Defensive Fire Timing…....Can This be Right?

• So this is what’s happening. A buddy I play with almost goes out of his way to lose initiative. Having done so, one of his favourite plays is to wait till his assault phase, and surround someone with a swarm of armour in such a way that if they move anywhere they draw defensive fire from someone. This in itself is not a problem, but what’s irritating is that on his assault phase he draws defensive fire on purpose and the rules seem to state that if he gets disrupted it comes off on the very next casuality phase, meaning as soon as he done moving on his assault phase if he does get disrupted from defensive fire there is seemingly no penalty because it comes off in like 30 seconds……is all this correct? It seems broken if it is. It sort of undermines the rule. What about the poor guy who got disrupted from defensive fire during his movement phase and one rendered useless for the round? Someone please tell me that we are playing it wrong…please?

• Unfortunately, as unrealistic and annoying as that tactic may be, it’s perfectly ‘legal.’  According to the starter set rulebook:

“Defensive Fire Causes Immediate Disruption:  If a defensive-fire attack scores a number of successes equal to or greater than the target’s defense, the target ends its movement in its current hex and is disrupted immediately. Place a face-up Disrupted counter on the unit. Face up Disrupted counters are removed as the start of the next casualty phase, as normal.

Of course, he is sacrificing his attack with those units.  You simply have to find a way to make him pay.  In general, I never leave my units uncovered.  A nice PAK 40 or a 40mm Bofors can provide nice cover fire for your front-line units, depending on what he’s trowing at you.

Another thing, always have overlapping fire (not the ability) between your units. Try to keep all your units within a reasonable support distance of each other. If you split you unit up, you run the risk of them getting cornered. Obviously, this is easier to maintain if you have armor on the board to cover your infantry.  If you have artillery fire to cover them or, even better, another squad of units, you maximize the risk your opponent has to take to assault those units.

• The tactic is legal.

As Phosphonothioic says, the counters simply go away at the end of the turn, making them fairly irrelevant. He’s also correct that it’s simply a matter of not letting your units be isolated and destroyed (divide & conquer).  It’s not paricularily broken, just annoying. But all you have to do to counter it is have supporting units.

• While there may be no ‘penalty’ to him for drawing that defensive fire, keep in mind that you get to decide which hex his unit is defensively attacked in.  That might give you some control in deciding where his units end up.

• Dang……Looks like we’ll just have to out think him then. I just wanted to make sure one way or the other that we had it right. Thanks for the clarification.

• As a matter of fact. Vinius……I think you’re the guy I’m talking about. Just a hunch.

• Nope.  I’ve only actually played against 3 opponents.  Usually I just play with mysel……nevermind.

• Alright, but I’ll be keeping an eye on you. So you’re telling me that the name Hazzard means nothing more to you than possibly “The Dukes Of” ? Must be just a coincidence then.

• Mmm…Daisy Duke.  Sorry, that’s really all Hazzard means to me.  Sounds like he left an impression though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m