The long road of painting the units - Updated 1/16 Vid added

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@siredblood:

Thanks for the comments guys!

@ LHoffman - Im glad you noticed the dust, my gf made fun of me for buying an airbrush and mini compressor so I could do that. “You seriously bought that to just add dust?” ……“ya” lol.

@ John, thanks John, like Hoffman mentioned, its the magnet pads for the planes, as for the lines, its stickers I made. I created a file in photoshop that has all the carriers for the entire game in a single print, if your interested (or anyone else) I can post it.

This country was actually the easiest to paint, I didn’t have to mix too much (just the infantry)… the 2 variants of paint used were German colors you can get in a spray can, “Panzer Gray” and “Afrika Mustard” … so I was able to just basically shoot everything lol, very little brush work :)

Yeah man, I would be interested in the carrier decals, as well. Thanks, siredblood. :-)

• '17 '16 Customizer

Here is the file I created, while I tried to get them close as possible by “winging it” (I took a pick of the units on my phone, sent it to photoshop lol). Most are good, ANZAC has some issues, think they were a little long, I just cut it off. America was a little long as well, but the rest I recall fit pretty darn good for my lack of fitment effort

This is set to be printed actual size on 8.5 x 11, I just printed it onto a full size label, then cut the stickers out. After you place them, I recommend brushing them in dull coat, you can pick up “Matt Finish” from Hobby Lobby for a few bucks. Its the same coat I use over my decals to get rid of the shine and to really lock them on.

Any questions about it, feel free to ask, good luck!

I don’t know how to post a pic in a smaller state you can click, if you know how, lmk, and ill edit the post…. its a HD JPEG haha

Awesome. Thanks Siredblood.

Couple questions for you:

• What carrier sculpts are all these for? It looks like a mix of OOB and HBG pieces to me. (For example, all the US carrier ones look like they are for the OOB Wasp and not HBG Essex.

• What did you use as the graphic basis for the decks? Was there a background template you found elsewhere or did you have to manually create the wood planking, deck markings, etc…?

Thank you again. These are excellent.

• '17 '16 Customizer

These were all used on my OOB units.

The Japan one, I found online…. Japan was my first nation to paint, I just assumed id find all the countries… I was mistaken lol. The others were mostly created from this/that, I didn’t try to be historically accurate or anything crazy. I just wanted variants in the colors and lines.

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks siredblood for these.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Sure thing John, hope they work out for ya.

I hope to finish this thread up mid week with my first A&A vid, need to find the right music for the fly overs :)

• '16 Customizer

Love that dust on the tracks. I’ve never made the jump to buying an airbrush - which model did you use? And which paints?

Congratulations on completing such a major project! Wonderful work.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Spitfire38:

Love that dust on the tracks. I’ve never made the jump to buying an airbrush - which model did you use? And which paints?

Congratulations on completing such a major project! Wonderful work.

Thanks Spitfire!

I bought this :

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-hp-58-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-kit-69434.html

Luckly my local shop had one, I hate waiting for stuff in the mail! I bought “light Earth” airbrush paint from hobby lobby. I sprayed the darker units, really makes them pop, the lighter units, like British and the DAK units, it really don’t show for the effort.

• '16 Customizer

It works with acrylics! Good to hear. Thanks for the link.

At what point in the painting process did you airbrush? (i.e. after base coat? After an ink wash? At the very end, after all the detailing?)

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Spitfire38:

It works with acrylics! Good to hear. Thanks for the link.

At what point in the painting process did you airbrush? (i.e. after base coat? After an ink wash? At the very end, after all the detailing?)

Last, even after decals

• '17 '16 Customizer

Finally got to the fly over vid, I thought the iphone7 would make better vids then my old iphone4…… guess not lol… at least watch it in HD. The video also seemed to have gotten darker via youtube, going to mess with it, but it might be as good as it gets, I already packed up my board haha.

I also started the extra troops I bought from HBG, 5 Germans with the greatcoat, and 5 US Marines. Im in no hurry to paint them it seems, as I primed them, and painted skin 2 weeks ago, and they still sit there lol. Ill be sure to update this topic one last time when they are completed.

I may try again to upload it (my desktop version is 100% better quality), but not now, this was an hour ordeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojggR9lrFVg

Looks good man. Impressive to see all your hard work together and in action.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@LHoffman:

Looks good man. Impressive to see all your hard work together and in action.

Thanks! Im a tad disappointed in the video, but hey, its my second one. Hopefully ill get better.

I really liked your video. Don’t be to hard on yourself. Your doing great man. :-D

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks John, ill update this thread once more later when I finish those other troops… Oh I also replaced the some of the Japanese artillery with some from HBG, after which, I kinda liked the OOB ones better lol.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m