Bad dice throwers, chop their hands off!!!

• So I’ve already read the CSub paper on people who throw dice to cheat, but I wanted more of a wider opinion on the matter.  What’s the proper or “right” way to throw dice when playing?  Do you throw them into the box and have them hit a side of the box so that they actually change sides?  And if someone is just pancake-throwing them (aka dropping them into the box with no rolls) do you out right accuse them or is there a more diplomatic approach without blatantly saying, “you damn cheater, i should break your fingers!” I ask because a couple of my friends who do just drop them into the box, or at the least, in a way “push” them into the box by turning his hand straight up and over and dropping the dice into the box.  You don’t know how many times “1s” will come up when this is done.  Even when playing A&A:D-Day, my planes were gettin blown out of the sky because of these types of rolls.

So, any suggestions on what to say to a person who does this type of thing?

• 2007 AAR League

Dive over the table and choke them out.

• Get dice cups or a dice tower.

I personally cup 'em up with both hands so I can’t see them, shake a bit, and open my hands to drop them to the table from high enough that they bounce but not so high they bounce off the table. Boxes are useful because they keep dice from going all over the place but they can keep the dice from bouncing. I think they should bounce at least once.

In your case I think the cups or the tower are the best answer. Putting the dice on your hand with the sixes up and flipping your hand over onto something that doesn’t give a rebound is pretty much cheating or at least trying to. I think you should not be able to see any side of the die or dice before you let them go.

• Hmm, thanks Frimmel, never thought of that.  Dice cups. Cool.  But what are dice towers? Never heard of those.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I usually toss with an under-hand throw and follow standard craps rules.  Hit a barricade and roll back.  They have to actually roll though, not slide.

That never helps my opponents, as for me, well, i’m a Dominatrix of Craps, I’ll get almost anything I want on physical dice.

• Jen, that’s usually what I do as well.  Either cup the dice with both hands and throw against the game box side(s), or use one hand and throw against the side(s)/end of the game box.  Usually works well.  Sometimes doesn’t.

• What we do is cup our hands with the dice inside and shake it for at least 2 seconds.  Its the best way to do it.  We use this method for miniatures as well.

• 2007 AAR League

I usually throw into the mini box that comes with the game

• How exactly do those towers work Craig?  Do you just put the dice in the top and they come out the bottom?

• @Craig:

I make die towers.

someone has a little too much time on there hands.  :-)

• someone has a little too much time on there hands.   :-)

Man, that’s a tough sell in a group of guys who’s common point of interest is moving around plastic tanks on cardboard maps in simulation of events from 60 years ago. ;)

The dice towers Craig builds, BTW, are quite good.

Peace

• Can someone at least tell me hwo they work please? :? :?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@General_D.Fox:

Can someone at least tell me hwo they work please? :? :?

Think it’s an entertainment thing, not a rolling thing, Fox.

• @General_D.Fox:

Can someone at least tell me hwo they work please? :? :?

Drop the dice in the top. They hit a slightly angled ledge/lip and bounce down to another angled lip then maybe to a third and bounce out into the collection area. The cross section would look kinda like a stairway. Don’t have one myself but I like the idea. Gotta get a nice springy wood I would think so they get a good bounce off the ledges.

• @CrazyStraw:

someone has a little too much time on there hands.  :-)

Man, that’s a tough sell in a group of guys who’s common point of interest is moving around plastic tanks on cardboard maps in simulation of events from 60 years ago. ;)

The dice towers Craig builds, BTW, are quite good.

Peace

the only reason i sarted playing A&A was to tweak it so you could similate WWIII.

• we’ve always rolled them without any restrictions.  If a single rolled die seems to land flat on a one that it was one when it was picked up, theres a general agreement in the group to reroll it.

Also, sometimes, we use pie-tins to roll into.  Theyre very compact and although the metal surface is loud, it prevents die from landing flat and makes them bounce and shift easier.

• @Craig:

@General_D.Fox:

How exactly do those towers work Craig?  Do you just put the dice in the top and they come out the bottom?

As frimmel has stated, there are internal baffles that randomize the dice for you.

No more dice flying across the table nuking the game board or missing the table/box lid and going under the couch.

I really got interested in them because of one guy in our group who always barely rolled the die out of his cupped hand.Â

JUST ROLL THE DAMN DICE!!! :evil:

I build a die tower and then the guy decides that he has to put some “action” on his dropping of the dice into the tower.  Which means the dice hit the edge of the opening and still fly off the table or onto the game board.Â

Just drop the dice in the top of the tower.  It does the work.  It’s that simple.

Craig

Will you bring any for sale to the gathering. And, more importantly, the ones with the larger base for the dice to exit to. I want one of those….

Squirecam

• @Craig:

Larger width or longer tray? :?

Knowing you it’s both! :roll:

Craig

You are correct in that i’d like it larger all around, but the longer tray is more important. I know you had some of those at one time.

Squirecam

• Use felt to cushion the insides of the die tower.

• Don’t you people knock anybody who makes dice towers!

Dice towers are the saviour for the game against those dice floppers who cheat.

Everyone of you must own a dice tower if you want to call yourselves a hard core gamer.

I will accept a dice roller as a substitute. A dice roller is a custom wooden or plastic box thats padded and long so it performs like a vegas crap table only much smaller and narrow.

Chessex makes a hexagonal dice roller thats acceptable.

If you roll in the box your all cheaters.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m