December 15, 2017, 04:06:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want a t-shirt? Check out our awesome Axis & Allies .org T-Shirt Store! Search me
  Articles  
   Home   Help Login Register AACalc  
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you take Astralia/NZ/Hawaii as Japan?  (Read 2447 times)
JLord
A&A.org Mechanized Infantry

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:23:14 am »

Just wondering what most people like to do.  Assume that the US abandons the Pacific after a succesful pearl harbour attack on J1.  Do you make efforts to take Australia, NZ, and Hawaii (or any of these) right away, or do you just pour everything into Asia?  Why, or why not?
Cmdr Jennifer
Site Moderator
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

League and Tournament Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 11:24:24 am »

Depends.

If Africa is going to be a fight, I'll flee with my BB/TRN and take it with Germany.

If Africa isn't that much of a fight, and I have nothing better to do with Japan, I'll take it with Japan
ncscswitch
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:59:24 am »

For me they have become a mid-game aquisition instead of early on like I used to. 

Allows me to be more solid in Asia, get my full compliment of TRNs and IC's built, clear the Indian and Pacific Oceans of enemies... THEN take Australia, NZ.  Hawaii is always in teh "maybe" category.  It is only 1 IPC, and that from the US, which already has so much income that 1 IPC won't matter much to them.  And it takes a LOT of effort to get Hawaii... multiple TRNs, BB's and/or loaded AC (which are better used at Africa), so I only rarely take Hawaii, and that usually in end-game, once I already have more than enough forces to kill Moscow.  Otherwise the loss of 4 INF to Asia (what it usually takes to insure killing Hawaii) simply is NOT worth the risk.  Those 4 INF as fodder for Russia are about 50 times more valuable than that 1 IPC 

Thow in an annoyance grab of Alaska with 1-2 INF if it is free and the US has no navy/AF to kill your TRN.

But then it is back on bridge duty for my fleet...
And of course you can ONLY go after those targets if you have NO enemies in either the Pacific or Indian Ocean, AND if you ahve "extra" TRNs.  Otherwise the cost-benefit analysis is VERY negative for taking any one of them, let alone all 4 (Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, and the annoyance grab of Alaska)

I used to be a BIG fan of NZ in J3, Australia in J4, then on to Africa or reinforce/take India J5.  But I got burned too many time by it.

nooob
A&A.org Mechanized Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 12:23:46 pm »

hawj1(with toyko express) nz j2, aus j3 mad j4 uosa j5 brazil j6
88 Millimeter
A&A.org Tank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 12:34:10 pm »

It really depends on the game.

If the game starts out strong for the Allies in the center of the board you will need economy to compete. I go Hawaii, NZ, Aus, Mad/ India if that's the case.

If the Allies have any problems out of the gate the islands become an afterthought- something for a pleasant stroll later in the game. The focus should of course be on battering down the gates of Moscow.
ncscswitch
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 12:38:56 pm »

Pearl AND take Hawii?  Fight through 1 AC, 1 FIG, 1 SUB, THEN land in Hawaii and beat 2 INF, 1 FIG?

That is VERY risky, even with the TE NA.  You won;t have any support shots.  The only FIG that can reach is the one from Carolines AC.
That means 3 INF, 1 ARM, 1 FIG against 2 INF, 1 FIG, which is an 85% win.
The problem is, you have no fodder for the preceeding Naval battle, except the SUB, IF it was not killed by the UK in UK1.
That means you are losing high-end units (quite likely a BB) at Pearl in order to take Hawaii.

And you reduce yourself to China being your ONLY gain in Asia, unless UK abandoned India.

May be viable.  Have never tried it.  But on first review, it looks to be damn risky, especially with the US counter attack on the Japan Fleet thrown in on uS1.
AJ
2007 AAR League
A&A.org Battleship

Hello

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »

And you reduce yourself to China being your ONLY gain in Asia, unless UK abandoned India.

What else do you take as Japan on J1 in Asia ... I usually only take China on J1 and then on J2 I move into Russia and Sinkiang
ncscswitch
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 04:21:52 pm »

I usually get either India or Bury in addition to China.  On rare occasions, I get both.
Nix
2007 AAR League
A&A.org Aircraft Carrier

League 2012: 1 wins, 0 Losses

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 06:26:58 pm »

i´ll sometimes get Australia.
SSG Rock
A&A.org Artillery

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 12:59:43 am »

Unless you're trying to divert US forces from the European theater, Hawaii is too big a gamble.  AUS and NZ are later round acquisitions, since your trns are better utilized getting troops into Asia early on. grin
Dr. Jones
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 06:28:43 am »

I usually take China and Bury in round 1. I like to take Aus in round 3, then on to Madagascar in round 4, UOSA in round 5 and brazil in Round 6. 
Emperor Mollari
2007 AAR League
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

The Emperor has returned.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 09:23:28 am »

If I get $2 from the bid and buy 4 transports I will head for Australia as soon as possible.  Taking Aus/NZ early is a good move because it deprives the UK of 3IPC for the rest of the game.  Hawaii I will take later after I have an IC in Asia and have my transport bridge set up.
Cmdr Jennifer
Site Moderator
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

League and Tournament Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 11:00:26 am »

Actually, unless I missed a bid, Switch, you can't hit Hawaii with 3 Inf, 1 Arm because only 1 transport can reach.  That's at most 1 inf, 1 arm, 1 fig vs 2 inf, 1 fig on defense.
ncscswitch
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 11:05:08 am »

Correct.  I made an error.

So it is FAR worse than I thought, which means from bad, to abysmal.
ShadowHAwk
A&A.org Battleship

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 12:49:15 am »

I have been planning on taking it early game with japan but since my usual opponent is MIA ( did not have time ) i did not test it fully.
There is a point where you buy IC's on the asia mainland so you cant use all 4 trannies that turn. So that would be the best turn to move to australia since 1 or 2 trannies are not used anyway.

It is only 3 ipcs but then again they stay yours and they will also go away from the UK making germanies life easier.
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

2017 Support Drive

Read about this support drive.
Support Level
Forum Username
Note: payee will appear as Livid Labs, LLC.
Buy Axis & Allies
  • Axis & Allies 1942 [Amazon]
  • A&A Pacific 1940 [Amazon]
  • A&A Europe 1940 [FMG]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • A&A D-Day [Amazon]
  • A&A Battle of the Bulge [Amazon]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • WWII Themed Combat Dice [FMG]

Axis and Allies.org Official Gold Sponsor: Historical Board Gaming