• do you think germany and japn can tack on the us before dealing with the uk and russians?

• In a word, no.

Germany does not have the fleet to be able to pull of a serious US strike without significant buildup first.  And the US defensive is IMPOSSIBLE to crack for Japan (and UK can pretty much take care of the Germany fleet, either when it is outbound, or on teh return trip to re-load TRNs).

You just can;t get enough forces into play against the US fast enough to make it work.

There is ONE major strategy posted regarding this, it is called Canadian Shield.  I think the entire essay is in the archives here, if not it is posted at the Caspian Sub yahoo group and it was authored by Crazy Straw.  But even Canadian Shield is geared more to taking the US out of the war in Europe and Asia more than at actually taking the US (unless the US counters it poorly).

I personally think it is dreadfully flawed, and CS and I have argued about it on several occasions.

Of course there ARE those times when Eastern US is left open and you ahve a TRN and BB in SZ12 as Germany…

• even if japan builds 3transports an palce them on the utside of japan and 2infantry. the n on j2 attack alaska

• If the US sets up (as they should) to shuck their troops from WUS to Europa/Africa via WCan and ECan, then the Japs landing in Alaska is short lived.

Even if they did not, the US builds heavy land forces in US2 to go defensive, plus some ART and ARM, and kicks Japan out in US3, then using the surviving US forces to send to Europe/Africa.

• how come germany never takes brazil on g3 tis is an option which willl allow grmany to build bombers and attack africa from the north and the west.

• as america i always build tech and bombers for sbr and when japan attacks alska i ussaly build a bunch of tanks and blitz. then the nezt turn i built a navy to tranport. this is assuming i’m trying to kill germany first . i wouldn’t try to kill america during a kjf.

• Usually because the Med Fleet is trapped in the Med after US1

• @ncscswitch:

Usually because the Med Fleet is trapped in the Med after US1

Which is the other reason that Canadian Shield thing even modified doesn’t work.

Germany is essentially landlocked. They don’t have enough fleet to contest UK alone in the Atlantic and if they build it Comrade Stalin is having Schnapps in the Reich Chancellory.

• Cyan,
        I believe what everyone is trying to say is “The Axis can only do a KAF if the US and UK allow it to happen.”  ncscswitch is correct, the answer is ‘NO’.

Attacking the US directly is more of a sucker-punch, or a diversion.  The US player should be able to see it coming several turns away, once they have seen it the first time, and should have no trouble preventing it.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Switch,

It was my understanding Canadian Shield was not to kill off America, it was to critically delay America’s entry into the European Theater.

• It is, but if not countered well, it CAN lead to taking the US.

regardles, as flawed as it is, it is still the BEST way to get “after” the US, at least early in teh game, barring catastrophic errors by the Allies.

That it is.  But as has been said, if America has any clue what they are doing, they’ll have started from W. USA through Canada to E. Canada, not E. USA.

Though, sometimes i go E. USA because it’s clear Japan is NOT hitting Alaska/Canada.  (You can usually tell based on how poorly they start in Asia on their turn and hwere they have their transports.)  In that case, I find 5 transports, 8 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 armor available to land on Africa in US 2 is a large enough force to hit Africa and derail some German plans.

• But a typical SZ60 placement of a 4 TRN fleet can offload to Alaska/Wcan as easilly as to Bury.  And a BB there may only be fleet defense, or a BB shot to hammer any defenders in eitehr territory…

Yes, well, as I said, depending on the Jap set up. :)

Benefit to America is you can set up to counter both German moves and Jap moves. :)

• Agreed.  And that was a VERy valuable lesson that Darth taught me :-)

• your wright totally irealestic but i thought it would be cool to have a airforce in brazil.

• I don’t care if Japan lands in Alaska / West Canada.

Let them.

They didn’t land on the Asian coast, which is plenty good enough for me.

(edit)

Oh yeah . . . I never set up W Can/E Can.  US1, I usually go 3 trans 3 tank 1 inf or 1 AC 2 trans 2 tank, and US2 move to Algeria while building 2 trns 2 tnk 2 inf (plus assorted).  It has to be done RIGHT AWAY before Germany starts partying down from Anglo-Egypt.  Once Germany sees 4 inf 4 tank in Africa (2 inf 2 tank from UK), Germany knows that any tanks that go to Africa will probably die in Africa, so Germany has to start making tough decisions.  The first two waves of US builds march through Africa so US2 to Libya, US3 to Anglo-Egypt, US4 to Trans-Jordan, US6 to Persia.  In the meantime, Japan will have probably stalled against India for a couple turns because of Pearl Harbor, so India falls on J3 at earliest, then J4 Persia.  But if Russia managed to stall Japan’s advance at ALL on the India front, US, UK, and Russia can unite at Persia to block the Japs out . . . at which time they head to Africa.  But the block isn’t possible if you delay the US1 build or usually even the US2 build because Germany counters the US holdings unless US reinforcements keep arriving.

• 2007 AAR League

I could be done if Germany gets the 8 bid to place a sub in SZ8, this killing all UK ships (exept 1 trn in canada)…

But still very, very, very hard.

• I agree with newpaintbrush. Getting troops on the ground, especially US armor in Africa, is critical for the allies. On US2 there’s a pretty good chance that armor can roll through Libya (after Britain took it on UK2) and take back Egypt. The timing is critical- the German med navy is then trapped and will be destroyed. If that small navy escapes it can cause alot of trouble, or at the least will make the Japanese navy virtually impregnable.

4 inf/ AA gun does it for me in W Canada early game- I start the Canadian shuck a little later and lock down the west coast of the US for good. If Japan is using forces in Alaska/ Canada early, Russia is a little more relaxed. And frankly unless it’s a sizable force the US doesn’t break a sweat either.

Please tell me Japan is never niave enough to do an Amphib on J1 on Alaska!  Please tell me Jap players are usually wise enough to realize they can’t even think about an Alaskan assault until Russia’s been beat back to Moscow.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m