• In my earlier games, I was never agressive enough with the axis to win, but now anytime I play, its kind of a bland march into moscow with japan.  I figure that when I play as the allies, I’d like to try and stop this.  It seems easier to take out Germany than Japan, so Im thinking Ill take it all over to europe, but I have a few questions.

1. As Russia, how many forces should you put towards Japan to halt their advance?

2. As Germany, how would you go about countering a KGF strategy?

3. As Britain, what would be your main path into Europe?  Do you go NOR/KAR/EEU/GER, or do you try to go through France?

4. As Japan, what would be your best path for racing towards Moscow to take pressure off of the Germans?

5. As the US, do you mainly aid the brits by following them and occupying territories they leave, or do you stage your own landings in Italy or Western Europe?  Also, how much of your power do you want in the pacific to make sure the japanese dont get too big?

• 1. I usually put minimal forces towards Japan.  No more than are already in the Eastern USSR territories at the start of the game.

3. For me it depends on what Germany does to threaten the UK fleet.  If Germany could take out my UK fleet with its Baltic fleet and airforce, then I will make a few landings in Karelia via SZ 4 to avoid an attack.  Once I have defeated the German fleet then I usually like to keep the pressure on France with attacks every round unless Russia is in trouble.

5. Once the German fleet is destroyed, I like to land US forces in France as well.  This forces Germany to devote almost all their forces to holding or retaking France every turn.  Initially, I will make landings in Algeria to avoid getting taken out by a German fleet.  That also forced Germany to protect Italy somehow and allows you to land there if Germany is careless.

1. As Russia, how many forces should you put towards Japan to halt their advance?

I don’t usually use any.  I retreat in the East and then counter as Japan approaches Moscow.  Usually fortifing in Kaz or Novo (or even Mos). This allows you to put max pressure on Germany for the first 4-5 rds or so.

Hard to give a short answer, but early gains in Afr help, with drop-off of troops on G1-3.  This forces the Allies to keep some sort of presence in Afr and should buy the Axis time for Japan to get going so you can shift to a 1-2 punch on Russia as Germany is pushed out of Afr to the Middle East.

3. As Britain, what would be your main path into Europe?  Do you go NOR/KAR/EEU/GER, or do you try to go through France?

I perfer the Kar/EE route and staying north.  This gives you the ability to help Russia if needed.  If you go full force into WE with UK and US, then those troops are stuck there and out of play if Russia needs help.  A good Axis player will take advantage of that.

4. As Japan, what would be your best path for racing towards Moscow to take pressure off of the Germans?

Middle.  Chi-Sin-Kaz (or Novo).  The Northern route usually doesn’t require lots of troops and if you have a strong enough army up the middle the Southern route will fall quite easily as well.  I tend to try and focus on the center of the board.  I also don’t over extend on J1 or 2.  I go Pearl and Chi (and Bury if 1 inf or empty) on J1 and on J2 pick up any other empties but will focus on pushing the Allies out of Sin, worst case will probably be J3.

5. As the US, do you mainly aid the brits by following them and occupying territories they leave, or do you stage your own landings in Italy or Western Europe?  Also, how much of your power do you want in the pacific to make sure the japanese dont get too big?

If Japan didn’t do well at Pearl, I’ll consider a counter and Pac strat.  More times then not though, I’ll follow UK.  UK lands in Afr, then US to Afr.  UK then goes back up to Nor, US troops to Nor, or continue to Afr.  I also usually buy extra air with UK on UK 1 and possibly some more on US 1 as well.  It gives you a pretty good reach come rounds 3, 4 and on.  And can deter Japanese landings in Africa.

• Alsol Id like to ask about 2 strategies im toying wiht,

First, to take pressure off of the germans, I decided that invading Alaska is a complete mindfuck.  And, if the americans are avoiding the japanese threat in alaska, and if the Japanese are near40 IPCS, building an IC there really makes the americans spazz out and forget about building transports for a turn and care only about securing the central US and blocking Japan at Canada and eliminating those transports that got the troops there.

Also, Ive been thinking about how to make a big spearhead type attack, where Russia converges their forces into one HUGE army that Germany wouldnt dare to attempt to attack, and using a few infantry and armor to trail behind the army and protect the spearheads gains.

• I have written elsewhere (as has Darth) about ways to make an Alaska landing by Japan in the mid-game potentially be more than a mind frack, but an actual ISSUE for the US.  There is also Candian Shield from the Caspian Sub website.

• 1. As Russia, how many forces should you put towards Japan to halt their advance?

You cannot stop the Japs.  They have mysterious powerz  Also giant mecha robots.

No, really . . . nothing or lots.  Either you team up with US/UK to stop Japan at Ssinkiang/India.  Or you pull back to Yakut, then to Novosibirsk (you threaten both Ssinkiang and Yakut from Novosibirsk; Novosibirsk is key to defense of the East).  You can’t really ATTACK Japan, or even slow them down a lot most of the time, because Japan players that run tanks can switch the direction of their attack.  If the Japs don’t run lots of tanks . . . then it’s easier to protect the East.  But if Japan builds tanks, run away.  How do you respond to Jap tanks at Mancuhuria, or French Indochina?  Both threaten Ssinkiang.  From Frindo, they threaten India.  From Manchuria, they threaten Yakut.  So if you beef up at Yakut, they run to Ssinkiang, and then you have to pull back to Novosibirsk, then the OTHER Jap tanks grab Yakut.  Ho ho.  Japan tanks yay.

Free German beer.  Also, German women are hawt.

Three ways.  Either you try to build up your fleet a bit to slow down the Allies (they have to kill your fleet before they can start landing in force).  OR you build infantry/fighters, and play defensively with your navy, forcing the Allies to keep away from the German navy.  Or you just let the Allies creeeeep up on you with their transports while you send everything to Moscow like crazy, building infantry early and late and tanks for midgame (early infantry and midgame tanks plus German air to hit Moscow, late infantry to trade W. Europe, hold Germany, that sort of thing).

France, because French women are also hawt.  Also the cooking is yum.

No, not rly.

W. Europe (France) is a horrid crack for UK because of German defenses plus S. Eur and Germany counterattack.  You can reinforce with US, but . . . well, it’s REAL messy; it’s hard to race 10+ units a turn from Germany.  Yeah, you bleed Germany, but while Germany’s bleeding, it kills Russia.

Usually I go Nor/Kar/EEu with UK.  NOT always.  Sometimes I just run London-Archangel-Moscow instead.

Pokemon!

Well, J1 is pretty much set, you try to progress in Burytia and possibly Soviet Far East, you kill the US fighter in China (it can be a REAL problem), and grab India if it’s free (which it often isn’t).  For J1 build you run 3 transports, or 2 transports 1 IC if Axis bid, but I’m thinking these days that 3 transports is more sound.  Well . . . J2 you drop lots of guys from Japan onto French Indochina and Burytia.  Rinse and repeat.

I find that there is no SINGLE best path to get to Moscow.  If the Allies play defensively, you grab Soviet Far East, Burytia, Yakut.  If the Allies defend India but neglect Ssinkiang, you push through the center.  If the Allies defend Ssinkiang but neglect India, yo grab India and pop an IC there.  If India and Ssinkiang BOTH receive no reinforcements, you grab everything, run lots of infantry into Yakut/China, late midgame, then consolidate at Novosibirsk, or take Novosibirsk with infantry/fighters, and consolidate tanks at either China to threaten Kazakh/Novosibirsk, or at Yakut to threaten Evenki and Novosibirsk next round (it depends on what’s going on with Germany)

Adaptation is the key to winning!

Harry Potter needs my help?

Usually, I find that UK take / US reinforce is only good for threatening Germany.  Actually carrying out the threat is very expensive.  It works against inexperienced German players.  I try to set up transports into Africa with US, and later threaten W. Eur/S. Eur with transports west of Algeria.  Except early Africa (marching east to Persia), though, I find that I usually keep US and UK separate for most of the early game (using UK and US to bleed off early German gains, specifically using UK and US forces to trade territories with Germany so Russia doesn’t have to expend its infantry trading with Germay).  Late game, sure, I consolidate UK/US/USSR at E. Europe, or at Persia/India, or whatever, but by that time I’ve already won.

No power in the Pacific.  If Japan wants to attack US early game, let them, that’s less Russia has to worry about.  I will build Pacific infantry/tank defense late in the game for US to forestall a probable Alaska/W. Canada landing by Japan (there’s really no other easy target in range for Japan, so attack is very likely).  But even then . . . it’s just a holding force to stop Japanese advances while I kill Germany.

Sometimes, if Germany has switched to heavy defense, I’ll switch targets to Japan late game.  With Germany mostly contained, and Russia safe, it is easy to attack Japan.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m