• Young Grasshopper-  Have you had an additional games of this here lately?

• Sponsor

@ChromiumAgeCollector:

Young Grasshopper-  Have you had an additional games of this here lately?

Yes… 1 more since last known game. I was the rebels and barely won by the skin of my teeth. Luke was turned to the dark side early, Han Solo was captured late game, and I sacrificed Obi Won around mid game. He had a ton more leaders than I did at the end, and the probe deck was down to just three when I was forced to move my base… like I said, the skin of my teeth.

• Wow!  Sounds like a great game!

How are you feeling about the balance now?

• Sponsor

@ChromiumAgeCollector:

Wow!  Sounds like a great game!

How are you feeling about the balance now?

Balance is good if you use the advanced setup which favours the Empire, if the Empire takes advantage of their initiative and waits for the rebels to make their decisions first, and if they deplete the probe deck as much as possible.

• I finally got this to the table again tonight!  I played my neighbor and absolutely trounced him!  He did a cheeky base placement on Dantooine despite the fact that I has a small force starting in Mygeeto.  I found the base turn 4, but as I just had a scout force, he held on.  However, I was able to bring in reinforcements the next turn and wiped out the base.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Putting the base Dantooine is gutsy, but it’s not as brazen as picking Alderaan! This was earlier on when my friends were goofing around, I’m glad they’ve shown more interest in refining their strategies since then.

• I love this game so much I made a video for it on my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J_5IEdr5VI

• Sponsor

@ChromiumAgeCollector:

I love this game so much I made a video for it on my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J_5IEdr5VI

Removed?

• There was a major audio error that I had to fix.

Try this link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDiSi6BhkE

Great analysis of what has become a near certain Rebel opener. As tempting as it is to make a move or two the first turn, keeping a Corvette and Cruiser off the queue can be more valuable than subjugating a system based on opportunity cost.

• So true!  I’m glad to see that it’s not just a standard opening in my metagame.

• Hi All,

I’m actually just dusting off my old A&A games (original box and DDay expansion) and getting back into them.  Played a lot over 15 years ago…so some things are still “new” to me (first time playing DDay expansion).  Anyway…this actually isn’t about getting back into A&A…it’s…about Star Wars…and an A&A version.

I can see that SW Rebellion is the closest thing out there right now to a A&A: Star Wars version…but I’m curious if anyone out there has tried making their own version that’s closer to the A&A versions?  I’ve ordered the Risk version (for the miniatures) and will try and find a (hahaha) inexpensive copy of Rebellion (so I can play and get more miniatures as well as ideas for what I want in my home version).  I’m just curious to see if anyone else is as inventive as I desire to be in making my own Axis & Allies: Star Wars game.

Feel free to email me separately from this if you want—especially because I’m still looking for the Rebellion game, more miniatures, and any good ideas on how to create a new game…LOL.  Thanks!  Palledine@hotmail.com

Mike

• I think given the counter insurgency nature of the conflict in Star Wars, I think that the mechanisms in A&A will do a poor job modeling it.  Perhaps trying playing SW:R by its rules?  It’s really really good.

The closet game to Star Wars Axis and Allies is probably Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition.  Have you tried looking at that?

• @ChromiumAgeCollector:

I think given the counter insurgency nature of the conflict in Star Wars, I think that the mechanisms in A&A will do a poor job modeling it.  Perhaps trying playing SW:R by its rules?  It’s really really good.

The closet game to Star Wars Axis and Allies is probably Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition.  Have you tried looking at that?

Twilight Imperium…haven’t tried that one yet.  I’ll look into it.

• @Palledine:

Twilight Imperium…haven’t tried that one yet.  I’ll look into it.

Twilight Imperium – currently in its 3rd edition – would indeed be a good basis for a home-brewed Star Wars-type game because of its map tiles (and, if you want to use them, its plastic ships).  The map tiles are hexagonal; most of them have a decorative red starfield at the back, and a front depicting either a planet or a space hazard (like an asteroid field or a supernova) or an empty blue starfield.  Played by the game rules, these tiles are disposed in a circular formation, similarly to Settlers of Cataan, but there’s no reason you have to limit yourself to that circular configuration if you want to create your own game.

A few years ago, basically just for the fun of it, I created a huge elongated galactic map on my 36" x 96" A&A customized gaming table, using two copies each of the Twilight Imperium 3rd edition base game and of its two expansions (titled Shattered Empire and Shards of the Throne).  I can’t recall how many tiles that added up to, but it was a lot.  I put half of them on the map face-up, and half of them face-down.  I clustered the face-down ones (the ones showing a red starfield) at the centre of the table, mixed with a few of the planetary and space hazard tiles, to depict the centre of the galaxy; I laid out the rest of the tiles, including the empty blue-starfield ones, on the left and right sides of the table to represent the galactic arms.  There were enough tiles to practically fill the whole table, and the map looked pretty cool in my opinion.  I never did get around to creating any game rules for using this map, however.  In choosing where to put which tiles, in fact, I didn’t take any game play ideas into considerations; I just wanted to figure out what looked nice, and to create a mix of planetary tiles, hazard tiles, and empty-starfield tiles that was suitably varied in all the regions of the map.

• Sounds like a lot of fun…

It’s winter here in North Georgia and since I don’t work (I’m retired military)…I have nothing but time.  There’s lots of games on my wish list–but…they can get expensive…geez.  Anyway…I’ve been thinking of using a big sheet of plywood to make my gameboard base—I like lots of room to amass armies as well as have complete oversight without having to look at little squares in the corners, etc.  We actually did this exact same thing when in Afghanistan with our A&A game–it was awesome!  I am not too concerned with the mapping out of the Star Wars galaxy—there’s tons of info out there on this.  Where I’m going to have issues is with gameplay.  A&A is pretty open with gameplay while the D-Day expansion is pretty “set” (10 rounds max, order of play, etc).  I’d like to start somewhere around Episode I of Star Wars and go through RotJ (and beyond)…mostly open play; however, at certain points, there must be a significant event to “move things along” somewhat historically (ie.  Order 66, Palpatine taking over the Senate, Death Star blowing up Alderaan, etc.). I’d like both space battles and ground battles—with side missions, etc. I think a lot of trial and error will be needed and then balancing out—but I think it’s very doable.  When I start on this behemoth project, I’ll definitely have to start a new thread so I can get everyone’s inputs/feedback…as well as send an invite for you all to come play when it’s “finished”.  =)

• @ChromiumAgeCollector:

Perhaps Buck Rogers: Battle For The 25th Century?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/5/rise-of-the-empire/

Very intrigued by this despite my feelings for Rogue One. There’s certainly enough in there to warrant interest, from individual tactics decks to OT elements like Jabba, Motti and Imperial Bunkers.

• @General:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/5/rise-of-the-empire/

Very intrigued by this despite my feelings for Rogue One. There’s certainly enough in there to warrant interest, from individual tactics decks to OT elements like Jabba, Motti and Imperial Bunkers.

I’m pretty lukewarm on Rogue One as well and this expansion has a bit of an air of “The licencor made us do it” but it does look like some interesting additions.

My big curiosity is if it is really an expansion or more a alternate rules set. I get the idea you’ll play with either the original mission cards OR the expansion mission cards. It seems likely there will be some sort of modularity to it.

• I disliked Rogue One, so from a theme stand point, I’m disappointed.

However, the stuff they have previewed so far looks interesting, so I’ll wait and see.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m