• '19 Moderator

Inspired by the other post.  This is muliple choice, so choose all answers that apply.

• Usually I attack West Russia and Belorussia with the intention of conquering both, and do a strafe of Ukraine to bleed German fodder, withdrawing back to Caucasus.  That combination usually leaves Germany without much safe offense against Russia in G1 unless it’s prepared to leave armour vulnerable to a heavy counter.

~Josh

• agreed, I find an aggressive russia is the ONLY way to play the game.  If you can pin japan, or at least control the advances, and squeeze germany its pretty much a cake walk.

• @zosima:

agreed, I find an aggressive russia is the ONLY way to play the game.   If you can pin japan, or at least control the advances, and squeeze germany its pretty much a cake walk.

Yes, obviously it is a cake walk if you are winning.

Why not post some details of HOW you play an aggressive russia?

• wow…new paint brush has an attitude.
    Well ehre is my strategy as I remember it.  I’m at work and dont have the board in front of me so I may not be remembering the number of troops in every spot.

I buy 8 infantry (these will be placed in the caucus, unless something goes horribly wrong.
    I take finland immedietly. Just karelia units and fighter from russia.  sometimes I lose, sometimes I dont…but it will weaken finland and russia can grab it next turn or england can have it.
    I then throw EVERYTHING I have in russia and archangel into west russia.

basically my strategy is one of annoyance to germany for the first few turns until I have such a large number of infantry that germany will never be able to invade because of the long supply line from germany to the russian front.
    I’ll write more later, but back to work.

• @zosima:

wow…new paint brush has an attitude.

One of us called the other “Hilary” Clinton.  Who was that?  See what happens when you cross an owl with a crack pipe.  Lol double entendre.

Well ehre is my strategy as I remember it.  I’m at work and dont have the board in front of me so I may not be remembering the number of troops in every spot.

I buy 8 infantry (these will be placed in the caucus, unless something goes horribly wrong.

Hm, like the fact that you can only put 4 infantry in Caucasus because of Revised rules?  Classic rules, you can place unlimited units in territories with your starting industrial complexes.  Not so for Revised.

I take finland immedietly. Just karelia units and fighter from russia.  sometimes I lose, sometimes I dont…but it will weaken finland and russia can grab it next turn or england can have it.

You mean if the attack fails the Germans keep their fighter, which they can save on G1, and if the UK fleet takes Norway, the Germans can very likely smash that fleet with its air and Baltic navy.  (hums) Springtime for Hitler in Germany . . . (/hums)

I then throw EVERYTHING I have in russia and archangel into west russia.Â

All this throwing around, how violent!  I blame sugared cereal.  Anyways, you mean you don’t use your Caucasus units at all?  How quaint.

basically my strategy is one of annoyance to germany for the first few turns until I have such a large number of infantry that germany will never be able to invade because of the long supply line from germany to the russian front.

That isn’t a strategy.  There isn’t any detail.

I’ll write more later, but back to work.

Oo I look forward to it.

• I attack West Russia and Belorussia with the intention of conquering both

This is what i do since day one. UKR is a toss up for dice. Its not really a good net gain. Id rather go hard on west Russia and not lose any pieces ( or hardly any)

• @Imperious:

I attack West Russia and Belorussia with the intention of conquering both

This is what i do since day one. UKR is a toss up for dice. Its not really a good net gain. Id rather go hard on west Russia and not lose any pieces ( or hardly any)

In response to Imperious Leader’s response to OutsideLime’s post, the entirety of which mentioned that OutsideLime would try for West Russia, Belorussia, and strafe Ukraine -

Yeah, I don’t think I’d try to take West Russia, Belorussia, and strafe Ukraine.  Stretches Russia a little thin on the attack, so Russia will take additional casualties.

• 2007 AAR League

In response to Zosimas strategy:

It´s flawed becuse you can only put 4 Units in cauccasusu not 8.

I go Belorussia and west russia, best and easiet in my opinion

• @Nix:

In response to Zosimas strategy:

It´s flawed becuse you can only put 4 Units in cauccasusu not 8.

I go Belorussia and west russia, best and easiet in my opinion

I mentioned that, but I guess “green” is not the easiest color to read.  Lolz.

Anyways, I gather that zosima is mostly a Classic player.  That’s what my squirrels tell me anyways.

• its true, I am new to revised.
    but in revised, putting 4 units int he Caucusus, is STILL enough to slow the germany army down for at least a turn.  or at least make it so expensive that counter-attacking should be hard.

• 2007 AAR League

Axis win on a russia all out attack since germany can “handle” it and you got japan comming down your back door

• Russia should try to keep most attacks on Germany to the Middle and Southern territories allowing Brittain to come in and fight from the North. (Never over-extend your supply lines and always keep troops within one movement to Cacaucus)
    That being said, I see no reason for Russia to capture Findland/Norway unless it’s later in the game.

• @zosima:

wow…new paint brush has an attitude.

Pipe down on Old Woodsy. He’s been “Keeping America Clean” for years.  :-D

Squirecam

• I think that if you are able to consilidate your forces in the east of russia, you should be able to do some significant damage to germany while only losing a slight amount in the east.  I am at work so can’t look at the bored right now.

• If Russia attacked 3 territories, let’s say Belo, WR and Ukraine, and managed to take all three with a few units remaining, would you as the German player look on that with a big smile or thoughtful frown?  Because Russia is not stacked too heavily in any one area, would that work out for the German player advantage-wise in the long-run, since Russia has to slowly continually build while Germany can in one or two quick turns build up the Ukraine with a fair amount of guys and threaten both WR and the Cauc.  Any thoughts on this?

• @General_D.Fox:

If Russia attacked 3 territories, let’s say Belo, WR and Ukraine, and managed to take all three with a few units remaining, would you as the German player look on that with a big smile or thoughtful frown?  Because Russia is not stacked too heavily in any one area, would that work out for the German player advantage-wise in the long-run, since Russia has to slowly continually build while Germany can in one or two quick turns build up the Ukraine with a fair amount of guys and threaten both WR and the Cauc.  Any thoughts on this?

Well, seeing the Russian player attack 3 territories would plaster a big confident grin on my face, because I’d think he’d very probably fail somewhere and take heavy casualties.

If the Russian player WON all three, I’d call in the cat.  (Yeah, that’s right, jump up on the table!  Haahahahahaha!).  LOSING all three battles is not cool for Germany at all.

Russia doesn’t need to slowly build if it makes that hypothetical three territory grab.  Initial territory advantage translates into funds for tanks.  Russia can always fall back, and Germany still has to deal with the loss of its units on Germany’s eastern front.

• With low luck dice on it is actually pretty likely to take Belorussia, West Russia, and Ukraine.  The closest battle is probably Belorussia with 3 inf and a fighter vs. 3 inf.  But early on I would trade units with Germ if I am Russia because I typically play the KGF strategy for the allies.

• @Stalebrew:

With low luck dice on it is actually pretty likely to take Belorussia, West Russia, and Ukraine.  The closest battle is probably Belorussia with 3 inf and a fighter vs. 3 inf.  But early on I would trade units with Germ if I am Russia because I typically play the KGF strategy for the allies.

That’s why I don’t like low luck.  Frankly, it doesn’t play out anywhere close to a game uysing regular luck.

• :|
    Regular luck?!?c Sounds like a box full of  those mixed chocolates, you never know exactly what your gonna get.
    Recently as the Axis, I placed a Panzer in the Ukraine, and an inf in West Russia from my bid pre-buy. I maintained control of both territories! I had a tank left in West Russia and a fighter in the Ukraine. I think that my opponent didn’t catch where I had placed my bid buys, and attacked too lite.
    Anyway, I usually attack those two territories myself, for the Motherland ya know.
        Crazy Ivan  :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m