• Introduction
    This is an alternative strategy that is based on creating the German Afrika Korps in order to send Germany Tanks early to the Middle East to support Italy against the United Kingdom or get rich by going into Southern Russia and Africa. Therefore the European Axis will not advance west or east, but south towards Egypt. Erwin Rommel is in high command of the Wehrmacht. He has convinced Hitler to let him take command of the German Panzer Division and reorganized it into the Afrika Korps. At the start of the game Erwin Rommel is in command of 9 Tanks, 4 Mechanised Infantry, 6 Infantry supported by himself in the Tobruk fighter. The Baltic Fleet has been reorganised into the German Tropical Fleet and the Luftwaffe ordered to take key positions around the Mediterranean after the Royal Navy has been destroyed. More than Lebensraum in Russia or control of Great Britain the Germans aim for oil from the Middle East and Southern Russia plus gold from Africa to match the war industry of the Allies.

Strategic Goal
    Get the Victory City of Egypt as soon as possible and transform Africa, Middle East and Southern Russia into Axis controlled territory in order to win economic superiority over the Allies. In short: go for the $$$!

Rational for Strategy
    There are 36 IPC for the Axis to be gained in Africa while they can gain 16 IPC in the Middle East. This total of 52 IPC would at first be a waste to not consider taking and second is nearly as much as the 58 IPC that can be gained from conquering Russia. Combine this with Southern Russia (18 IPC) and you gain 70 IPC. Compared to Russia the Middle East and Africa are lighter defended. I feel that for most Axis the consensus is that Germans have no real strategic advantage in Africa and only look to Sea Lion (West) or Barbarossa (East). This strategy hopes to advocate a third option: to go South.

Africa
    Africa can be divided into two regions, North Africa and Sub Saharan Africa. The goal of the Axis is to conquer North Africa as soon as possible. Sub Saharan Africa should wait for after North Africa, Middle East and Southern Russia is taken and Egypt firm in control of the Axis. Therefore one should always send the Afrika Korps to places as Egypt, Southern Russia or the Middle East where hostile resistance is strongest. If they survived those battles, send them to Sub Saharan Africa for their final mission.

The Axis have two opponents in the Middle East and Africa, the British and the French. While you defeated the French in the first turn of the Germans there are 8 IPC to be taken in Africa and the Middle East, also providing Italy +5 for North Africa. The United Kingdom however can hold you out of Africa and the Middle East on their own, if not given the proper attention.

The United Kingdom
    The UK has the forces and initiative to cripple Italy by doing Taranto, killing your Italian forces in Tobruk and Ethiopia and quickly take over the Middle East by reinforcements from India. This is also what happens in most of the games. What is clear, is that Italy is not able to take on the United Kingdom by their own, they need German and Japanese support. The current consensus is to do either do Sea Lion, build a German fleet in the Mediterranean or strafe Egypt with the Luftwaffe. Sea Lion has been proved to be sub-optimal. The Egyptian strafe might be worth it, but might also cost you a huge proportion of your Luftwaffe that is difficult to replace so early. Building German fleet in the Mediterranean sounds best, but could be still taken out by the RAF and needs a big investment. All sub-optimal options in my eyes. I do however realize I have to focus on the UK first with Germany if I want to take over Africa and the Middle East and support Italy.

In order to defeat the United Kingdom you will use threat and surprise.

1. Threat: Building German Tropical and Baltic Fleet
    Normally the German player decides what it is going to do: Sea Lion or Barbarossa. Especially now Sea Lions has been proved to be sub-optimal many choose Barbarossa in G1 but especially G2. This gives the UK green light to go full offensive against Italy. Although I do not want to do Sea Lion, I also do not want to give the UK green light to go on the offensive so early. Therefore my first build is 1 Aircraft Carrier, 1 Transport and 1 Submarine. In my second build I build another Aircraft Carrier, 3 Transports, 1 Destroyer, 2 Submarines and 3 Artillery. With building all this fleet as Germany I create a lot of threat to the United Kingdom, forcing them to play defensive or they might lose London. Japan already has a big fleet in the beginning and therefore builds mainly Transports (7 in total) in the first two turns, while positioning for taking India. As Germany and Japan go before the United Kingdom you might manipulate them to not play so offensive in Africa and the Middle East against Italy.

Although I might have signaled Sea Lion with Germany the fleet builds are created for other reasons. In your first turn you buy a Submarine ready to start convoying London in UK2. The Aircraft Carrier and Transport allows you to send the Bismarck, full Aircraft Carrier and two full Transports to the Mediterranean (take Gibraltar and Morocco in G2 to help Italy). This fleet will give you a lot of mobility for the Germans while only needs an investment of 23 IPC. Also, this fleet will remain a threat to the United Kingdom long enough to stop the RAF from reinforcing the Mediterranean. Japan in his turn will send a big portion of his fleet with 2 full Transports to SZ36 threatening India which might causes the UK to leave his airplanes in India (defense).

In my second build I mainly focus against Russia. The Aircraft Carrier and Destroyer function as your new Baltic Fleet, able to take out the small Russian fleet. The 3 Transports gives the ability to take advantage of situations like effective defense of Scandinavia or capture of Leningrad. Your Submarine will block SZ125 to limit Russian income and the other Submarine could either replace or reinforce the Submarine convoying London.

Combined with the destruction of the Royal Navy in SZ110, 111 and 106 you force the United Kingdom to make decisions that could distract them from attacking Italy. Your goal is to make Italy self-sustainable to expand before the United Kingdom can take them out and therefore forcing you to remain with a low income.

2. Surprise: The Afrika Korps
    Another major aspect of this strategy is the Afrika Korps. This means sending all your initial German armoured troops to the Middle East, this force is under command of Erwin Rommel (Tobruk Fighter). The Afrika Korps consists out of 9 Tanks, 4 Mechanized Infantry and 6 Infantry that are send towards Africa, the Middle East and Southern Russia. First Wave (3 Tanks and 4 Mech. Infantry) reinforced by Second Wave (6 Tanks, 6 Infantry). As mentioned the Afrika Korps will be supported by the German Tropical Fleet and I personally will send another Fighter and 2 Tactical Bombers to Africa or the Middle East. In order to send these armoured troops to the Middle East, you will do a Neutral Crush as the Axis, in I3 by capturing Turkey. Germany captures Sweden in G3 and Span in G4. While the building of the German fleet provides threat to the United Kingdom, sending these troops through Turkey in G3 provides a surprise for the Allies, as this is uncommon play.

Doing these two main actions as Germany allows you possibly to contain the UK offensive and push them out of Africa and the Middle East early in the game. Personally I would prefer to let Italy take the Middle East (16 IPC) while Germany sends his Afrika Korps towards Souther Russia (14 IPC) and the German Tropical Fleet focuses on the capture of Africa (36 IPC). However they are all in position to focus on a single Allied stronghold. So might the German Tropical Fleet in G4 attack Egypt, Caucasus, Ukraine, Rostov or if Italy has seen chance to capture Egypt before Germany to go for South Africa.

This could be a possible Axis Step by Step battle plan

Germany Turn 1
    You now have 2 Bombers

Purchase new units
    1 Aircraft Carrier, 1 Transport, 1 Submarine

Combat Movement
    France with 7 Infantry, 3 Artillery, 6 Tanks
    Strafe Yugoslavia with 4 Mech. Infantry, 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 3 Tanks, 1 Fighter
    S110 with 2 Subs, 2 Bomber, 2 Fighters, 2 Tactical (1 UK Battleship, 1 UK Cruiser)
    S111 with 1 Sub, 2 Fighters, 2 Tactical (1 UK Battleship, 1 UK Destroyer)
    S112 with 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser, 1 Tactical (1 UK Cruiser, 1 French Cruiser)
    S106 with 2 Sub (1 Destroyer, 1 Transport)

Noncombat movement
    3 Infantry from Norway to Finland
    1 Infantry from Denmark, 1 Artillery from Germany to Norway by transport in SZ 112
    3 Infantry from Romania to Bulgaria
    Move 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery from Germany to Western Germany
    Move 9 Infantry, 3 AAA from Germany to Poland
    Move 3 Infantry from Poland to Slovakia/Hungary
    Move 2 Infantry Slovakia/Hungary to Romania
    Move 3 Western Germany AAA to Holland
    Move Erwin Rommel himself in the Fighter from Slovakia to Tobruk to start coordinating the Italian Army and Afrika Korps
    Move 2 Tactical to SZ112

Place new units
    Fleet in SZ112

Collect Income
    $37 Income
    $10 National Objectives
    $19 France treasury
    $1
    = $67

Japan Turn 1
    You now have 3 Aircraft Carriers

Purchase new units
    3 Transport, 1 Artillery

Combat Movement
    Yunnan with 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical, 2 Bombers
    Hunnan with 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter
    Anhwe with 6 Infantry, 2 Artillery
    Chahar with 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Amur with 9 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mech, Infantry, 8 Fighters, 6 Tactical if Russian player left 6+ Infantry, otherwise keep the peace with Russia for some rounds

Noncombat movement
    Move 1 Transport from SZ19 to SZ36 with 1 Infantry (Okinawa), 1 Infantry (Manchuria)
    Move 1 Transport from SZ6 to SZ36 with 1 Tank, 1 Infantry (Japan)
    Move 1 Transport from SZ20 to SZ6
    Move 3 Aircraft Carriers, 2 Submarine and 2 Destroyers to SZ36
    All aircraft lands in Jehol

Place new units
    Transports in SZ6, Artillery in Japan

Collect Income
    $30 Income
    $10 National Objectives
    = $40

Italy Turn 1

Purchase new units
    In case of Taranto: 1 Transport and 1 Infantry. Otherwise, 1 Fighter

Combat Movement
    Attack Syria with 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery with full fleet (without Taranto)
    Attack Southern France 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 Bomber
    Attack Yugoslavia with 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter
    Attack Tunisia with 1 Artillery, 1 Infantry, 1 Mech. Infantry
    Attack Alexandria with 1 Tank, 1 Artillery, 3 Infantry only when Egypt is lightly defended
    If Yugoslavia did not work out because Germany has it, attack Kenya and Sudan if still possible

Noncombat movement
    Move 1 Tank from Northern Italy to Bulgaria

Place new units
    Transport in SZ97 or Fighter in Southern Italy

Collect Income
    $16 Income
    = $16

Germany Turn 2
    You now have 2 Bombers

Purchase new units
    3 Transports, 1 Aircraft Carrier, 1 Destroyer, 2 Submarine, 3 Artillery

Combat Movement
    Attack Gibraltar with 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery (Afrika Korps Fleet)
    Attack Morocco with 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery (Afrika Korps Fleet)
    Attack Greece with 6 Infantry, 4 Mech. Infantry, 3 Tanks
    Attack Normandy with 3 Artillery and possibly surviving Infantry France
    Attack UK fleet with Luftwaffe

Non Combat Movement
    Move to Poland
    Move to Western Germany with 3 Infantry
    Move 2 AA-guns from Holland to Normandy
    Move to Yugoslavia with 6 Tanks from France
    Move Submarine from SZ112 to SZ109
    Bombers land in Southern Italy

Deploy New Troops
    Fleet in SZ112, Artillery in Western Germany

Collect Income
    $ 42
    $ 10
    = $52

Japan Turn 2

Purchase new units
    4 Transports, 4 Infantry

Combat Movement
    Suiyuyan with 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Hopei with 1 Infantry
    Kweichow with 4 Infantry, 2 Artillery
    Szechwan with 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 8 Fighters, 6 Tactical, 2 Bombers
    French Indo China with 2 Infantry

Noncombat movement
    Move 4 full transports with 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser to SZ36

Place new units
    Transports in SZ6, Infantry in Japan

Collect Income
    $36 Income
    = $36

You now have 10 Transports, 17 Infantry, 3 Artillery, 9 Fighters, 8 Tactical

Italy Turn 2

Purchase new units
    3 Artillery, 1 Mech. Infantry

Combat Movement
    Attack Turkey with 1 Bomber, 2 Fighters, 2 Tanks, 2 Artillery, 4 Infantry (this is the most crucial battle of the strategy)
    Attack Algeria with 1 Artillery, 1 Infantry
    Kill last UK ships in the Mediterranean
    Attack Alexandria

Noncombat movement
    Liberate Iraq with 1 Infantry from Syria

Place new units
    Artillery in Southern France, Mech. Infantry in Northern Italy

Collect Income
    $21 Territory Income
    $17 National Objective Income
    = $38

Germany Turn 3
    You now have 2 Bombers

Purchase
    9 Mech. Infantry, 1 Bomber, 1 Submarine

Combat Movement
    Take Sweden
    Take Karelia
    Take Vyborg
    Take Baltic States with 17 Infantry, 3 Artillery, 5 Tanks
    Look for best option Africa Korps (Caucasus, Iraq, Syria, Northwest Persia or combination)
    Take Malta with reinforcements from German Tropical Fleet
    Attack Russian Baltic fleet

Non-Combat Movement
    Move Submarine from SZ112 to SZ125
    Move Submarine from SZ112 to SZ109
    Move with 6 Infantry to Turkey
    Move with 6 Tanks to Greece

Deploy New Units
    9 Mech. Infantry in Germany, 1 Bomber in Western Germany, Submarine in SZ112

Collect Income
    $50
    $10
    = $60

Japan Turn 3
    NOTE: If the USA and UK have no transports to take Spain this turn, Declare War.

Purchase new units
    1 Minor Factory, 1 Naval Base, 3 Infantry

Combat Movement
    Attack Sikang
    Attack Shensi
    Attack Kansu
    Attack Thingsai

Noncombat movement
    Move 4 Full Transports with 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser to SZ36

Place new units
    Minor Factory and Naval Base in French Indo China, Infantry in Japan

Collect Income
    $40 Income
    = $40

Italy Turn 3

Purchase new units
    6 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Bomber

Combat Movement
    Blitz through Northwest Persia into Persia
    Attack Trans-Jordan with 1 Infantry
    Attack Saudi Arabia with 3 Infantry
    Attack Egypt with Africa forces
    Attack Spain with 5 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 2 Fighters, 1 Bomber

Place new units
    2 Infantry, 1 Artillery in France, 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, Bomber in Southern Italy

Collect Income
    $29 Territory Income
    $21 National Objective Income
    = $50

Germany Turn 4
    You now have 3 Bombers

Purchase
    2 Bombers, 3 Artillery, 6 Mech. Infantry, 1 Submarine

Combat Movement
    Take Leningrad with 20 Infantry, 5 Artillery, 3 Bombers, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical
    Take or get into Egypt with German Afrika Fleet troops
    Take Caucasus with 5 Tanks, 6 Infantry from Afrika Korps (2nd Wave)

Non-Combat Movement

Deploy New Units
    Bombers in Western Germany, 3 Mech. Infantry in France, 3 Artillery in Normandy, 3 Mech. Infantry in Germany, 1 Submarine in SZ112 or SZ105

Collect Income
    $57
    $20
    = $77

Japan Turn 4

Purchase new units
    3 Fighters, 3 Infantry

Combat Movement
    Attack India with 17 Infantry, 3 Artillery, 9 Fighters, 8 Tactical, 2 Battleship, 2 Cruisers, 1 Destroyer
    Bombard Russia with 2 Bombers

Noncombat movement
    Place new units
    Place units in Japan

Collect Income
    $43 Income
    $5 Objective
    $20 UK treasury
    = $68

Italy Turn 4

Purchase new units
    10 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Bomber

Combat Movement
    Defend Europe
    Create Can Openers in Russia
    Look for best options in Africa
    Bombard Gibraltar Naval Base

Place new units
    6 Infantry in Northern Italy, 2 Artillery and 1 Infantry in Southern France, 3 Infantry in Southern Italy

Collect Income
    $29 Territory Income
    $21 National Objective Income
    = $50

Axis Rules
    Germany: Buy 1 Submarine every turn (6 IPC). Start buying 2 Bombers every turn from G4 (30 IPC).
    Italy: Start buying 1 Bomber every turn from I3 (12 IPC).
    Japan: Have always 3 Fighters and 10 Infantry on Japan from J4

I will try the strategy out myself soon and tell you the results!

I would love to see how exciting the battle of the Middle East and Africa between Axis and Allies is going to be, while normally this battle only happens when the game is already won or lost. Let me know what you think!

FAQ: Afrika Korps Strategy

Q: Will attacking the Neutrals not give the USA South America IPC or the UK a lot of extra infantry in both Africa and Middle East?
    A: Yes the USA will eventually get the South American IPC and Infantry but they can only start collecting those slowly from Turn 4 and get them to Europe Turn 6-7. At that moment you will already have 12-16 Bombers as Germany and $100+ income. Those African Infantry can only reach Egypt at turn 5-6, at that moment Egypt is already well defended with your 5 Third Wave tanks. The Afghanistan infantry can indeed reinforce India or provide a counter-force in the Middle East, but lack offensive abilities to retake the Middle East from you.

Q: If you support Italy, why didn’t you build a Med Navy as Germany?
    A: For the same costs of an early Med fleet you could send 4 Mech. Infantry that had otherwise been needed to take Southern France directly to either the Caucasus or Iraq while IPC wise building 5 Tanks and 2 Bombers that can be more effectively used or harder to take down than a small Med fleet by Allied aircraft. In order to keep the UK in a defensive setting so it do not ruin your Africa plans you feint a Sea Lion with your G1 Build.

Q: Your flank in Romania is poorly defended, will Russia not break through?
    A: The Romanian flank seems indeed poorly defended with only 5 Infantry and 1 Artillery. However at the moment you start war with the USSR you also build a second group of 7 tanks and 3 Mech. Infantry able to counter-attack if the Russian player decides to push. Your 5 Third Wave Tanks are also in Romania G3. Also notice that if the Russian player decided to push the Italians can easily capture Ukraine with their 3 transports now able to move through Turkish strait that is also defended by an Italian Airbase and at least three fighters for scrambling.

Q: You wait for an Japanese DOW4, will this not leave the UK and ANZAC too much income, or Japan too weak?
    A: My reasoning for waiting until J4 is because of giving both Germany and Italy some time for preparing their defenses of Spain. The UK Pacific will still not be able to stand against the invasion in J4 and loses its capital. Yes the islands will then be taken after J4, but I expect the USA to go full Atlantic the moment Germany invades Spain so you will have space to take the islands after the capture of India. Also I am not fully sure this is the best option. Experimenting with JDOW1 will provide more insights in this option. For now I will first test JDOW4.

Q: Attacking Turkey with Italy, are you not overestimating yourself?
    A: You can bring 1 Bomber, 2 Fighters, 2 Tanks, 2 Artillery and 4-6 Infantry against 9 Infantry (if the French Infantry from Syria took it). If the UK did not do Taranto you can even bring 1 Bomber, 3 Fighters, 2 Tanks, 2 Artillery, 9 Infantry against 9 Infantry.

• I’ve read your strategy with great interest as I’ve tried in the last couple of days to activate Italy even more. I think it’s a shame the role Italy takes after a Taranto raid.

What version is this strat based on? The following is based on second edition.

In general I think it’s a cool idea, but many of the attacks are very risky. For the following, Mean Surviving Units = MSU.

Just to name a few battles:

France, MSU: 7,5. Not much room for error, could easily eat some of your tanks. No artillery left for 2nd round attack on Normandy.
    SZ111, with 1 scramble, MSU: ~1. (3 fighters lost)
    Yugoslavia: Hard to tell, but 3 units requires a quite perfect strafe.
    French fleet: 1-2 MSU, can be costly.

Worst is Turkey. As you activate the strict neutral rule by attacking Sweden, Russia could easily slide in and station some fast moving troops in Turkey, leaving 12-14 units to kill for the Italian 14 attacking units.

But again, what version are you playing? :-)

• @rydbirkjr:

I’ve read your strategy with great interest as I’ve tried in the last couple of days to activate Italy even more. I think it’s a shame the role Italy takes after a Taranto raid.

What version is this strat based on? The following is based on second edition.

In general I think it’s a cool idea, but many of the attacks are very risky. For the following, Mean Surviving Units = MSU.

Just to name a few battles:

France, MSU: 7,5. Not much room for error, could easily eat some of your tanks. No artillery left for 2nd round attack on Normandy.
    SZ111, with 1 scramble, MSU: ~1. (3 fighters lost)
    Yugoslavia: Hard to tell, but 3 units requires a quite perfect strafe.
    French fleet: 1-2 MSU, can be costly.

Worst is Turkey. As you activate the strict neutral rule by attacking Sweden, Russia could easily slide in and station some fast moving troops in Turkey, leaving 12-14 units to kill for the Italian 14 attacking units.

But again, what version are you playing? :-)

Thank you for your response! I am playing Alpha 3+. I put some FAQ also. I will try to answer your questions one by one :)

France, indeed exciting battle, but with MSU 7.5 maybe some Artillery or even a Tank may die, this one Tank less of the Second Wave group does not make a difference. Normandy would have to wait for another turn but there are 6 Infantry from GSE coming as reinforcements.

SZ111 should maybe receive a Bomber then, but might leave SZ109 too weak which is the more important due to Convoy Raiding. In Alpha+3 there is a Battleship, Destroyer and possible Scottish Fighter against 1 Sub, 2 Fighters, 2 Tactical. It indeed looks a bit weak. Thanks!

Yugoslavia might fail, it does not matter, just 2 IPC less for Italy as German tanks need to be there in their G2 anyway.

I put the Turkey battle in the FAQ. It might seem difficult, but Italy is able to bring a lot of force combined with fodder there in any situation. Ofcourse a lot stronger without Taranto, but still 2 full transports in I2 while also I1 send a full transport to Greece. Also Russia is not able to reinforce Turkey or go outside Russia at all, because the Axis wait with a G3 DOW by invading Caucasus in the first place. I used 1 Mech, Infantry because I suspect it will be open, but this could be the full First wave (3 Tanks, 4 Mech. Infantry).

It is also likely Russia only has 1 turn to mobilize towards the south as he realized you are planning to push through Turkey. Or as attacking the Neutrals (especially Turkey with Italy) so early is not common he might not even see it coming until the first Tank has taken the Caucasus. Italy taking Turkey instead of Germany really gives you this extra push where otherwise the Russian player is able to react/defend accordingly. This push through Turkey is what I see as the strongest aspect of this strategy because Italy creates a lot of openers for all the German Tanks to push through therefore able to take Stalingrad and Egypt so very early.

Looking forward to see your responses!

• I’m willing to try it out, that’s for sure :-)

• Okay, thoughts so far, only at J2.

I like how dominating the subs are in the Atlantic. Really cool! However, it is possible to gather up with the UK fleet in z92, using the transport from Egypt to transport 1-2 inf to Gib along with all fighters from the UK. This is the single transport in z112 not able to beat and the UK fleet is not locked in the Med.

I also experienced that the French fleet got 2 hits, such that I had no blocker in z93, and now the UK fleet can kill off the Italien fleet in UK2. I could ofc sacrifice the Italian bomber and place a blocker in 94 instead. Seems quite expensive in the edge case though.

The Sweden attack combined with the stacking of Greece is pretty telling that Turkey is next, and the Russian has already stacked Caucasus pretty stable (I always do this a bit to attack Northwest Persia whenever Germany attacks).

I’ll carry on later and see how it goes.

• @rydbirkjr:

Okay, thoughts so far, only at J2.

I like how dominating the subs are in the Atlantic. Really cool! However, it is possible to gather up with the UK fleet in z92, using the transport from Egypt to transport 1-2 inf to Gib along with all fighters from the UK. This is the single transport in z112 not able to beat and the UK fleet is not locked in the Med.

I also experienced that the French fleet got 2 hits, such that I had no blocker in z93, and now the UK fleet can kill off the Italien fleet in UK2. I could ofc sacrifice the Italian bomber and place a blocker in 94 instead. Seems quite expensive in the edge case though.

The Sweden attack combined with the stacking of Greece is pretty telling that Turkey is next, and the Russian has already stacked Caucasus pretty stable (I always do this a bit to attack Northwest Persia whenever Germany attacks).

Hmm you are right. In that case I would be very aggressive with Italy leaving Yugoslavia to get Greece and Trans-Jordan both with 1 Artillery and 1 Infantry from transports to lock off entry of a second UK Destroyer and still do the French Fleet kill with Sub, Battleship and Bomber while blocking SZ94 with a destroyer. Ofcourse when the UK builds a Airbase on Gibraltar Turn 1 the Italian transports are dead. In this case in Italy 2 I take both Egypt (7 Infantry, 3 Artillery, 1 Mech. Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Bomber) and Turkey (5 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Tanks, 3 Fighter) although they both are becoming very dicey. It does not matter if Italy is Knocked Out after this round, as long Germany can throw its full weight at the Caucasus and just send a single Mech. Infantry to Egypt. However it does not feel right… UK can dominate the Med throughout the game and convoy Italy to death.

Also the UK only has a single Destroyer while Germany has 7 Submarines, how could you turn this into your advantage? Maybe place 2 Subs in three different sea zones: SZ91, SZ90 and SZ103. He can only attack a single sea zone and will need to bring his last Destroyer which might even die on a lucky roll. Hmm, this scenario needs some thought.

Maybe its better to unite the Italian fleet in SZ97, now 1 Battleship, 2 Cruisers, 1 Destroyer, 1 Sub, 3 Fighters and park those Subs outside while you still do an amphibious assault on Gibraltar with 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser, 1 Artillery, 1 Infantry killing 2-3 UK units although what do you gain besides a killed Bismarck and transport?

Are there G1 buys or ways to let SZ110 live? It are really those RAF Fighters that give me a headache to think about a nice counter.

EDIT: The best option I can currently think of is the classic buy of 1 Carrier, 2 Transports doing a Sea Lion feign while able to take Gibraltar G2 and bring the Germany Tactical into SZ111. Then I should also attack SZ110 instead of SZ109 and let the UK do their traditional stuff (Taranto) but I could finish the Royal Navy off in G2. 1 Sub attacks SZ106 and the other SZ91.

• Wall of text :/

Where is the german NCM where germany lands 2-3 ftrs in italy to scramble against taronto? This should have more impact in italys chances than all of your other moves combined…

Also. I think this strategy assumes the russian player really is asleep. You asume that the russians have no troops close to cauc while you are stacking up next to turkey, and then you assume they build nothing and moves nothing down there after you take cauc. Which you assume will fall to 1 mechinf and 2 bombers… Many russians will have 3 mechs + 3 tanks in cauc, planning on hitting the middle east themselves once war starts.

• @rydbirkjr:

Okay, thoughts so far, only at J2.

Thanks for this insight yesterday, I am really glad I posted the strategy before I tested it out to fix these sort of mistakes! Actually delaying the build of Submarines to convoy the UK for a single turn and creating an Aircraft Carrier and two Transports instead creates a lot more possibilities with this strategy.

G1: Allows two Tactical Bombers to join sea battles, gives 4 more hits to you Baltic Fleet and forces the UK to turtle up as I could easily do a Sea Lion if they don’t.
    G2: Invade Gibraltar and Morocco, giving Italy +5 NO
    G3: Invade Algeria and Tunisia, giving Italy +5 NO
    G4: Invade Egypt, this allows Germany to throw its Afrika Korps against Russian forces in Caucacus instead
    G5: Invade Ukraine or Caucasus if Russians took it back

This also answers the observation of Kreuzfeld, as now I can throw 3 Tanks, 4 Mech. Infantry,1 Fighter and 2 Bombers against those 3 Mech. Infantry and 3 Tanks. I experienced some times my Russian opponent leaves Caucasus lightly defended so can pick extra income for Germany instead. However if Germany needs to focus on Russia first, give the Middle East to Italy.

The goal of this strategy is to make sure the Axis get those 16 IPC and strategic location of the Middle East as soon as possible. I am sure the Afrika Korps (14 Tanks, 4 Mech. Infantry, 6 Infantry) supported by Airforce and the Bismarck with 3 Transports is able to push through the Southern Russian defenses. As soon you have conquered the south you could go for the slow kill and take Africa in the meantime. This strategy also tries to change the: Go Russia or Go Home, the time race, the gamble.

As long as Germany eventually gets Iraq, Persia or Saudi Arabia and can build a Middle East factory there if needed I’m satisfied as I will likely take over the Stalingrad and Ukraine factories in no time anyway.

Also I will still convoy the UK starting from Turn 2, instead of a Bomber I build two extra Subs and in Turn 3 a Bomber instead of 2 Tanks, problem solved :)

• @ShadowHAwk:

Are you using the setup from the orignal game of from the 2nd edition.

As you are attacking with your cruiser round 1 and in 2ne edition setup that isnt possible.
    ZS112 is empty in that case.

I am using Alpha +3, is this an outdated version?
    In our case there is an UK Cruiser and French Cruiser in SZ112 at the start of the game. 1 Battleship and 1 Cruiser in SZ110, 1 Destroyer and 1 Transport in SZ109 and 1 Battleship and 1 Destroyer in SZ111

• @Afrikakorps:

1940 2nd Edition has superseded Alpha+3 about four years ago.
    Assuming your Alpha+3 ruleset/setup reflects the latest version of those days, the difference to 2nd Edition I quickly recall is:

• Korea is part of the Soviet-Mongolian Defense Pact in 2nd Ed.

• In 2nd Ed. setup there is one UK Infantry less in Egypt

• 2nd Ed. map merged Yukon Territory with British Columbia

HTH :-)

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Afrikakorps:

@ShadowHAwk:

Are you using the setup from the orignal game of from the 2nd edition.

As you are attacking with your cruiser round 1 and in 2ne edition setup that isnt possible.

In our case there is an UK Cruiser and French Cruiser in SZ112 at the start of the game. 1 Battleship and 1 Cruiser in SZ110, 1 Destroyer and 1 Transport in SZ109 and 1 Battleship and 1 Destroyer in SZ111

Guess you are using the original setup not the newer setups. Of my information is flawed.
    You can kill a lot of UK forces a lot easier and UK is virtualy defenseless VS sea lion in your setup.
    And the UK med fleet is a lot weaker if im correct ( there is normaly 1 carrier + 1 cruiser + 1 destroyer + tactical off egypt and 1 fighter on malta )

Thanks I compared Alpha+3 with 2.0 and the only big difference are those 2 Cruisers on SZ112 so the rest should be comparable with current edition :)

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Afrikakorps:

ruiser round 1 and in 2ne edition setup that isnt possible.

Thanks I compared Alpha+3 with 2.0 and the only big difference are those 2 Cruisers on SZ112 so the rest should be comparable with current edition :)

Better do a complete check for all units, download the new setup would be good. It is easy to miss a unit here or a fighter there and that might make a huge difference.

I did a full check, only SZ111, SZ110 and SZ112 have differences above the minor tweaks already mentioned by you :)

EDIT: I corrected the G1 Build and other suggestions into the strategy so it becomes more battle proof with every single piece of feedback.

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Afrikakorps:

@ShadowHAwk:

@Afrikakorps:

ruiser round 1 and in 2ne edition setup that isnt possible.

Better do a complete check for all units, download the new setup would be good. It is easy to miss a unit here or a fighter there and that might make a huge difference.

I did a full check, only SZ111, SZ110 and SZ112 have differences above the minor tweaks already mentioned by you :)

EDIT: I corrected the G1 Build and other suggestions into the strategy so it becomes more battle proof with every single piece of feedback.

You are expecting a lot of moves from the allies

Amur with 9 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mech, Infantry, 8 Fighters, 6 Tacticals -> what will this force attack? 18 inf + 2 AA, or an empty zone.
    You really expect russia to stay on the coast round 1? russia isnt stupid.

Soviet Far East with 1 Tank from Japan by transport SZ19
    Siberia with 1 Infantry from Okinawa by transport SZ19
    ->> These 2 moves cannot be done, you cannot unload the same transport into 2 different land areas even if they are next to the same SZ.

<germany>Yugoslavia with 4 Mech. Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Tank (Romania) -> Why not take the other 2 tanks with you as well.</germany>

1. I expect 2-4 Infantry but even when empty I will take with full ground forces. Airforce has nothing better to do since JDOW4. Would you also do JDOW4 or consider JDWOW1 with this strategy?

2. Good point, my mistake

3. Great idea!

• @Afrikakorps:

<germany>1. I expect 2-4 Infantry but even when empty I will take with full ground forces. Airforce has nothing better to do since JDOW4. Would you also do JDOW4 or consider JDWOW1 with this strategy?</germany>

There will be 0, 1 or 18 inf there if you are playing against any decent player.

If you can hit with all that, It will probably be 0.

If there is 18 units + 2 AA you will lose all your landsunits and 1 plane. They will be there if the allied want to draw you away from the south. If they are there and you attack, you can probably expect a DOW from UK and anzak right after.

If you put in all your units and there is 0 units there, you have just given the russians mongolia and a counterattack with 21 infs against 9 inf, 1 art and 1 mech. You will lose everything, and they will lose 10 units.

• @Kreuzfeld:

@Afrikakorps:

<germany>1. I expect 2-4 Infantry but even when empty I will take with full ground forces. Airforce has nothing better to do since JDOW4. Would you also do JDOW4 or consider JDWOW1 with this strategy?</germany>

There will be 0, 1 or 18 inf there if you are playing against any decent player.

If you can hit with all that, It will probably be 0.

If there is 18 units + 2 AA you will lose all your landsunits and 1 plane. They will be there if the allied want to draw you away from the south. If they are there and you attack, you can probably expect a DOW from UK and anzak right after.

If you put in all your units and there is 0 units there, you have just given the russians mongolia and a counterattack with 21 infs against 9 inf, 1 art and 1 mech. You will lose everything, and they will lose 10 units.

Will it make the difference if you also use 1 Tank, 2 Infantry and 1 Artillery from Japan? As long as aircraft can reach Yunnan and transports FIC in Turn 3 anything is possible.

If all retreats attacking Mongolia could also be an option as I attack Strict Neutrals in G2 anyway (but might signal intention to the UK + USA)

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Great new ideas.  Some general observations;

-I’ve seen several different neutral violation gambits, but usually all 3 of the big neutrals get hit on the same turn.  Killing infantry isn’t hard, but the timing can be because the pieces have to be staged in advance so they cant do anything else it places some pretty big stacks out of position at a critical time (these frontline forces are off in the hinterlands instead of the front line.

-We have created several of these Axis gambits that reach their novel target on turn 4.  War may be declared before that point, but there are a lot of moves you can do while taking advantage of the power of deciding when war will begin and passing at peace, and taking advantage of the fact that the Axis all get to go without Allies in between, except Russia, which cant project air power to stop you/block you very well.

-These strategies are fun and let you do some creative new things, but they also let the 4 smaller allied powers grow their economies undisturbed for a long time, which becomes very difficult to defeat.  The advantage gained by waiting is not usually offset by the gains in comparison to a more vanilla J1 or J2+kill Russia.

-Also, these gambits require you to hit specific targets in sequence without failing to take one of them.  This isn’t impossible considering how much mobility navy and power the Axis get OOB, but the problem becomes that you MUST hit your objectives regardless of losses and luck (the turkey part of this strat, for example).  The effect of this is that you must take greater and greater risks as the game goes on in order to make your strategy develop and this is susceptible to attrition…the critical battles will occur but you will have to take very high losses and the risks and uncertainties grow with each turn.

Good luck!

• Thanks! I will soon test it out! Also, no battle plan survives combat as Erwin Rommel wisely said.

It is still a race against the clock but in a wealthy and often regarded as secondary theater of the war (Middle East and Africa). If it fails I could easily adjust to Barbarossa because of the armour being build (I hope).

• This has been a very interesting gameplan.  Let me know if you ever want to test it out in a friendly game.

• @Arthur:

This has been a very interesting gameplan.  Let me know if you ever want to test it out in a friendly game.

I would love you only I have only played offline so far!

I would also like to add the Grand Philisophy to this strategy. As noted before, a lot of point are to be gained in Africa and the Middle East, 52 IPC, this is an 104 IPC swing into the Axis favour, most notibly for Italy (Axis) and UK (Allies). It is also a real possibility most of the IPC’ are taken before 5-6.

You also don’t leave Russia with its 38 IPC as Japan will play extremely agressive in the East and Germany at three different flanks, south combined with Italy. This is another 25 IPC gained for the the Axis and thus 50 IPC swing before turn 5. Yes you delay the capture of Moscow with 2-4 turns but you make a 154 IPC swing before turn 5 while the USA has just started to cash 70 IPC. This is just Russia, Africa and Middle East. Add the IPC swing of a broken China and the UK Pacific gets taken in J4.

After Turn 4 the economies will look like this

Axis: 210+
    Germany: 90+
    Japan: 80+
    Italy: 40+

Allies: 135+
    USA: 75+
    UK Atlantic: 15+
    UK Pacific: 0
    Russia: 15+
    Anzac: 25+
    China: 5+

While the Axis are still advancing, Japan will get Money Islands, Germany rest of Russia and Italy some more Africa.

A more tactical benefit of using your initial German armour to push through the Middle East (therefore creating Afrika Korps) is that no matter what, the Axis are in control of the Middle East, there is nothing that could stop that since you force the UK to play defensive with your G1 buy (otherwise it could send all its airforce to the Middle East). By just giving Italy some of the oil nations (I prefer both Persian countries) they are really close to making 40 IPC combined with the other NO’s. Even when Egypt or Stalingrad gets somehow blocked, you could build Axis ME factories and start pumping armour.

Another tactical move of Japan underlined. In J2 you send a big part of your fleet and 3 full transports to Caroline Islands. This forces ANZAC to turtle or you could take sydney. They will still be together wih India invasion force in J3 and take India in J4 but you delayed ANZAC 2-3 turns from expansion.

• Oke some new ideas possibly improving the strategy some more.

In my G1 build 2 Transports are actually too much as with just 2 Transports, 1 Battleship, 1 Aircraft Carrier, 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery I can take Gibraltar, Morocco just fine same as dropping off a German land unit in Egypt (or actually take it after Italian strafe). It was also another 2 Infantry less on the Russian frontier which is already missing the Bulgaria and Greater South Germany Infantry (12 total).

As I needed some Submarines in my G2 anyway I build 1 Submarine instead of the Transport. This gives me +6 IPC in G2 and even better can start convoy raiding the UK in Turn 2 instead of Turn 3. Still Sea Lion feint and if UK really screws up I can take London.

G2 buy actually just needs 1 Sub for SZ125 as soon war starts with Russia. Also, the Baltic Fleet has been reassigned to the Africa Korps therefore leaving the Baltic empty so actually I also do not really need that Destroyer. Insteas of those 2 Submarines and 1 Destroyer I now buy 8 Tanks for Russia instead of 5. I keep the 1 Bomber buy in G2 as Bombers provide a lot of things the Tanks can not.

While my initial plan for the Afrika Krops was three waves of armour, the buy of an German Africa Fleet in G1 has lifted the task for taking Egypt, combined with the 5 Third Wave Tanks this would be overkill and inefficient. More efficiently I use them directly in frontal assault against Russia. With a G3 buy of 7 Tanks and 1 Bomber I made the diversion of the 6 Infantry towards Spain no problem at all at sending 15 Tanks instead. This means I can take Leningrad also in G4!

Therefore in G4 I am really able to get all (besides Moscow) National Objectives!

• NO for Sweden
    • NO for Iraq
    • NO for Egypt
    • NO for Caucasus
    • NO for Leningrad
    • NO for Stalingrad

If I can somehow get one more 1 IPC somewhere I can build 8 Bombers in G5 netting me 14 Bombers. Another 8 In G6 already gives me 22 Bombers to either kill the USA fleet or take Moscow in G7-8. Also don’t forgot that Italy is earning 40 IPC from I3 onwards easily capable of defending Europe while helping Germany in Russia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m