Tjoek's 1940 Global Map file and setup charts (Updated May 30th 2018)

• '17 '16

@Tjoek:

Thanks for all the input Baron Munchhausen. I will look into this when I’ve finished my current todo list of recentering country names and some more stiches coverups that I’ve missed previously.

I will certainly fix the skiy = sky and most likely the switch between Evenkiysky and Yenisey

You’re welcome,

The name switch has no consequence on G40 setup. There is no unit on these TTs.
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=35144.msg1367182#msg1367182

Other more or less official setups would require an adjustment to this change, if you ever decide to play a different timeline.

On “Evenkiysky” or “Evenkiyskiy”, it seems there is an english version and a russian name.
    Google goes with one “i” while the older map use two “i”.
    https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commonwealth/soviet_union_admin_1974.jpg

Don’t forget to correct this old “Timguska” which does not exist, for “Tunguska”.

I also agree with Patchman on that one, Sakha is at the good place:

Yakut S.S.R. should be renamed Irkutsk (or Irkutskaya Oblast) because it is exactly where Irkutsk would be on a map of Russia.
    Sakha is just another name for Yakut SSR, which the native Sakha language name for the territory in question, just like how Ohio from a Native American name or that Erie, Pennsylvania is from the Erie language and is also the name of the county surrounding it.

Irkutskaya Oblast seems the more exact name.

Irkutsk was the administrative center of the short-lived East Siberian Oblast, which existed from 1936 to 1937. The city subsequently became the administrative center of Irkutsk Oblast after East Siberian Oblast was divided into Chita Oblast and Irkutsk Oblast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irkutsk#History
    In addition, there is no unit on this TT in G40 setup.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Baron:

On “Evenkiysky” or “Evenkiyskiy”, it seems there is an english version and a russian name.
    Google goes with one “i” while the older map use two “i”.
    https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commonwealth/soviet_union_admin_1974.jpg

In that case I would go with the older map and the OOB name with the extra ‘i’. The game plays in older times so in my opinion should reflect older names when possible.

@Baron:

Don’t forget to correct this old “Timguska” which does not exist, for “Tunguska”.

Yeah thanks for reminding I just marked it on my todo layer in my graphical editor  :-)

@Baron:

I also agree with Patchman on that one, Sakha is at the good place:

Yakut S.S.R. should be renamed Irkutsk (or Irkutskaya Oblast) because it is exactly where Irkutsk would be on a map of Russia.
    Sakha is just another name for Yakut SSR, which the native Sakha language name for the territory in question, just like how Ohio from a Native American name or that Erie, Pennsylvania is from the Erie language and is also the name of the county surrounding it.

Irkutskaya Oblast seems the more exact name.

Irkutsk was the administrative center of the short-lived East Siberian Oblast, which existed from 1936 to 1937. The city subsequently became the administrative center of Irkutsk Oblast after East Siberian Oblast was divided into Chita Oblast and Irkutsk Oblast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irkutsk#History
    In addition, there is no unit on this TT in G40 setup.

Looking at the size of Yakut SSR the name should be short in order to not make it look weird. So Irkutsk seems the practical way to go. BTW Internet seems to often refer Irkutskaya Oblast to Irkutsk Oblast, but even that is to long for the size of the region on the map to fit in.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

After consulting with my game group I’ve decided to leave the Russian country names as is and only fix the typo Timguska into Tunguska (in fact it’s already fixed on my map).

The reason for not fixing the other issues Baron Munchhausen addresses is that those changes are major in the sense that it will impact strategy discussions on my map vs the rest of the world playing on the OOB boards or TripleA. So only for ‘compatibility’ reasons I leave the names as is.

Thanks for sharing it anyway Baron Munchhausen!

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

An minor update before I release my first G40 map file later this week.

I’ve centered many country names that where close to board edges and hence could not be centered well in the original design of the map. This includes the following territories:

• Europe side of the map:

• Denmark

• Northern Italy

• Sardinia

• French Central Africa

• Nigeria

• Pacific side of the map:

• Siberia

• New Guinea

• Queensland

• New South Wales

• Victoria

At the same time I’ve replaced all roundels with more vibrant artwork as well as placed Calcutta in the right location on the map.

See below for two examples of the work done.

Centered Denmark

Calcutta repositioning

• '17 '16

@Tjoek:

After consulting with my game group I’ve decided to leave the Russian country names as is and only fix the typo Timguska into Tunguska (in fact it’s already fixed on my map).

The reason for not fixing the other issues Baron Munchhausen addresses is that those changes are major in the sense that it will impact strategy discussions on my map vs the rest of the world playing on the OOB boards or TripleA. So only for ‘compatibility’ reasons I leave the names as is.

Did you discuss about a way to indicate correct name first and corresponding name below in a less predominant way or different color?
    Exemple:
    Irkutsk
    (Yakut SSR)
    Or
    Irkutsk
    (Yakut SSR)

You seemed to want a map as geographically accurate as possible.
    Changing Calcutta dot for instance.
    Keeping blatant mistake in naming region might upset you someday.
    No?

That’s why I’m saying is there someway to keep accuracy and solving correspondence issue one way or another.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Baron:

Did you discuss about a way to indicate correct name first and corresponding name below in a less predominant way or different color?
    Exemple:
    Irkutsk
    (Yakut SSR)
    Or
    Irkutsk
    (Yakut SSR)

No we didn’t as the aim for this map is to be as clean as possible even removing most of the neutral standing army markings etc.

• '17 '16

@Baron:

@Tjoek:

Exemple:
    Irkutsk
    (Yakut SSR)
    Or
    Irkutsk
    (Yakut SSR)

You seemed to want a map as geographically accurate as possible.
    Changing Calcutta dot for instance.
    Keeping blatant mistake in naming region might upset you someday.
    No?

That’s why I’m saying is there someway to keep accuracy and solving correspondence issues one way or another.

I can have my own kind of OCD for these not so little details.
    :-D

We can even tell the story of map designer about how they inversed Yenisey and Evenkiyskiy  position and take Yakut for Irkutsk…

(It can even be another factor about printing or not such a wonderful work for my own purpose.)

Another aspect which might come at you one of these days, are you going to have a lot of strategy discussion around these three Soviet Territories?

Once printed, you are going to live with it.

I might also suggest you may, please, please, please, simply put an alternate file with the correct names on due place (no additional correspondence markings, just right names). So, people may choose which map they want. All geographic correspondences right or G40 correspondences right.

Please…
    :-)

You are so near of a totally clean map on so many perspectives.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Baron:

Please…
    :-)

Because you asked so nicely  :-D

Not decided yet if I will incorporate this fix in my main map file, but I will be able to share this as a separate version.

• '17 '16

Pretty cool.
    Thanks.
    It is like a dream come true. :)

For one map or the other, you have to decide what level of OCD you can sustain, knowing it is not the correct names you printed on your map. ;)

Also, you would have to decide which are the correct names…
    depending on what you consider the benchmark: geography or premium classic G40.2.

Der Kuenstler had even printed two patches on his own map, and showed us live on Youtube how he glued to the whole map. So nothing is absolutely permanent. You can change your mind and do something about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzLz3iUN3uA

Edit.: I’m still staring at the picture and cannot believe it. Very nice.

• '17 '16 Customizer

I was gonna tell you about Tunguska, looks like your good.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I’m finalizing the color balance on my map! Looking forward to hear what you all think of the final map.

In the mean time I’ve made a difference of the original map file I started working with januari last year and my end result. It looks very impressive knowing that everything that’s not white has been manually changed. It shows far more then I expected it to show as I’ve re-centered far more SZ numbers then I thought I did:

A long but definitely not a complete list of things that I have changed:

Cleanup

• Removed all scratches

• Fixed many issues on the map due to stitching the different scans together and/or the folding lines on the map (e.g. diagonal lines on neutrals didn’t run straight, borders where strange most noticeable in Switzerland)

• Fixed issues on map due to artwork mistakes on the original board itself (e.g. water texture in Eastern United States, mirrored island in United Kingdom, Calcutta and Sidney now have a square capital marking instead of circle victory city marker, Malta didn’t have a shore, etc)

• Removed adjacent to text on territories (as they are not needed in 2nd edition)

• Enhanced contrast of most text

• Balanced colors to hide seems between different scans, especially visible in the Pacific

• Himalaya thicker stroke around text, similar to the other text on the map

• Re aligned sea zone borders so that they are now lining up properly, so all lines run perfect vertical or horizontal

• Re centered most of the sea zone numbers as well as the convoy and kamikaze markings

• Re centered names of many territories like Denmark, Northern Italy, Mexico, Victoria, Urals, etc

• Replaced all roundels with same but more vibrant artwork based of the vector images in the rule books

• Aligned roundels to have equal vertical spacing with territory names

2nd Edition changes

• Yukon and British Columbia are merged into Western Canada

• Added border between Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba and Central United States

• Added border between Quebec and New Brunswick Nova Scotia

• Made Mexico longer to end at bottom of Sea Zone 10

• Correct spelling of Palau

• Correct spelling of Suiyuan

• Removed ‘Burma Road’ name

• French Equatorial Africa layout change so it is now in line with rest of the board (first line wider then second line)

Enhancements

• Removed standing army icons on neutrals

• Re centered territory names of neutrals and changed Switzerland to the same font size as the other territories

• Correct spelling of Chinese territories: Anhwei and Hopeh

• Correct names of Russian territories:

• Evenkiyskiy -> Yenisey

• Yenisey -> Evenkiyskiy

• Yakut S.S.R. -> Irkutsk

• Timguska -> Tunguska

• Iwo Jima in right orientation

• Honolulu in right location

• Calcutta in right location

• Removed big non existing island ‘Atlantis’ from Sea Zone 44

• Replaced adjacent to text markings in sea zones with cleaner just numbers solution

• Removed Mobilization Zones and Axis and Allies logos from both corners

• Added Italian Fasces roundels

• '17 '16

I cannot even imagine numbers of hours it took to do it.
    And this not include time to report about it.

I raise my hat.

What a job!

• I am a little bummed I already printed a 1940 map. Well at least I don’t have to decide between yours and Siredblood’s.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Baron:

I cannot even imagine numbers of hours it took to do it.
    And this not include time to report about it.

I raise my hat.

What a job!

Thanks! It really is hundreds of hours. I don’t even want to know the exact number…

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@bgugs:

Well at least I don’t have to decide between yours and Siredblood’s.

Just collect them all  :-D

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Just a quick update. I’ve found a nice color profile close to Intreprids color corrections so I’m happy with that.

I did however found some new things to fix after feedback from my gaming group. The most important changes:

• Move the sea border between 108 and 109 as well as 118 and 119 a bit more to the left to have more distance between the border and EIre so you can easily spot that 109 and 119 are connected

• Put French Central Africa on 2 lines instead of the OOB 3 lines so that the IPC value can move down out of the Sahara area

I have some more reviews coming in. So fingers crossed it won’t be a full rework  :-P

• The link to these changes in a new map file are where?

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Tjoek:

@bgugs:

Well at least I don’t have to decide between yours and Siredblood’s.

Just collect them all  :-D

I agree :)

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Imperious:

The link to these changes in a new map file are where?

Just posted the first preview release of the map file as a dropbox link in my first post. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

• I think it looks amazing.

Since you’ve been updating territory names. One or two things have been bothering me since the release of the OOB maps.

Volgograd. I’ve been thinking what it should be named instead. Maybe Don-Volga or Don Valley or something like that.
    Samara. Whilst not as egregious as Volgograd, this territory and its capital city were called Kuybyshev and Kuybyshev Oblast from 1936 to 1991.

Also, maybe Gibraltar and sz 110 (English channel) could be slighly larger?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m