• Since the diceys aren’t verified by the other side, isn’t it easy to cheat to give yourself believable good luck when you need it?

• Dicey results are e-mailed direct to your opponent by the Dicey site (at least with Frood and DAAk they are, I think Flames can e-mail also, but Flames keeps an archive as well based on second hand knowledge).  And our in-site dicey removes the rolling results if you edit a post that contains rolls and replaces them with the command line data, so any edit of a post with in-site dice rollers removes the results.

It is not a fool-proof system (as Dan, the owner of Frood, pointed out that he could edit his own site software), but is rather reliable since there are diverse sites, and most of them have board oversite so that any “conspiracy” to change results would have to be VERY large, and also would have to handle the immediate e-mails to an opponent.

• So much for me winning…

Just kidding, thank you.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Flames does keep a record of all dice rolls and you can even go back to the very first set of that game if you want too.  Very nice system.  You can upload maps to it as well and the best part is, the Dicey is actually fair, unlike DAAK.

Dunno.  DAAK’s really screwy.  I’ve never flown a single aircraft over an AA Gun with DAAK and NOT been shot out of the air.  4 Fighters, 4 kills.  Dang reliable gun.  And if you talk to NoMercy he can attest to how often my infantry hit him on attack with DAAK.

What I’m getting at is do some research on your diceys.  There are a few to choose from:

http://www.axisandallies.org/node/31

A decent dicy.  Emails results, but won’t let you put in a game number or round number. (At least it didn’t use too.)  This dicey uses a random number generator on a table starting with 3, 2, 4, 5, 1, 6 which results in many more 2’s, 3’s and 4’s and less 1, 5 and 6’s.  Means you cannot attack with 2 infantry and be virtually guarenteed to kill your target like you can with some other diceys.

www.daak.de

I believe you have to have a game registered to use this one.  Not sure.  However, this site has a fundamental flaw.  Their dicey runs from 1-6 resulting in an in-proportionate number of '1’s compared to '6’s.  I’ve literally seen 30 attacking infantry score 27 hits.  I just did it in game.  Which was really lucky because the AA Gun there also shot down all 4 attacking fighters, which should have been the lions share of my attacking strength over a number of rounds.

Frood (http://frood.net/aacalc/) has an excellent system.  I just wish he had an option to also send an email result to the player rolling the dice…a back up in case the target pretended to never get the results or in case you actually put a typo into the target email field and he never DID get the results.  (Hate to have a really good hand disapear because you put a # sign in instead of a @ sign for his email address!)  I don’t know his randomization method, but it seems pretty fair.  I’ve yet to see a really good hand or a really bad hand on his site, and I’ve used it extensively. (Mainly because everyone insists on playing on DAAK here and DAAK has a nasty habbit of going down.)

The final, reliable, dicey is the board.  Our internal dicey seems to be pretty fair.  I’ve used it often enough and, while I’ve bitched about the results at times, I usually don’t come out too  bad as either attacker or defender with it.

With that said, there is also the AAMC dicey, though AAMC has been down for what, about a month now I think.

• You can send as many e-mails as you like with Frood.

Enter the first e-mail addy, then put a comma, then the next e-mail.  It is just like typing an e-mail with multiple recipients in that regard.

I have done that several times in my last cuople of games when DAAK was down.

• 2007 AAR League

Jennifer, are you sure about what you are saying about the DAAK dicey? In what way would a dicey that runs from 1-6 produce a disproportionate number of 1:s?
    What is the response from the DAAK people?

cheers / Perry

• Jen has been claiming teh worlds worst luck with DAAK for months.

Claims that if a sim shows 90% or less success rate, DAAK makes her lose; that AA gainst her never miss, etc.

@Perry:

Jennifer, are you sure about what you are saying about the DAAK dicey? In what way would a dicey that runs from 1-6 produce a disproportionate number of 1:s?
    What is the response from the DAAK people?

-Note, my bad, I meant to type 6-1, not 1-6.

I never talked to their people.  However, the concept is this:

First DAAK determines if a ‘6’ is the result, a 16.7% probability of occurring.  However, that doesn’t play out for the next number on the list.  A chance of a ‘5’ is now 1 in 5, or 20%.  Then a ‘4’ is a 1/4 or 25%.  Then a ‘3’ is a 1/3 or 33%.  Then a chance of a ‘2’ is 50%.  Then all remainders are defined as a result of ‘1’.

So the DAAK System breaks down like this, and I’ve opened a couple of phantom games with myself to prove it based on 100 dice at a time.

Result - Percentage
    6 - 16.7%
    5 - 20.0%
    4 - 25.0%
    3 - 33.3%
    2 - 50.0%
    1 - 100%

Bear in mind, you must succeed at each level before moving to the next rung.  So it’s technically true that each chance is only 1 in 6, on the first roll.  But the system re-rolls for different results instead of rolling for a random position on a table of 6 results, as I believe FROOD, AAMC and FoE do.

So, in DAAK games, I tend to not build tanks and rely very heavily on my infantry.  It seems to work well because I usually get a lot closer to 33% on my attack rolls and 50% on my dice rolls over the period of an entire game.

It’s not so much a BAD thing, it’s just like playing with low luck rules…you have to change your tactics to compensate.  For instance, NEVER go on a strategic bombing raid unless you don’t want that bomber anymore.  Odds are very good it’ll get shot down by the defending AA gun.  Armor and Fighters almost never miss on attack.  But they’re also not worth the investment because your infantry are much stronger on attack then they should be, given the flawed calculations.

Switch doesn’t believe me.  And that’s his perrogative.  However, Mercy’s seen the effect of my infantry on attack (what was it, NoMercy, something like 95% of the time the fighter I sent with the infantry never got to shoot because your defenders were destroyed already?  Or was it more often?)

• If the dice were as you claim, in all the games I ahve played, I would have seen some massive dice skews over 21 games.

The occasional bad battle, but nothign like what Jen describes

Everyone experiences something different.

Guess the point is, find a dicey you like and stick to it.  I personally hate DAAK.  It’s the most flawed dicey program I’ve ever encountered, when applied to massive dice rolls.  For minutia rolls it seems to do okay at times.  (Like if you want to find the result for 1 infantry, 1 artillery vs 1 infantry, you’ll win about 70% of the time.)  but it’s those massive battles that seem to go horribly wrong for me or my opponent on DAAK that scare me from using them.  Almost always it results in 33% accuracy with attacking infantry vs 40% accuracy with defending infantry.

So yea.  Use whatever system you want.  I like FROOD and Flames of Europe.  But DAAK’s the most popular on here.  (Maybe that’s why I massively harder time winning games from AA.org opponents on DAAK then I do on any other dicey?  The tactics are almost identical, only the dicey is different, yet the DAAK dicey always throws the battle to the attacker, not the defender.  And I’m a very defensive player, usually.  I’d rather force you to attack me, then move out to attack you (other then for territory trading) if I can.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m