• Any interest in something like this?

http://www.motcreations.com/forumfiles/aamini_screenshot.jpg

I posted this originally over at the AH forum where they were trying to do play-by-post with MS Paint.

Mot

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yes, but are you really going to have all of the units from all of the sets? That’s a ton of work. Let me know if you need some help with the images.

• That’s a good point, there are a lot of units!

I’d be willing to dedicate some time to such a project, but I’d need some help.  Both from locating/creating images to use (I pulled some off the net from some sight that was selling them as singles and modified them), and also from a pure design stand-point (how many pallet tabs, how big to make the units, what other icons to use, etc).

I can help convert inages or I can just assemble them into a module.  Perhaps I should ping a couple of the people on the AH forum that seem to be pretty active with AA Minis and see if they will join this discussion too?

Mot

• Founder TripleA Admin

All of the images of all of the units are available on the Avalon Hill website. You should only use those. Another tricky thing is facing. You’ll need a marker or another arrow color to indicate facing for the tanks.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Almost forgot. Each map will need an of board area for units not currently in play but that can be put into play later. For instance, aircraft, heroes, and paratroopers.

Also, an off board area of destroyed units would also be helpful.

• How big should we be looking at?  My prototype used hexes about 60 pixels per side.

For the new version of MapView I’m adding the ability for modules to support multiple images per unit, and the player can “flip” through them via the standard right-click menu.  I think that will be the best way to handle facings, something along the lines of Right Click -> Flip Image To -> Northwest Direction.

Mot

• '19 Moderator

I have a pretty large collection, Between my two gaming partners and I, we should soon have them all.  I have currently around 170 different units, not including multiples, about 50 to go, but My buddies have most of what I don’t.  If it would be a help I could set up a "mini photo studio and do shots from directly above.  It might get confusing with some of the infantry, but most of the vehicles guns etc would work.  It would be easier to do facing from above.

As far as size It could get tough, 3Infantry a Vehicle an obstacle and a plane could take a lot of room especially when you start looking at AT guns.

• I haven’t played AA Minis before (though it looks awesome)…is there a maximum number of units in a single hex?

Mot

• Count me in this!!  My collection is at the bottom.  It is up to date and accurate.  :wink:

• That’s a nice looking collection!  Are those your images or are the from the Avalon Hill “Gallery”?

Mot

• How does this look for the size/apperance of the units?Â

How many need to fit in a single hex?

Mot

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Why does the file attaching always mess with the images?  The original was a 77 pixels high but I just measured the one rendered by IE and it was 97 pixels high, making it looked streched.

Mot

• '19 Moderator

@Motdc:

How does this look for the size/apperance of the units?Â

How many need to fit in a single hex?

Mot

Well the example I gave above is a bit extreme but it is possible.  The stacking limits are 2 friendly and 2 enemy only one of which can be a vehicle.  But, air and obstacles do not count against stacking limits.

• Founder TripleA Admin

@Motdc:

How big should we be looking at?  My prototype used hexes about 60 pixels per side.

For the new version of MapView I’m adding the ability for modules to support multiple images per unit, and the player can “flip” through them via the standard right-click menu.  I think that will be the best way to handle facings, something along the lines of Right Click -> Flip Image To -> Northwest Direction.

Mot

So you’re going to flip and rotate the image to accomplish the correct facing? I’d be happy with facing markers or the arrows.

• Founder TripleA Admin

It seems fine to me on Firefox and the images look about the right size to me.

@Motdc:

Why does the file attaching always mess with the images?  The original was a 77 pixels high but I just measured the one rendered by IE and it was 97 pixels high, making it looked streched.

Mot

• @djensen:

@Motdc:

How big should we be looking at? My prototype used hexes about 60 pixels per side.

For the new version of MapView I’m adding the ability for modules to support multiple images per unit, and the player can “flip” through them via the standard right-click menu. I think that will be the best way to handle facings, something along the lines of Right Click -> Flip Image To -> Northwest Direction.

Mot

So you’re going to flip and rotate the image to accomplish the correct facing? I’d be happy with facing markers or the arrows.

Not exactly, though the phrase “Flip” did kind of imply that.  The feature I was describing is more like flipping over a counter, or flipping through a pad of images.  So the flip-based solution would involve taking the base image of a tank and making 6 images out of them, each that has a different direction arrow on it.  The Flip feature would just let the user select which image is the current image for the unit.

In the short term, just having a direction-facing indicator will absolutely work.

Mot

• So who is working on a good program to make this play by post happen.  If I have enough time, I am willing to attempt to create a program much like abattlemap, but for AAM.

• Well, I was thinking that MapView would do the job with not too much effort.  The initial screenshot was one of a smaple module actually running in MapView.  But I didn’t want to do too much work on it unless there was actually some interest in it.

Mot

• Well if it will help for people to be able to play AAM via post, then im definately interested.  :lol:

• Does anyone still have the map downloads?  They were available from AH before, but I went to work on the module just now and they have been pulled.  Anyone still have the maps?

Mot

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m