• HEy all. I was staring at the board one day and realized that I could do an unorthodox strategy that would help me crush the Jap fleet in the pacific. I combined the two fleets. THe one in India I moved two spaces towards australia and the sub and transport in australia I moved to the same spot to form a combined fleet. On top of that I chose royal navy which allowed me to add a free destroyer. On top of that I put the colonnail garrison in Australia which allowed me to add a battleship. When the Americans turn arrived they used lend lease to give me their fleet in hawaii which further strengthened my fleet. I then went on to crush the Jap fleet. And from m y base in Australia I went island hopping siphoning away Japan’s IPCs. I don’t think I’ll be playing hte British again because I don’t think I could replicate that move much less top it. Miguel

• 2007 AAR League

Many people combine the Indian Fleet and the Australian Fleet.
    Most people don’t play with NA’s so you can’t count on Colonial Garrison.
    If the US Pacific Fleet isn’t dead on R1 Japan deserves to be crushed.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yup, happens all the time.  People put the combined fleet in SZ 30, generally speaking.

Helps if you put an IC in India and reinforce India with a Fighter and Infantry so you have 4 Infantry, Fighter, AA Gun and Industrial Complex in India.

The fleet in SZ 30 is pretty safe from attack and you can move it back on the next round.  Now you have a strong British fleet and a headquarters for England threatening Japan.  Add some Russian reinforcements in Sinkiang and an American complex and you can kill the Japanese advance.  However, you HAVE to follow up with an American floatilla in the Pacific to steal some islands (try to make sure England gets one or two, because you’ve thrown away Africa) and you can easily reduce Japan to an Island.

Then it’s just a matter of time before you reinforce/liberate Moscow and crush Germany.

• Actually that fleet is pretty easy to take out… I have succeeded in every game where there has been an SZ30 fleet unification.

To get the maximum fleet, you also have to forgo a counter in Egypt on UK1 and killing the Japan TRN in SZ59, neither of which is a good thing for the Allies.  You also can;t get a UK FIG to India on UK1, except the one from the fleet (Egypt’s is dead, London’s can;t reach)

Max Fleet on Max Fleet in SZ30 Unification
    Japan Brings:  4 FIG, 1 BB, 1 AC (I’ll let everyone figure out how to get all 4 FIGs there)
    UK has:  2 TRN, 1 SUB, 1 DST, 1 AC, 1 FIG
    73.6% Japan Win

Remember, if you fail to counter in Egypt AND you build an IC in India, you are going to lose a lot of African income (at least for a while) and be trying to keep your IC secured AND build navy in preparation for landings from UK to either Africa or Europe.  Tough to do both with declining income.

It’s still a common tactic and it pulls 4 Japanese fighters away from America and Russia for 2 turns. (1 turn going there, 1 turn getting repositioned to attack.)

Fighter from SZ 50 to SZ 30
    Fighter from FIC to SZ 30
    Battleship, 2 Fighters, Aircraft Carrier from SZ 37 to SZ 30

For those of you wondering how to get 4 fighters to SZ 30.

Japan has to bring the Aircraft Carrier from SZ 50 to SZ 33 to recover fighters
    Japan no longer has a sufficient force to destroy Pearl AND take mainland, thus Japan has no extra income.
    Japan can only hit Pearl with Submarine, Destroyer, Battleship, Transport and Bomber, still a winner, but you have nothing left really for campaigning.

If Russia had followed with 6 Infantry in Buryatia and England had followed with 4 Infantry in India, Japan is in a very tight space for a couple of rounds.

And maybe Egypt isn’t worth attacking?  In my game with DM there was less then a 1% chance I could have retaken Egypt with England on Round 1.  Actually, closer to 0 then 1.  So there are times when distracting 75% of Japans Capital Ships and 67% of Japan’s airforce could be in your benefit.

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

Actually that fleet is pretty easy to take out… I have succeeded in every game where there has been an SZ30 fleet unification.

To get the maximum fleet, you also have to forgo a counter in Egypt on UK1 and killing the Japan TRN in SZ59, neither of which is a good thing for the Allies.  You also can;t get a UK FIG to India on UK1, except the one from the fleet (Egypt’s is dead, London’s can;t reach)

Max Fleet on Max Fleet in SZ30 Unification
    Japan Brings:  4 FIG, 1 BB, 1 AC (I’ll let everyone figure out how to get all 4 FIGs there)
    UK has:  2 TRN, 1 SUB, 1 DST, 1 AC, 1 FIG
    73.6% Japan Win

Remember, if you fail to counter in Egypt AND you build an IC in India, you are going to lose a lot of African income (at least for a while) and be trying to keep your IC secured AND build navy in preparation for landings from UK to either Africa or Europe.  Tough to do both with declining income.

True. But it would be at a loss of all but the BB and 1 fig on average. The US Pacific forces would be equal to the remaining Japanese fleet. Building the Australian IC would be ideal because the US could occupy the Japanese fleet while the UK could rebuild and start landing on the islands. Russia would have to stack Bury and probably move into China heavy with maybe even an armor or 2, but it looks interesting.

It probably needs a little help, though. Like the Egypt attack going wrong or a really strong Russian opening round. Oooh. OR Russia could land a fighter on the UK carrier on R1. Big red flag there for Germany to notice, however.

• 2007 AAR League

If UK succeds with a Fic attack as well this is a deadly combo against Japan.

Cant.  Fighter from SZ 35 cannot both go to FIC and to SZ 30.

Also, I wouldn’t risk a Russian fighter.  You’ll do enough damage to Japan with just the British fleet and America will be Jonny on the spot with her fleet to press the advantage if one presents itself.  (Assuming Pearl was neglected to kill the British fleet.  Honestly, I’d leave the British fleet and go normal with Japan.)

• But at that point, you are in an obvious KJF, and Germany’s open is pretty standard for most folks, and even “planning” for KGF on Round 1 then getting KJF by the end of round 1, it is easy for the Axis to transition…

Japan goes defensive, a combination of INF and SUBs and trades in Asia, Germany is unleashed against Russia, with UK being almost no threat to Germany, and with free reign in Africa for several turns while the US builds up their Atlantic Fleet… then the grey wall marches east, backed up by an income of 50+…

• 2007 AAR League

I prefer that to a Japan with a 60+ income.

but i guess that depends on what type of player you are  :)

edit: Trying to improve spelling

• Germany over 50 (probably well over by adding Kareila, Africa and T-J plus trading WR and possibly even Archangel and then the fall of Caucuses puts them pushing $60) and Japan holding around $30 would make me pretty happy :-)

In a good KJF, Germany will be stopped before getting 50 IPC, Switch.  Any layman player who puts some thought into it can easily slow Germany enough to prevent them from being at the doorstep of Moscow before Round 10, at which point, Japan should be castrated.

The trick is to put 2-3 transports of troops into Africa a turn.  Easy to do without building a single extra transport.  Actually, odds are, you’re putting 4 transports in a round.  Maybe more, if England is focused on Africa and fighters for Russia.  America can take Japan without England’s help.  Just use the English fleet to make it near impossible to sink the American fleet and let America take the islands.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m