• I really want a Axis and allies 1914 or The great war 1914-1918: Clash of Empires. (The great war 1914-1918 hasnt come out yet). Should I wait for The great war to come out and pay 115 bucks or buy A&A 1914 now? The great war has a forum in the A&A variants section. Currently Axis and allies 1914 is 65ish bucks so, is it worth getting it then buying a few more pieces and chips?

• Hi! I got 1914 in 2014 and here are my thoughts:

1914 is a great game that takes Axis and Allies and gives it a nice twist.  It is somewhat slower (as in action) than WW2 A&A but it is still great fun.  Like all A&A games, it is badly overpriced but seeing that you’re considering the 115 dollar one, that shouldn’t be a problem.  The game is imbalanced in favor of the Allies and you need to go online for the newsest rules (still imbalanced).  The playtesters did not get adequate time and therefore we have a upsetting undertested game.  There are not enough miniatures and chips.  Most A&A is like this but 1914 is serious: on Germany’s first turn they go to buy units and there are no infantry!  Other than all this it is still a great game which anybody who likes A&A but wants a new twist should like.  Good luck!

• Thanks, I have also seen other people say the same things: Not play tested, not enough stuff but still pretty fun. Would you care to look at the other one to see if would be more worth the money? Like compare the 2?
    Again thanks and I would definitely like more opinions.

• It really depends upon you: Do you want quality?  A&A is always expensive but this other one is even more expensive because it offers everything most people want.  It also costs more because it isn’t made by a big company.  I would really need to try it out (which I won’t be) in order to give a fair answer.

• Ok thx man. Good to here from other people you know.

• Not played the other game, but I do enjoy 1914 as a variant on the A&A WW2 theme. Some simple rule changes that have a significant impact.

Not sure that I agree with CdeG that it is imbalanced in favour of the allies, but only played three games, all as axis. Winning three games played by newbies to the game probably doesn’t give me a true picture.

• @Private:

Not played the other game, but I do enjoy 1914 as a variant on the A&A WW2 theme. Some simple rule changes that have a significant impact.

Not sure that I agree with CdeG that it is imbalanced in favour of the allies, but only played three games, all as axis. Winning three games played by newbies to the game probably doesn’t give me a true picture.

Believe me when I say it is imbalanced in favor of the Allies.  I have played some superb Allied players.  But when they try CP, they always lose.  You’ll find the general aggrement across this forum being that CP are in a bad situation.  The Allies just take a little time to figure out and then it should be mostly Allies who win.  The key powers are UK and Russia.  UK needs to hit Ottoman hard and help Russia in the south.  France is generally fine on her own.  With Russia, you have a huge army; simply put it all in one place.  The CP won’t be able to do much about for a while.

• May be playing on Sunday CdeG so will bear those tips in mind!

• Tried both those tips when playing a game at the w/e CdeG. While both were in my mind from my experience as axis, this was my first game as the allies and I may have been distracted by other concerns without your advice. We won. So thanks!

I’ll post a battle report in the Events board if you want to know more.

• Hey that’s great!  I always love to hear battle reports on Global and 1914!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m