• That is my understanding too Wolf.

• @Flashman:

Hess had a big row with Hitler over this, believing that the best way to end the war was to smash the British while they had the chance.

Hess row was sooo big that he flew over the channel to tell the British People in Person, that Germany is going to Smash them anyways! 8-)

• @Wolfshanze:

@SS:

There’s your answer.

That’s not as clear cut as you make it out to be… yes, Hitler ordered the halt of the Panzers… and yes, there was talk of Hitler not wanting to totally crush the British, but at the very same time, he listened to Goering and TOTALLY Okay’d letting the Luftwaffe go nuts on the British at Dunkirk… having Goering throw everything but the kitchen sink at Dunkirk and Hitler doing nothing to stop it hardly goes in-line with the “he totally let them go” line of thinking.

As I said in my previous post, it’s really a very wishy-washy action and/or lack of action by Hitler on whether or not he was sincere about letting the English off the hook… if he was totally sold on the “let them go” line, he would have told Goering to stand-down… if he was totally on the “kill them all”, he would have sent the Panzers in.

As stated, the Third Reich and Hitler’s meddling often led to unclear policies and missed opportunities, the least of which was Hitler’s unstated policy of letting the different branches of the Third Reich constantly compete with one another, often at the detriment to national goals.

I don’t think anybody can say “yes he let them go” or “no, he totally tried to stop them”… the fact of the matter is, he kinda let them go while kinda trying to stop them.

There’s your answer.  :-D :? :evil: :? :-D :? :evil:

• Has  anyone seen Logan allready??
    A co-worker of mine saw it and said it was a good watch.
    Had nothing glamoures on it and portayed kind of dark but interstingly made
    (Story board wise).

I doubt that i am going to see the movie in theatre.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

It took full advantage of the R-rating but I just wish that with all the heads and limbs being chopped off they could have cut fifteen minutes. A little too much exposition at times for a character we are very, very familiar with.

• “Logan” is not a warm fuzzy tale despite getting some dirt in your eyes here and there. Does a lot of things I’d wish other comic book movies would do. Smaller tale, focused and not trying to be part of some sort of trilogy or shoehorn in previews for a bunch of other movies, personal story, not another origin story, not trying to shoehorn in 50 years of the character, fine performances, action sequences mostly coherent and bloody/graphic, is actually about something.

Villain is a little weak but that isn’t what the movies about.

I didn’t think it was too long.

Good movie. Very good “comic book” movie. Certainly the best Wolverine movie and makes a strong argument for the best of the X-men franchise. Well above Last Stand and Apocalypse. Recommended.

Not for kids, particularly little kids. Lots of f-bombs and adult themes and graphic violence (decapitations and severed limbs and claws through skulls.) No nudity/sex though.

• Lion was a great movie very touching but a bit slow at times.

Would never see a comic book anything, never have. I think they dumb down the human race and are the leading cause of diabetes. Sorry that’s how i feel.

• @Imperious:

Lion was a great movie very touching but a bit slow at times.

Lion was great! Particularly the first half which just felt so authentic a depiction of a small child being lost amidst India’s huge morass of people and poverty.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Imperious:

Would never see a comic book anything, never have. I think they dumb down the human race and are the leading cause of diabetes. Sorry that’s how i feel.

:lol:

Most comic book movies are the same, in both formula and content, not to mention believeability. Chris Nolan’s Dark Knight work is easily the best though. The themes are deeper, the story more cohesive and the content is at least realistically portrayed. And it doesn’t try to be grander than three films with a single main character. Definitely worth your time if you ever decided to watch a comic book movie.

• Customizer

Super is a comic book movie worth seeing, mainly because it sends up the entire genre.

• Then you know u will like Dunkirk

• Most comic book movies are the same, in both formula and content, not to mention believeability.

Like hot plastic pressed into a toy for mass consumption. They never engage the mind or sentiments other than base feelings and are based on whimsical every 20 seconds of special effects and horrible acting. Look at how these movies are always marketed. Always fast food and snacks tied into the promo because they understand their audience well. Its a turn off mind movie. IMO ( don’t mean to argue the point).

@Imperious:

Most comic book movies are the same, in both formula and content, not to mention believeability.

Like hot plastic pressed into a toy for mass consumption. They never engage the mind or sentiments other than base feelings and are based on whimsical every 20 seconds of special effects and horrible acting. Look at how these movies are always marketed. Always fast food and snacks tied into the promo because they understand their audience well. Its a turn off mind movie. IMO ( don’t mean to argue the point).

For the vast majority of comic/superhero movies, I certainly agree. They don’t care to rise above their genre because there is a safe bet of lots of money in staying dumb, predictable and bombastic.

I don’t know… perhaps Batman is the superhero best suited to a grounded film adaptation. He isn’t supernaturally blessed with abnormal abilities. He is a flawed human with reasonable motivations and resources. The Dark Knight movies are the only comic films I can wholeheartedly recommend as approaching if not meeting your standards. It was a perfect storm of subject matter, director, actors and script that made for such engaging and well crafted movies.

At most you will lose a couple hours of your life. :wink:

• '17 '16

Did you catch Logan?  That movie was awesome, and not a super-hero costume to be seen anywhere in the movie… way more engaging than anything DC has put-out, including the Batman movies… I’m not even really a fan of the X-men, but my son wanted to see Logan, so we went, and wow, that was a really fantastic movie that was nothing like any “superhero” movie I’ve seen before.

Speaking of DC and Batman movies… I caught a recent trailer for Justice League… and someone asks Batman what his superpower is… his reply?  “I’m really rich”.  I lol’d that line.

I have heard that Logan is fantastic. Probably going to wait until I can rent it though. I tend to only go see films in theater that I am highly interested in or anticipated for some time (e.g. Dunkirk).

The later X-men films have been much better than earlier ones, but it was never a franchise I was very interested in. The seemingly inconsistent way that 20th Century Fox has handled the brand kinda turned me off too. Granted X-Men (2000) was what I would call the very first of the modern super hero, comic book film genre (post-90s). It (and Spiderman 2002) began the glut of super hero films we have now. Still going strong almost 20 years later. Back to X-Men… I don’t think the idea of a cinematic universe existed back in 1999-2000. And I doubt they could have known that the franchise would be so profitable, so I cannot entirely blame 20th Century Fox for all the faults I see in the X-men franchise. They didn’t know what they were doing and I am judging from a more modern perspective.

• '17 '16

You and I may be similar on the X-Men franchise… I actually saw several of the earlier X-men movies, but neither the comic series nor the movie franchise was really my cup of tea… the franchise also has been plagued by a lot of incontinuity issues as they jump around a lot and contradict itself at the same time… I had skipped over the last few X-men movies and only saw Logan because my son loves Wolverine and really really wanted to go, so I took the family.

Having said that, and my personal views of the X-men franchise… I was deeply moved by Logan… it was a really, Really, REALLY good movie… so this is not some X-men fan-boy reaction to the movie… it was so good, it makes me want to go back and see the other movies I missed (like Days of Future Past)… I might regret the decision to go back and dig up the X-men movies I missed, but Logan was so good, I want to see all of them now.

Marvel has been hitting movies really right lately, especially the entire Avengers franchise and its supporting cast of Super Hero movies and tie-ins… Logan is really a quality movie but it’s not really comparable with any other Marvel movie other than the fact Marvel hit this one out of the park. If only Marvel had treated the X-men franchise as well as they treated the Avengers and Logan movie… that would have been something.

Oh, and PS… if you do go see Logan in theater… yes, it’s a Marvel movie, but NO… don’t wait till the end of the credits… Logan was far too serious to put a sneak peak at the end of the credits… in fact, the sneak peak is at the beginning of Logan… so when the movie ends, go ahead and leave the theatre, you won’t miss anything!

• Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox can’t act their way out of a bag. The worst actors in History

@Wolfshanze:

Having said that, and my personal views of the X-men franchise… I was deeply moved by Logan… it was a really, Really, REALLY good movie… so this is not some X-men fan-boy reaction to the movie… it was so good, it makes me want to go back and see the other movies I missed (like Days of Future Past)… I might regret the decision to go back and dig up the X-men movies I missed, but Logan was so good, I want to see all of them now.

I always thought X2 was good for some reason. Seems a bit pedestrian by today’s standards, but it has a good story to it. First Class and Days of Future past were decent. The actors are great and there are some excellent moments. (Fall into middle category below)

I guess that I have three categories of films:

• those that aren’t worth watching
    • those that are worth watching for cultural or entertainment value and
    • those that are of high quality or appeal and have a re-watchability that merits actually owning them

X-Men (2000) is terrible. Particularly when viewed in 2017. It is outright corny. Supposedly it was well received at the time, but I don’t get it. It’s worth watching if you truly intend to go back and see them all, if only to get perspective on where the franchise began. But last time I saw it I didn’t have a good opinion.

All the rest of the movies blur together for me. I remember seeing X-Men Origins: Wolverine and being underwhelmed.

@Wolfshanze:

Marvel has been hitting movies really right lately, especially the entire Avengers franchise and its supporting cast of Super Hero movies and tie-ins… Logan is really a quality movie but it’s not really comparable with any other Marvel movie other than the fact Marvel hit this one out of the park. If only Marvel had treated the X-men franchise as well as they treated the Avengers and Logan movie… that would have been something.

I don’t mind a film that stands on its own as excellent, even if it is part of a series. As long as it can be watched as a single film. Iron Man was like that for me. I love the first one… the sequels not so much.

As for Marvel’s involvement, I know that in the first two films it was basically zero. At least their name isn’t associated with the production. So they weren’t able to give input on the basis of the series. Seems like they came in the middle and gradually have been given more creative sway. Kinda similar to the 5 Spiderman films we have had up to now. Spiderman is a Marvel character, but Sony had total creative rights on the films and didn’t have to coordinate them with Marvel’s input or future plans.

Clearly both Sony and 20th Century Fox have hedged their bets a little and cooperated with Marvel/Disney to some degree now. I think they have at least partly recognized that Disney is both doing it right and has established something so massive that it is better to work together than try to compete. At least in regards to these two properties.

@Wolfshanze:

Oh, and PS… if you do go see Logan in theater… yes, it’s a Marvel movie, but NO… don’t wait till the end of the credits… Logan was far too serious to put a sneak peak at the end of the credits… in fact, the sneak peak is at the beginning of Logan… so when the movie ends, go ahead and leave the theatre, you won’t miss anything!

Good. I think the post credits crap is annoying.

@Imperious:

Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox can’t act their way out of a bag. The worst actors in History

Good thing they aren’t in any of these movies then.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

One thing I have to say about DC’s attempt at a cinematic universe is I can’t stand how they continue to double down on Zach Snyder’s drab and dark color palettes. To IL’s point Marvel/Disney have a formula down pat, but it works for the most part. One of the factors are the brighter lighting and colors, which invigorates the film. While those films have plenty of flaws, they’re often much easier to sit through.

I’m not a comic book guy either but I do wish we got a straight adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns instead of having elements of it be sprinkled into films.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m