• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I’ve played over ten in person and one online, and while I don’t have an exact tally in my head I have to say it’s been virtually 50/50, and that is in line with FFG’s initial survey:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/1/what-of-the-rebellion/

My experience with recruitment is very similar, Fett is a must for the Empire and Han can get the Rebels an extra leader or the Falcon.

The big question players have is which faction should be used for introducing the game. Having numerical superiority is good for a new player so it feels like he or she’s in control as opposed to the outgunned Rebels. It does make sense for new players to see the objective deck before starting the game so they have some idea about what missions to perform as the Rebels and what to guard against as the Empire.

• I think it’s better to introduce players as the Empire.  This is because the Empire could do a lot better with a typical “dudes-on-a-map” strategies.  You really have to think like a guerilla warrior when playing as the Rebels.

• Sponsor

For sure… I watched a ton of youtube videos about this game before I dropped the $130 after Canadian taxes, but my first game was with a buddy that knew nothing about it. I took the rebels and one of my first instincts was to let him look at as many of my mission cards and objective cards as he wanted to… the last thing I needed was for me to play a powerful card during the game and see him cry foul for imbalance.

• Just got this and familiarising myself with the rules.

Lovely minis, classic theme, and I like how the rules are shaping up. Using leaders as the mechanism for moving things around is nice.

The boardgamegeek ranking system never lies :)

Cred

• Sponsor

Had an epic game of Star Wars Rebellion and we have already added a house rule…

The Rebellion will lose 1 reputation equal to the times they move the rebel base. Therefore, 1st time results in losing 1 reputation, 2nd time results in losing 2 reputation… etc.

• That may tilt the game too much into the Empire’s favor…  Let us know what your findings are.

• Sponsor

@ChromiumAgeCollector:

That may tilt the game too much into the Empire’s favor… Let us know what your findings are.

I get that, and we did have a plan B which was… -1 reputation each time the Rebels move their base.

This needs to happen or the rebels just play disappearing act while the Empire feels like they’re back to square 1 with just a couple game rounds left (although,… I only have 3 games of experience under my belt). This new rule would also be thematically accurate, as the galaxy would definitely become more nervous of Imperial rule if the rebels are always forced to move their base.

• Sponsor

Question…

Do project cards count as part of the 10 card limit you’re allowed in your hand?

• Yes, they count towards your hand limit.

Have you been dumping all of the units at the system where the base is once they change systems?  For example if there are a crap ton of units on Yavin 4 and then move to Hoth, the units do NOT go to Hoth.  They stay on Yavin 4.

I find having to start fresh makes it easier for the Empire to destroy the base when they find it again.  I crushed a player as the Empire once even after they changed their base twice.

Having said all that, a -1 rep each time they change bases is better than a summation loss of rep points.

• Sponsor

Ok, so they only move the base and all units on the base stay in the old system (makes sense). Not saying that in our game the base was moved… but knowing that those units are abandoned really helps.

Next question…

With the rebels “Regional Support” objective card that reads “Play if all populous systems in 1 region have Rebel loyalty”… what if one of those systems is where the rebel base is?, would he not be revealing the rebel base if he plays it to gain a reputation?

• The Rebel Base does NOT count as a system.  Thus if the Rebel Base was on Naboo (for example), the planet on the map would need Rebel loyalty to complete that objective.

As the Empire it’s a good idea to cover all corners of the board in the event of a relocated base. Plus one hedge against relocated base is to leave a Star Destroyer and AT-AT on the build queue to have them ready to slam the new base once you narrow it down.

• Sponsor

@ChromiumAgeCollector:

The Rebel Base does NOT count as a system.  Thus if the Rebel Base was on Naboo (for example), the planet on the map would need Rebel loyalty to complete that objective.

So let me lay out a scenario and please tell me if anything is incorrect… The base is in Naboo, there are 9 units in the rebel base space, and the rebel player needs loyalty on Naboo to achieve the Regional Support objective. Therefore, the rebel player transports a ground unit onto Naboo to make it loyal and in turn, keeping the rebel base secret while completing their objective. However, if the Empire attacks Naboo next turn… will the Rebel player use base units as well as the transported unit in the system as defence, or does the Emipre need to first attack and subjugate the system before the rebels are forced to reveal that Naboo is in fact where the base is.

Thanks for all the clarifications.

Once the base is revealed through Imperial loyalty or a ground assault, all units in the Rebel base space are immediately sent to the system space. Note the Rebel player can voluntarily reveal the base at the beginning of the command phase.

• Sponsor

@General:

Once the base is revealed through Imperial loyalty or a ground assault, all units in the Rebel base space are immediately sent to the system space. Note the Rebel player can voluntarily reveal the base at the beginning of the command phase.

Great, thanks GV.

You’re welcome YG, I’m glad you’re enjoying the game.

I think the principal reason for revealing the base is to protect against the Death Star from stumbling in and blowing up the system without revealing the base and fighter defenses there.

• I have tipped my hat to my opponent where the Rebel Base was because I needed to gang up on a Star Destroyer that was in an adjacent system and there were 2 Mon Cals at the Rebel Base.  So I moved them from the Rebel Base space to the Star Destroyer and opened up a can!  Next turn I had to jump bases…

• Sponsor

@ChromiumAgeCollector:

I have tipped my hat to my opponent where the Rebel Base was because I needed to gang up on a Star Destroyer that was in an adjacent system and there were 2 Mon Cals at the Rebel Base.  So I moved them from the Rebel Base space to the Star Destroyer and opened up a can!  Next turn I had to jump bases…

So no card required?… just reveal the base with all it’s units, activate the adjacent system where the Imperial units are, and hit it all in one turn?

• No cards required.  You don’t technically reveal the base.  If the Rebel base is on Naboo (for example), you can move ships from the Rebel Base space to a system adjacent to Naboo with an activation.  But it pretty much tells your opponent where the base is.

• Sponsor

@ChromiumAgeCollector:

No cards required.  You don’t technically reveal the base.  If the Rebel base is on Naboo (for example), you can move ships from the Rebel Base space to a system adjacent to Naboo with an activation.  But it pretty much tells your opponent where the base is.

so than can’t a unit on the base claim the system it’s on to gain loyalty in that system, and in turn pretty much telling my opponent where the base is?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m