• Hey guys -

I’ve been interested in A&A:Pacific since I’ve heard about it.  I’m going over the rules right now, and I’d love to play.  I’d like to play as one of the Allied powers with another person experienced in the game to mentor me as the other Allied force, then a third to play Japan so I can get a feel for their strategy.

Anyone up to it?  PM me, or reply here.

Sorry if I’ve put this in the wrong spot, but I thought Pacific players would see this better here.

:-)

• I’m always willing to play a game of Pacific.  I’ll play either as one of the Allies or Japan.

SS

• @saburo:

I’m always willing to play a game of Pacific.  I’ll play either as one of the Allies or Japan.

SS

Great!
    I was hoping you would respond.  Based on your knowledge of this particular game, I’d prefer it if you took the other Allied spot, but I’m not forcing people to do anything.  Hopefully we’ll get a 3rd person interested in the next couple of days…

• If you need a third player, I’ll volunteer.

(edited for spelling)

• @Fletcher:

If you need a third player, I’ll volunteer.

(edited for spelling)

Awesome!  Now we just need to pick sides.

Like I said, I’d prefer someone experienced as an Allied partner, but want to keep this game fun for you guys.  Which force would be most appropriate for my first game?

• Well, if you want an experienced partner, you can’t ask for a better player then Saburo Sakai.  I’ll gladly take the Japanese side.  I would prefer we use MotCreations’ Mapview for the game, if at all possible.

• I was looking at it from abattlemap, but if you prefer another utility, I’ll gladly use it.  Where can I find Mapview?

• Why don’t I play UK and you can play the US.  There’s a little more to do with the US, so it’s often more fun to play but you can get into a lot more trouble playing the UK so with me playing them, maybe we can avoid an India crush.

You can get Mapview here:  http://www.rjware.net/DOI/club-tools.htm

Play around with it a bit.  The beauty of Mapview is that you don’t have to write out your turns because you will have a visual representation of all your moves.  If you like, I can send you a sample map once you download the utility.

We will also have to decide on a bid system.  Both Fletcher and I have used the inverse IPC and are familiar with it.  Since we have already decided that Fletcher will play Japan, maybe we can agree that the bid IPCs will be 12 and the VP target is 24.  Is that OK, Fletch?

SS

• That works fine for me SS!  Once you two have things sorted out, let me know your ipc distribution and ools.

• Jermofoot, send me a pm or email if you have any questions.

SS

• We’ll also need to decide on a roller.  Saburo, do you know if ROI will support a 3 player game?

• I believe that it will.  The game won’t be set up as a DOI game, which means that we will have to insert email addresses every time we use the roller, but all we need to do is separate the addresses with a colon and the emails will get mailed to each player.

SS

• 2007 AAR League

@saburo:

The beauty of Mapview is that you don’t have to write out your turns because you will have a visual representation of all your moves.

What do you mean by this?  It actually shows you where you attacked or non-com’ed?  Shows results of combat?  Shows where you placed units?  Please expand.

Thanks.

Rob

• Ok, I’ll download Mapview tonight, and playing the US sounds fine with me.

Can you speak more on the inverse IPC bid, or point me to an existing article concerning it?  I trust your decision on it, but feel I should get more info on the subject.

I suppose I need a link for the ROI roller as well.  I’ll check the tools thread started by DarthMaximus to see if it’s listed there.

• @rjclayton:

@saburo:

The beauty of Mapview is that you don’t have to write out your turns because you will have a visual representation of all your moves.

What do you mean by this?  It actually shows you where you attacked or non-com’ed?  Shows results of combat?  Shows where you placed units?  Please expand.

Thanks.

Rob

Rob,
    Mapview allows you to see a map of each phase of every round played.  There are colored arrows included which can be placed on the maps to indicate combat and non-combat movements, notes can be left directly on the map for your opponent to indicate OOLs and such, units are placed or moved with a drag and drop.  Each phase map is stored and can be easily referred back to simply by clicking on the proper tab.  It’s an excellent utility.  I couldn’t see playing A&A PBEM without it.

• 2007 AAR League

Interesting.  I’ll have to experiment with this.  Sounds much better the ABattlemap.

• If I did this right, here is an example of a Mapview map.

Jermofoot,

I wrote an article on the Art of Bidding.  That will describe the inverse bid.

Basically, both sides bid a number of IPCs.  The “winner” is the team that bids higher.  That team plays Japan.  The other team gets the amount of the bid in IPCs to be distributed among the three Allied nations.  The VP target is 24.

In our game, we will get 12 extra IPCs to distribute among India, Aus and US.  This is in addition to the convoy money.  Fletcher will play Japan and have a VP target of 24.

I hope that helps.

SS

[attachment deleted by admin]

• @saburo:

If I did this right, here is an example of a Mapview map.

Jermofoot,

I wrote an article on the Art of Bidding.  That will describe the inverse bid.

Basically, both sides bid a number of IPCs.  The “winner” is the team that bids higher.  That team plays Japan.  The other team gets the amount of the bid in IPCs to be distributed among the three Allied nations.  The VP target is 24.

In our game, we will get 12 extra IPCs to distribute among India, Aus and US.  This is in addition to the convoy money.  Fletcher will play Japan and have a VP target of 24.

I hope that helps.

SS

Ah…well I know about bidding, but not exactly in this sense.  I’ll check the article.  And your map posted fine, but I’ll have to check it later.

• 2007 AAR League

If anyone is going to do this again please let me know I will probably be willing to play. I have the game but do not get to play that often FTF so I would like to play. Even if its 1 vs. 1.

• I’m always up for a game of AAP!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m