1.9 does not allow me to open maps (MALFORMED)

• '15

When I open the newest version of TripleA (1.9.0.0.3627), I get an error that prevents me from opening any map.  It seems I can open saved games, but not the maps themselves.  I’ve attached the error log.

I checked, and my Java is fully up to date (Version 8, update 121).  I’m not sure what’s causing the issue.  It doesn’t seem to be map related, and I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled a few times already.

I appreciate any insight.  I’m kinda out of ideas.
    errorjava.txt

• Let’s try to sort it out.

1. What happens when you open saved games? Do they really appear?

2. Which TripleA version did you use before updating to 1.9.0.0.3627?

3. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java itself?
    This has fixed a lot of similar problems in the past.
    In case you did not and assuming you are on Windows please see

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

After removing get the latest Java Runtime Environment from www.java.com (better choose the offline-installer) matching your OS. Install either the 32bit or the 64bit version (depending on what you need).

Please report back.

• '15

I will try that and report back.  All my saved games right now are on the old engine, and they do seem to open properly.

I appreciate the help!

• I have edited my above post while you were answering so please see the additions.

How old is the “old engine”?
    In case you had played with 1.8.0.9 or an early 1.9 prerelease version the maps are incompatible.
    You need to reinstall all the maps for 1.9 then. 1.8.0.9 savegames may be continued with the 1.8.0.9 engine, though.
    (see http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38695.msg1589442#msg1589442
    and http://www.triplea-game.org/upgrade_notes/ )

• '15

I was playing with 1.8.0.9 previously.  So I am aware of the incompatibility of the saved games and such.  I downloaded the new map directly from the github (BM 3.2 - It had been modified this week) and put it in the folder for the new install.

• OK then the error you experienced is most likely due to map incompatibilities.

Also:
    Be sure to place the map.zip into the C:\users"user"\triplea\downloadedMaps folder unless you did not manually change the default target directory for downloaded maps in the programs settings. This directory has changed from 1809, too.

Or use the ingame downloader to have the map directly placed into the correct directory.

TripleA will not find that map when placed in any other directory (including the game install directory).

• '15

Well, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling java, and I put the map in the directory you mentioned, but sadly it doesn’t seem to change anything.  I’m still getting the same error when I open the program or try to click the Select Map option.

If someone could post a saved game, I could check to see how well it works.

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.9
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: MALFORMED
    at java.util.zip.ZipCoder.toString(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile.getZipEntry(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile.access$900(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile$ZipEntryIterator.next(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile$ZipEntryIterator.nextElement(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile$ZipEntryIterator.nextElement(Unknown Source)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populateFromZip(NewGameChooserModel.java:101)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.parseMapFiles(NewGameChooserModel.java:86)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.<init>(NewGameChooserModel.java:44)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooser.getNewGameChooserModel(NewGameChooser.java:198)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.selectByName(GameSelectorModel.java:330)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.loadDefaultGame(GameSelectorModel.java:316)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.lambda$loadDefaultGame$95(GameSelectorModel.java:267)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)</init>

• Have you completely uninstalled 1.8.0.9 before  - being sure that no remnants existed in the install directory?
    In other words: Has the installation of 1.9 been a completely clean one?

Or have you just overwritten 1.8 with 1.9?

Or have you installed the versions side by side?

What is the content of the “maps” - directory to be found inside the triplea-install-directory?

• '15

Good question!  No, I actually still have my 1.8.0.9 installed.  I could try removing that.  Might fix the problem.  I’ve got an ongoing game using it, tho.

• When you place your 1.8.0.9 map that is still in use into the C:\users"user"\triplea\maps directory  (not downloadedMaps!) it should not interfere with 1.9 and you can continue that last game using 1.8.0.9.

When using side by side it is important that you have different install directories - and that the “map”-directory inside the triplea-1.9-install-directory does not contain anything else than the newest tutorial.zip.

• '15

I went ahead and deleted all traces of the 1.809 install along with all traces of the newer one.  And then reinstalled.  Sadly, I seem to be getting the same error.

Interestingly, the C:\users"user"\triplea\downloadedMaps folder no longer exists.

I really appreciate your help, P@nther!  Sorry to be a bother.

• '15

And I should specify that I downloaded the map from inside the TripleA program.

• '15

How interesting.  I was able to open a saved game (one created with the new engine) and everything appears to be working fine.  I just can’t create one from scratch, as it were.

• @Shin:

I went ahead and deleted all traces of the 1.809 install along with all traces of the newer one.� And then reinstalled.� Sadly, I seem to be getting the same error.

Interestingly, the C:\users"user"\triplea\downloadedMaps folder no longer exists.

I really appreciate your help, P@nther!� Sorry to be a bother.

Never mind, it’s always a nice challenge to get these things solved. ;-)

Next attempt:

Please download and install this newer version as a fresh install:
    https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/releases/download/1.9.0.0.3755/TripleA_1.9.0.0.3755_windows-64bit.exe

Then download the Global (containing BM) map using the ingame downloader and retry.
    Please look at the engine preferences/ engine settings / folders where the map install directory is supposed to be.

Please report back.

Late night now here in Germany, so I will be back to you tomorrow … good luck!

• @Shin:

How interesting.  I was able to open a saved game (one created with the new engine) and everything appears to be working fine.  I just can’t create one from scratch, as it were.

Interesting… please try the newer version as mentioned above…
    This is the version that I am using at the moment, and that opens and starts the latest BM without issues (at least on my PC).

• '19 '17 '16

What platform is this on? Windows? I can’t reproduce the problem on 32bit Linux.

If the install doesn’t create the downloadedMaps directory, that seems wrong.

• '19 '17 '16

One suggestion I would have is to download the map from github: https://github.com/triplea-maps/world_war_ii_global

Click clone/download and download zip would probably be the easiest way. Then make sure the zip is in the map download folder and called “world_war_ii_global-master.zip”

• @simon33:

If the install doesn’t create the downloadedMaps directory, that seems wrong.

Yes Simon, on Windows this might happen when installing without granting administrator rights.

Shin Ji, have you granted administrator rights to the installer when installing?

This is mandatory on Windows.

Either confirm the UAC-prompt when installing or run the installer as administrator.

Also:

@Shin:

@Shin:

And I should specify that I downloaded the map from inside the TripleA program.

So where on your harddrive did this map that you downloaded land then? Please check:

@P@nther:

Please look at the engine preferences/ engine settings / folders where the map install directory is supposed to be.

Sorry to ask that many details… but it probably helps getting behing this issue…

• In case we still have no success, I would additionally like to know:

What are the steps you are doing until the error message occurs?
    What action triggers the error message?

There is no error when you just start TripleA 1.9, right?
    I am assuming this because you say you can load savegames. Are these 1.8 savegames or 1.9 savegames?
    Also you are able to access the ingame downloader and download maps.

Apart from the savegames:
    Can you select a map?
    Can you start a Local Game?

Please describe as detailled as possible what you are actually doing.

• '15

@P@nther:

@Shin:

I went ahead and deleted all traces of the 1.809 install along with all traces of the newer one.� And then reinstalled.� Sadly, I seem to be getting the same error.

I really appreciate your help, P@nther!� Sorry to be a bother.

Never mind, it’s always a nice challenge to get these things solved. ;-)

Next attempt:

Please download and install this newer version as a fresh install:
    https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/releases/download/1.9.0.0.3755/TripleA_1.9.0.0.3755_windows-64bit.exe

Then download the Global (containing BM) map using the ingame downloader and retry.

Please report back.

Late night now here in Germany, so I will be back to you tomorrow … good luck!

Working my way through these ideas.  Installed the version above (as an admin) and downloaded the map with the ingame system, but then discovered that it was set to download to my general download directory (D:/downloads).  So I’m going to have to change that.  Stuck on super slow internet, so it may take a moment.

I’m running Windows 7 Professional.  So far the issue persists, but y’all have given several good ideas!  I will keep trying.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m