What is considered fair with technology rules?

• Hi, I just played a game of a&a revised.  Each power started with one "special ability "  The US had superfortress making the bombers immune to AA fire.  The US rolled 3 dice for heavy bombers round 1.  By round 2, the US had long-range heavy bombers, and caught the Japanese fleet off guard destroing it.  On round 3, the
    US reduced the German IPCs in industrial bombing by 26IPCs, at the end of round 3, the US had 8 bombers that are long range, heavy, and immune to AA fire.

So, all the US has to do is get technology which is reasonably likely to attain because you get to choose which technology to research.  It is most likely to take 4 dice for technology to get heavy bombers, so it’s relatively cheap.  Even without long-range, it is only a matter of 4 turns before the US has enough bombers to reduce Germany’s income to 0.  How can the Axis ever win?

Maybe technology should cost more? or is it only fair without it?

• long range, heavy bombers that are immune to AA problem

quick fix:

*make superfortress not TOTALLY immune to AA fire
    *allow multiple AA, but each AA can only target 3 air units (like world at war expansion?)

SBR bleeding Germany no-game problem

quick fix:

*round limit instead of turn limit for IPC damage
    *allow multiple AA, but each AA can only target 3 air units (like world at war expansion?)

• Axis and Allies Revised National Advantages are very imbalanced.  It’s been discussed for quite some time on this and other forums, look around a bit.  The OOB/FAQ Allied NAs are far superior to the Axis NAs, and often offer simple win conditions (i.e. produce fighters with UK and US and fly them to Russia with Lend Lease, or build bombers with US and industrial bomb Germany with Superfortresses)

By the way, your example is a bit unusual.  I think the usual order is US build 2 bombers, US build 3 bombers, US roll for tech and build a bomber, US roll for tech if not already gotten and build more bombers, repeat ad nauseam.

Tech is also imbalanced.  In particular, you can try OOB Rockets with Germany.

In l33tspeak,

Zomg, AARe NAs/Tech IMBA!  LHTR 0r 4t l345t FAQ 40fix!!!1!

(Oh my god, Axis and Allies Revised National Advantages / Technology Research is imbalanced!  Larry Harris Tournament Rules or at least FAQ for the fix, lots of exclamation marks!)

• Fair technology development?

6 different technology for 5 major power. (30 differents weapons development)
    Let see… You are the UK player so roll a dice anf if you get 6. you choose among the 6 UK technology.

AL.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Fair?  This is war, who wants fair!?!?!

Seriously, LHTR is the way to go with NAs.  They nerf the allies a lot, but also the axis a little.

If you want to use the rules from the box, try giving the allies 2 advantages and each axis power 2 advantages.  Roll random for the allies, let the axis pick after the allied advantages have been determined.

That should seriously hamper the allies even with vastly superior advantages and give the axis a better chance.

Or, you could assign a monetary figure to each advantage.  Add up all the allied advantages, subtract the axis advantages and give that much money to the axis to invest in units to place before game starts (this would be on top of any bidding you may have to begin with.)

Superfortresses may be 100 IPC
    Atlantic Wall may be 30 IPC

Thus the axis here would get 70 IPC in units.

(These numbers are for demonstration only, obviously 70 IPC (+14 tanks!) would be an automatic death bell for Russia! So these would not work.)

• the only two tech worth buying are heavy bobmers for america and rockets for germany. the others are worthless except super subs in a KJF game.

@cyan:

the only two tech worth buying are heavy bobmers for america and rockets for germany. the others are worthless except super subs in a KJF game.

Or in a Kill America First game.  Remember, this is AAR.  With the right techs and the right advantages, killing America first while Germany stalls Russia and England becomes viable.

• And what about heavy tank???
    Worthless???

Naaaa… If you don’t like technology maybe it’s because you don’t know how to used it.
    More tech you have better it is.
    Your chance to win are much better if you get new tech.

One thing is sure, the german player cannot win only with rocket.

AL.

• @Jennifer:

Or in a Kill America First game.  Remember, this is AAR.  With the right techs and the right advantages, killing America first while Germany stalls Russia and England becomes viable.

Am I missing something?
    Whats your KAF build?

Talking KAF with National Advantages and Technologies.  And I dont want to disclose that info.  Much more fun to surprise America with it, if you get the right advantages and tecks. WEG

• @crusaderiv:

And what about heavy tank???

there a heavy tank tech?  :? :?

• I guess he was referring to some variant or house rule.
    No Heavy Tank in OOB or LHTR. Just Super Heavy Tank. :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m