Map/rule question regarding naval ports

• Sorry if these had already been asked.  I’m fairly new to AA and just got 1914.

Question 1: The 2 naval ports in Karelia - is 1 in SZ12 and the other in SZ6 or are they both in SZ6?

Question 2: I understand if a sea battle occurs in a SZ with a Naval port you will roll for mines first.  However do you have to roll for mines even if you move through a SZ with a port.  For example if Russia moves its battleship from SZ12 to SZ10 does it have to go through 2 separate mine fields?  No sea battle or amphibious assault is taken place, purely just a move.  I know the rule book says “stops in or through” but just want to confirm.

Question 3: Given that Paris is land locked I am assuming that Navy units can be placed at either port (SZ15 or SZ16).  Does this hold true for say the UK?  Can a Navy unit be placed at either SZ8 or SZ9?  Or does it have to be placed in SZ9.  This is assuming the UK still has control of London and Wales.

Question 4:  General question; if Moscow is controlled by CP and say Ottoman has control of Sevastopol and the UK takes control of Sevastopol from Ottoman can the UK place ships in SZ21 on their next turn if they still control it? Or does it go back to Russia?  I see in the rule book it says “originally owed” but in other AA’s I thought if you held the yard till the next turn it was your’s to do with as you please.

I think I know this answer but given that there is no Naval yard in India that no ships can be placed there.  Even though you can place land units.  That stinks - I guess you really need to get control of Constantinople for its Naval yard.

Thanks and sorry if these are remedial or have been answered before.

• Official Q&A

@Dorowar:

Sorry if these had already been asked.  I’m fairly new to AA and just got 1914.

Question 1: The 2 naval ports in Karelia - is 1 in SZ12 and the other in SZ6 or are they both in SZ6?

There is one in each sea zone.

@Dorowar:

Question 2: I understand if a sea battle occurs in a SZ with a Naval port you will roll for mines first.  However do you have to roll for mines even if you move through a SZ with a port.  For example if Russia moves its battleship from SZ12 to SZ10 does it have to go through 2 separate mine fields?  No sea battle or amphibious assault is taken place, purely just a move.  I know the rule book says “stops in or through” but just want to confirm.

It doesn’t matter whether there’s a battle or not.  Just the movement is enough.

@Dorowar:

Question 3: Given that Paris is land locked I am assuming that Navy units can be placed at either port (SZ15 or SZ16).  Does this hold true for say the UK?  Can a Navy unit be placed at either SZ8 or SZ9?  Or does it have to be placed in SZ9.  This is assuming the UK still has control of London and Wales.

New sea units can be mobilized at any of your original naval bases that have controlled since the beginning of your turn.

@Dorowar:

Question 4:  General question; if Moscow is controlled by CP and say Ottoman has control of Sevastopol and the UK takes control of Sevastopol from Ottoman can the UK place ships in SZ21 on their next turn if they still control it?

No.  The British Empire may never mobilize sea units in sea zone 21, as Sevastopol is not an original British territory.

@Dorowar:

Or does it go back to Russia?

Not until Moscow is liberated.

@Dorowar:

I see in the rule book it says “originally owed” but in other AA’s I thought if you held the yard till the next turn it was your’s to do with as you please.

That’s true in the WWII games, but not here.

@Dorowar:

I think I know this answer but given that there is no Naval yard in India that no ships can be placed there.  Even though you can place land units.

Correct.

@Dorowar:

That stinks - I guess you really need to get control of Constantinople for its Naval yard.

That won’t help.  See above.

• Krieghung, thanks for the quick response.  That poor Russian battleship in SZ12 has to thread the needle through SZ11 and SZ10 even if there are no ships there and I guess once the UK Navy is gone in SZ29, you just need to start ground pounding your way through Ottoman to get into the fight.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m