• okay i got my souce numbers from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Prokhorovka. each units is appproxiamntly 45 tanks. (my roundingwas quite weird to get desired results like there had to be a tiger. only about 3/5 of all the tanks were used in the battle so i first mutlpied the orgianl tank count by .6 here are the unmanipulated numbers wtih how much each minature costs.

501 T-34, X28
    261 T-70 X12
    35 Churchill tanks X 35
    40 SU-76 X 18
    KV-1 X 32

15 Tigers X 63
    34 Panzer IV X 18
    180 Panzer III X 13
    58 Sturmgeschütze X 22
    33 Marder.II X 17
    8 T-34 X 28                     
    4 Panzer II X 9

• this is only the ground forces i still have to do artilery stikes for the germans bt what do you think so far?
    Russia:  317 pionts
    7X T-34
    3X T-40
    1X Churchill tank
    1X SU-76
    1X KV-1
    total tanks: 13

Germany: 187 pionts
    1X Tiger
    1X Panzer IV
    3X Panzer III
    1X Sturmgeschütze
    1X Marder II
    1X T-34
    total tanks: 7

thats alot of tanks need 8 T-34s . could get a lot of friends together and have them bring theres. do you think its even imaginable germany could win?

• You’re missing some key units… most notably the Panther, but also others such as the Elefant and Su-152.  Also for aircraft this is where the model of Stuka AAM made was actually used - the JU 87G Tank Buster (I really would have prefered a different version, but I digress…).Â

I’m assuming ‘T-40’ is just a typo and supposed to be T-70. I’m also assuming you mean the Churchill Crocodile going by your point total. An M4A1 and Soviet Lee might be appropriate units to add. I can’t figure out which German units you mean, as no combination seems to add up to 187 points. Which Tiger? Which Panzer IV? The SS Panzer IV F2 (and adding the SS Panther, despite the date) would probably be good choices, since they were Waffen-SS units.

The way you have it right now … well 187 points to 317 doesn’t sound all that fun. As is, it’s conceiveable the Germans could win, just highly unlikely. Any strategy for them would have to be based on keeping the Tiger alive and at long range; once its even disrupted the game is pretty much over. Most of the other units are going to be one shot wonders; the Panzer IIIs are pretty useless against T-34s and KVs at range, and one hit from pretty much anything does the Marder in.  In any event I think that the biggest point is that the game will not play out historically - the Germans have absolutely no incentive to attack; it’ll likely be suicide.

I also distrust wikipedia as a primary source of information; it’s usually not completely accurate.

• @Der:

I also distrust wikipedia as a primary source of information; it’s usually not completely accurate.

I completely agree… Wilpedia is a nice intro, but thats about it, especally when it comes to numbers of units at battles you need several sources…

*also Panzer IV was the most feilded unit for the Germans so I think you should add more… and by the battle of Krusk Panzer III’s roles were very much cut back since they had lost much of there effectiveness…

Also dont forget the large number of infantry units that played a huge role in this battle!

• While the Panzer III Fs aren’t too effective at range in Kursk, they can still threaten things up close. Not great, but not a total loss. However they’re still very good for their Smoke Screen SA which can your units, the Tiger especially.

• how many platoons make up a brigade, regiment and Battolion? i found a differnt website but it doesn’t give actuall numbers. i was talking about the Tiger I (this was teh one tha was used.) i used the wroung panzer anyway it shoul have been the SS one that is why the adding was of but i’m going to redo it.

• Not a simple question to answer, especially for the Russians. The number of tanks in their formations varies between various tanks types; for example a Tank Platoon could be 4, 3, or 2 tanks for light, medium, and heavy tanks respectively. T-70s would be your Light Tanks, and KV-1s are treated as heavies. Most of the rest, Lend-Lease included, are treated as mediums. At this point in the war Russia no longer fielded full Tank Battalions, but they were included in ‘Mixed’ Battalions.

A Russian Tank Corps consists of:

• Corps HQ
    • Three Tank Brigades

Each Tank Brigade consists of:

• Three Tank Battalions
    • One Mechanized Infantry Battalions
    • Anti-Aircraft Battalion (3 37mm AA Guns)
    • One Field Battalion (3 batteries of 4 76mm guns)
    • Mortar Battery (including 12 82mm Mortars)
    • Reconnaissance Company (3 infantry and 1 armoured car platoon)
    • Reconnaissance Battlalion (20 armoured cards)
    • Rocket Launcher Battalion (8 Katyushas)

A Medium Tank Battalion consists of:

• Battalion HQ (1 Tank)
    • Three Medium Tank Companies.

A Medium Tank Company consists of:

• Company HQ (1 Tank)
    • Three Medium Tank Platoons of 3 Tanks each.

A Heavy Tank Battalion consists of:

• Battalion HQ (1 Tank)
    • 4 Heavy Tank Companies.

A Heavy Tank Company consists of:

• 1 Company HQ
    • 2 Tank Platoons of 2 Tanks each.

A Mixed Tank Battalion consists of:

• Light Tank Company
    • Medium Tank Company (See above)
    • Heavy Tank Company (See above)

A Light Tank Company consists of:

• 2 Platoon HQs of 1 Tank each.
    • 2 Tank Platoons, of 4 Tanks each.

• As with the Russian Tank Corps list, not all of these units exist in AAM yet. Where possible I’ve listed alternatives.

German Panzer Division

• Division HQ
    • Regimental HQ
    • Two Panzer Battalions
    • Two Panzergrenadier Regiments
    • Artillery Regiment
    • Pioneer Battalion
    • Recon Battalion
    • Anti-Tank Battalion
    • Anti-Aircraft Battalion (4 to 6  88mm Guns, Motorized)

Panzer Battalion

• Battalion HQ
    • Company HQ
    • Light Panzer Platoon (8 Panzer II Cs)
    • Anti-Aircraft Platoon
    • Pioneer Platoon  (3 Squads, LMG, motorized, 4 motorcycles)
    • Four Panzer Companies (Each of Tigers, Panthers, of Panzer III/IVs)

Tiger or Panther Company

• Company HQ (2 Panzers)
    • 3 to 4 Panzer Platoons (5 Panzers each)
      (The Company will be all Tigers or all Panthers; these tanks were not put in mixed units)

Panzer Platoon (III/IV)

• Company HQ (2 Panzer IVs)
    • 2 Panzer IV Platoons (5 Panzer IVs each)
    • 2 Panzer III Platoons (5 Panzer IIIs each)

Panzergrenadier Regiment

• Regimental HQ
    • Two Panzergrenadier Battalions
    • Infantry Gun Company
    • Pioneer Company

Artillery Regiment

• Two Light Battalions
    • One Medium Battalion

Recon Battalion

• 1 Motorcycle Company
    • 18 Light Armoured Cars (Sd Kfz 222)
    • 6 Heavy Armoured Cars (Sd Kfz 234/2)
    • 1 Mechanized (Halftrack) Company
    • 1 Light Halftrack Company
    • 6 Heavy Mortars (Motorized)
    • 6 Pak 40s (Motorized)

• thank you very much for your help Der leiter. new source: http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/battles/Kursk/prokhorovka.htm,
    http://boards.avalonhill.com/showpost.php?p=179449&postcount=7(der lieter’s soveit union article) this are estimates(no way perfect) when you divided the total by 54 any guess should not affect it.

Russian Army
    36x KV-1 (32)
    324x Guards T-34 (33)
    162x T-34 (28)
    261x T-70 (12)
    36x Churchill Crocodile (35)
    45x Cossack Captain (9)
    135x Commissar (5)
    180x Kuomintang Machine-Gun Team (6)
    180x Degtyarev DP-27 (4)
    540x Mosin-Nagant (3)
    36x Red Army Forward Observer (8 )
    72x 82mm Mortar (11)
    2x Katyushas (12)
    80x BA-10M (12)
    144x Su-76m (18)
    54x ZIS-2 57mm  (8 )

• Russian Army: 625 points
    1x KV-1 (32)
    6x Guards T-34 (198)
    3x T-34 (84)
    5x T-70 (60)
    1x Churchill Crocodile (35)

1x Cossack Captain (9)
    2x Commissar (10)
    3x Kuomintang Machine-Gun Team (18)
    3x Degtyarev DP-27 (12)
    10x Mosin-Nagant (30)

1x Red Army Forward Observer (8 )
    2x 82mm Mortar (22)
    2x Katyushas (24)
    2x BA-10M (24)
    3x Su-76m (54)
    1x ZIS-2 57mm  (8 )

• i’m not sure when excatly i’ll do the german forces but should be soon. the russsians should be done except for the 2nd aorborne division. the use 2-IL while teh only planes russia had are the 10-IL. not sure if i should just count them as a half of 10-IL. it look slike there is aproxximently 150 air units (this is just a guess based on the size of a divison). that would be 3 10-IL if you divide by 54. but if they are not counted to there fullest extent then the could have 1, 2 or 3 airplanes. i’m thinking 2 10-ILs(if any at all)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m