• Good proposition and lots to think about and consider, Black Elk. I like it.

• '19

Thanks guys! Definitely a lot to think about! We are playing against two good axis players so we need all the luck lol.  🍻

• '17 '16 '15 '14

I’m not the best player however it seems that 2 arm, 1 art, 1 inf for Russia would really be a strong play.  Taking the Japanese navy isn’t really a big deal unless America decides to go all out.  I’ve never had much luck with 1/3 subs as they seem to miss 2/3 times.  ALL OF THE TIME.  And just because you take out the BB, Car, 2 Fig doesn’t mean that whatever is left isn’t an easy target.  This also seems to weaken the attack on Europe.

Just ignore me…  I can’t even beat the computer.

CK

• '19

All good my friend.  Anyways, we ended up getting creamed by the axis.  Moscow fell and we were pretty much doomed after that.  We had a good time though and hope to play soon again.

• Good that you found it fun.
    Where did you place the bid, can I ask? Did the US Atlantic fleet get sunk on G1?

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I’ve not played much 1942, the game favors the Axis?  Enough for a bid?

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Karl7:

I’ve not played much 1942, the game favors the Axis?  Enough for a bid?

Also it is standard to play with the fighter intercept rules?  Seems Russia can be bombed into total submission otherwise.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Yes, the OOB setup definitely favors the Axis. By exactly how much and whether the bias requires an Allied bid or merely permits one is an interesting topic of debate. My personal opinion is that given equally skilled teams, 10 IPCs for an expert Allied player or 14 IPCs for a new Allied player balances the game quite nicely.

I’ve never bothered with the fighter intercept rules – strategic bombing doesn’t need to be any weaker, because your average profit on a bombing run is only (5/6) * (3.5 IPCs) - (1/6) * (12 IPCs) = 0.916 IPCs per bomber per turn, which is pretty lousy to begin with. Unlike 1940 Global, strat bombers don’t roll 1d6  + 2 damage; they only roll 1d6 damage. Often the factory you’re bombing will have an inconvenient number of build slots remaining, further reducing the payoff. For example, Moscow can sustain up to 16 damage…which means that if you only send 3 bombers, you’ll average about 9 damage; Moscow can pay $3 to clean up 3 damage, put 2 units in Moscow, and then put 4 units in the Caucasus and 2 units in Karelia. So you send 3 bombers and cost Russia $3, even if none of your bombers get hit by AAA. Yawn. If you send 4 bombers instead, then you have a 33% chance of rolling more than 16 damage, which means you’re wasting between 1 and 8 points of damage per turn. So in practice I’d say the profit on bombing is closer to 0.5 IPCs per bomber per turn.

On maps where it’s harder to cross the ocean, strategic bombing can be a way of projecting pressure. America can get away with strategic bombing Germany in a Kill Germany First opening in 1942.2, because it saves on the cost of transports. But Japan can start hitting core Russian territories (Kazakh, Novosibirsk, etc.) with land units – and win – as early as turn 3, and Japanese bombers can’t reach Russian factories until turn 2, so you’re really not saving much time.

• '19

Wittman: yes the US Atlantic fleet was blown out of the water by two u boats.   we placed a British sub in the Indian Ocean.  A inf on Egypt and India.  A Russian artillery on Leningrad and a Russian inf on Stalingrad.  We never put a US destroyer in the Atlantic.  With Russia I took three territories on the first round.  Though I won all three battles, the Germans made me pay a price for all three victories.  The German and Japanese bombing campaign devastated my Moscow factory.  On two separate raids my factory was topped out at 16 ipc damage.  I couldnt hit them either with my Facorey AA!!!  From the opening round I just got the feeling it wasn’t going to be our day lol.  That’s A&A though! You win some and you loose some.  Next time :)

• Sometimes it does feel like whatever you do, you are one step behind and too far away to change things. Better luck next time.

• '19

Exactly! It was one those games where after round one that you knew you had a big uphill battle ahead of you lol.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m