The long road of painting the units - Updated 1/16 Vid added

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@siredblood:

Thanks John! Another thing I was stoked about with the ANZAC, was the subs, super stoked finally being able to put the number on the coning tower! …. I feel like the transports look like the Titanic though lol

Yes, the Anzac pieces are very cool. A lot of people do not like the infantry, but I do. I like all the Anzac pieces to be honest with you.

I hope, someday, that HBG will make the French pieces, but I feel it will be, a year away, before they are available.

• '17 '16 Customizer

I was a little torn with the ANZAC infantry at first, seeming too large, but I really scrootenized them, and found them to be close to the others, except for Italy, which seem smaller. Granted the base is in fact larger, but if the US troops were standing up straight, it would be comparable to the ANZAC IMO.

I saw the free french pieces, they look great, but for me, in all honesty, I have no desire to redo anything lol, I’m so over painting haha.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Italy was the winner :)

I really like the Italian units, I actually didn’t replace anything. I had to mod a few of the ships to allow decal placement, but other then that, they were good to go!

I went with the desert scheme since Russia is green, we don’t want green vs green lol.

Ill have Germany up this weekend, then ill make a video with the setup and do some fly overs, really see the pieces in action.

95 pieces for this set. I am a little surprised on the amount of ships there are, if Italy has the income to get this many ships, Allies are doing something seriously wrong haha!

Again, that’s for looking!

Wow siredblood, fine job on your Italian units. I love the desert look, as well. Tremendous job on these pieces. Love the stripes for the navy, because it sets apart the Italian navy from the others.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks John! I noticed about everyone who paints Italy adds the stripes, we all must find the only pic of an Italian Battleship on the net for a ref lol.

• More great work!

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks KW, im pretty stoked this endeavor is about over, even more so, I cant wait to make the vid :P

• '17 '16 Customizer

Well my friends, this endeavor is over!

1200+ Painted Units / 800-1000 decals …… About 400 bucks in paint, adding(replacing) units, decals, and airbrush… yes to paint dirt lol!

And WOW, looking back to the first post, 10/10… so 2 months of painting! Ill will be keeping the topic alive a tad longer, as I have gotten a few more units I want to paint, just NOT now! I bought 5 US Marine troops, and 5 German greatcoat troops, save those for a rainy day. Also, I want to do a setup, and make a vid to show the pieces on the board, which ill do this week.

Im also excited to post my current project, which ill do later today :P

Without further ado, Germany!

I used 2 schemes, Gray and DAK, I replaced all the tanks and Mech with units from HBG, 2 variants for the mech, and 3 variants for the tanks, and I added more AA Guns and Infantry totaling 163 Units.
    Thanks everyone for the comments and looking, its time to put away the paints… well most of it! For now, ill be relaxing the rest of the day… sigh of relief!!

• '21 '18 '16

I have no artistic skill with a paint brush whatsoever and at 40 years old, I’m not feeling I will learn.

Fantastic work.
    You cannot see me but I’m seething with jealousy right now.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the compliment sean!- the “you cannot see me” part made me laugh!

I was hoping to post my new project today, but having last minute design issues, so it will have to wait till tomorrow :(

Thanks again!

siredblood, this is, by far, my favorite country, you have done.

Is that customization pieces on your aircraft carriers?

I can’t tell if your pieces are mostly black or charcoal, but whatever it is, it looks so cool.

How did you get such straight lines on the carriers?

Is it a decal?

I love all the colors of your units.

Very unique, indeed. :-D

John

Superb. Sweet decals and magnet strips on the carriers. Love the dust coating on the tracks of the grey Tigers.

Very clean work. Giving me some inspiration for my foray back into painting. Thanks for sharing.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks for the comments guys!

@ LHoffman - Im glad you noticed the dust, my gf made fun of me for buying an airbrush and mini compressor so I could do that. “You seriously bought that to just add dust?” ……“ya” lol.

@ John, thanks John, like Hoffman mentioned, its the magnet pads for the planes, as for the lines, its stickers I made. I created a file in photoshop that has all the carriers for the entire game in a single print, if your interested (or anyone else) I can post it.

This country was actually the easiest to paint, I didn’t have to mix too much (just the infantry)… the 2 variants of paint used were German colors you can get in a spray can, “Panzer Gray” and “Afrika Mustard” … so I was able to just basically shoot everything lol, very little brush work :)

@siredblood:

@ LHoffman - Im glad you noticed the dust, my gf made fun of me for buying an airbrush and mini compressor so I could do that. “You seriously bought that to just add dust?” ……“ya” lol.

@ John, thanks John, like Hoffman mentioned, its the magnet pads for the planes, as for the lines, its stickers I made. I created a file in photoshop that has all the carriers for the entire game in a single print, if your interested (or anyone else) I can post it.

Hey, she doesn’t know it, but the dust makes all the difference in the world.

As for the carrier templates… I would love to use your file if you would be willing to share. I have painted my carrier decks by hand in the past, which looks great but is incredibly time consuming. I have also downloaded deck templates from a couple other users here, but haven’t actually tried to use them yet. I do not have Photoshop, so a jpeg or png file may work best. I use MS Paint and Paint.net (Photoshop-like) to do minor image editing.

Thanks!

• '17 '16 Customizer

so a jpeg or png file may work best

Sounds good, ill post the pic here in a bit.

• This is AMAZING work!!!

@siredblood:

This country was actually the easiest to paint, I didn’t have to mix too much (just the infantry)… the 2 variants of paint used were German colors you can get in a spray can, “Panzer Gray” and “Afrika Mustard” … so I was able to just basically shoot everything lol, very little brush work :)

Yeah man, I would be interested in the carrier decals, as well. Thanks, siredblood. :-)

• '17 '16 Customizer

Here is the file I created, while I tried to get them close as possible by “winging it” (I took a pick of the units on my phone, sent it to photoshop lol). Most are good, ANZAC has some issues, think they were a little long, I just cut it off. America was a little long as well, but the rest I recall fit pretty darn good for my lack of fitment effort

This is set to be printed actual size on 8.5 x 11, I just printed it onto a full size label, then cut the stickers out. After you place them, I recommend brushing them in dull coat, you can pick up “Matt Finish” from Hobby Lobby for a few bucks. Its the same coat I use over my decals to get rid of the shine and to really lock them on.

Any questions about it, feel free to ask, good luck!

I don’t know how to post a pic in a smaller state you can click, if you know how, lmk, and ill edit the post…. its a HD JPEG haha

Awesome. Thanks Siredblood.

Couple questions for you:

• What carrier sculpts are all these for? It looks like a mix of OOB and HBG pieces to me. (For example, all the US carrier ones look like they are for the OOB Wasp and not HBG Essex.

• What did you use as the graphic basis for the decks? Was there a background template you found elsewhere or did you have to manually create the wood planking, deck markings, etc…?

Thank you again. These are excellent.

• '17 '16 Customizer

These were all used on my OOB units.

The Japan one, I found online…. Japan was my first nation to paint, I just assumed id find all the countries… I was mistaken lol. The others were mostly created from this/that, I didn’t try to be historically accurate or anything crazy. I just wanted variants in the colors and lines.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m