• I got Larry Harris to chim in an answer some questions about his upcoming game. Here are the questions i asked and his responses.

My questions:

) can we get picture of back of box?

1. can AH actually begin some process of TELLING people about this game?

2. Can you tell us about combat “strips”

3. Does the game end by dec 25th? jan 31st?

4. any optional rules?

5. are the british colored revised green?

6. Do the Germans have any SS troops?

Put me down for 16 copies of Larry’s new Bulge game on Nov 17th 2006.

Larry Harris answers:

1. I have no pictures. Any pictures that become available will be released by Avalon Hill, not me.

2. I’ll be demoing it all day Thursday and some on Friday at Gencon

3. Yes. In a nut shell these are pulled out from under the board. You only pull out the same number of unit types as you have targets. These pulled downed images become the targets. Their position on the columns assigns them an “Address” per si. If the attack dice (12-sided) are rolled and share the same address, the target takes a HIT. One hit forces a retreat, two or more eliminates the target.

4. I’m not sure an exact end date was established in the final draft of the game. In my mind it ends January 1st. The German player has to match what the real German army did by that date and better it by one town or actually a certain number of points.

5.Yes, but limited (intentionally). One, for example, is the Custom Set up… That’s kind of self explanatory . This has more to do with the German Army set up than the other way around.

6. Brits are a light-tan. Probably more like in Pacific than anything else.

7. They are recognized from an historical point of view as being SS.

You see Imperious has got some “pull” and i use it to push.

All you people had best reserve a copy of this game. It will be his best to date!

• Well I will have my retailer order me one copy.

I want to hear more about these combat strips. Doesn’t sound like the A&A we are used to.

• Looks very cool. Set up on the map like D-Day, hexes to cross over with minis. Do you think there will there be a stack limit?

I don’t think I like the baby blue box colors. I supposed it is supposed to be “cold.” Maybe it looks better in the flesh? They did say it wasn’t done though. I get a feeling this is the one I’ve been “waiting for.” 3-4 hours. Good afternoon of gaming but not overly long.

• Nice to finally see some screens for Battle of the Bulge.  Nice find IL.  :wink:

• Its only 8 turns… so its like 2 hour thing. Great for beer and pretzels!

I believe each unit icon = a number of units… not only one piece. Their is no way you start with like 20 units!!

note the description of the new combat rules. Its very different than before.

I got more coming down the pipeline and will post.

I check the net like every hour for info

This has been your axisand allies.org reporter signing off till latter…

• I don’t want to start anything… but this Bulge game looks alot like my version from 1.5 years ago. Notice the simularities of the map. Those numbers on my map are also Victory points. The supply method is card driven but you can of course capture those “oil drums” to get more cards, plus i also went with large hexes. The combat system is radically different. Ill take all these ideas as a compliment!

But probably its just one of those " what else is somebody gonna do with a bulge game?" Its like theirs only so many ways to probably do a game like this.

check it out:

http://advancedaxisandallies.com/page24.html

• Looks like there will be separate fuel and ammo tokens. Also the new tanks look pretty cool. I trust that we are also not seeing the final graphics on the map. I know it is winter but that blue-gray looks like it might get a bit fatiguing to look at. Maybe it is just the lighting?

I would agree that it is probably not out and out plagerizing IL. To create a playable and histroically accurate game designers will undoubtedly make similar choices.

• I think thats the final map. The weird thing is that white border. I think its moved forward as the Germans move ahead. Its kinda funky looking thing IMO.

Yea I think your correct about the seperate ammo and fuel… The Germans cant use allied bullets and artillery shells due to different caliber/types of weapons. I dont see how its too realistic if ammo is included.

• I was wondering about that too. Is it just for visualising the line or is it a fortification of some sort? Do you think it is an aid that you can do away with as you play more games? As to the map. I hope that isn’t it. Although it does “match” the box. It looks like a print out that has been laminated which might explain the white border.

Do you think maybe you can only capture enemy fuel? That maybe you will need to manage a supply line to keep ammo and fuel moving to the front? That you could hamper the opponent by hitting his ammo dumps? And that as Germany you will be very dependent on capturing the Allied fuel depots? That fuel depots may prove as important an objective as gaining the enemy cities?

I thought I was kinda curious about this game. I was thinking that will be neat to pick up when it comes out. Now I’m ready to buy a set today and want a rule book and want to know how it works. I so should have gone to GenCon. I will be patient and watch however. I will wait for IL to keep posting the cool info.

• I was wondering about that too. Is it just for visualising the line or is it a fortification of some sort? Do you think it is an aid that you can do away with as you play more games? As to the map. I hope that isn’t it. Although it does “match” the box. It looks like a print out that has been laminated which might explain the white border.

+++ it may be a replacement for icon counters to mark control… but also for supply purposes.

Do you think maybe you can only capture enemy fuel? That maybe you will need to manage a supply line to keep ammo and fuel moving to the front? That you could hamper the opponent by hitting his ammo dumps? And that as Germany you will be very dependent on capturing the Allied fuel depots? That fuel depots may prove as important an objective as gaining the enemy cities?

++++ yes you should be able to capture fuel. I am positive of that fact. It will allow the Germans to gain more supply points in order to move.

I think Larry Harris watched the movie  “battle of the Bulge” with Robert shaw as Col. Hessler many times for inspiration. I will play this movie everytime i play this game!!!

I thought I was kinda curious about this game. I was thinking that will be neat to pick up when it comes out. Now I’m ready to buy a set today and want a rule book and want to know how it works. I so should have gone to GenCon. I will be patient and watch however. I will wait for IL to keep posting the cool info.

++++ i promise to keep vigil on anything that moves like a hawk. I cant even contain my excitement about this game.

• “Stay loose, stay loose.” And look at a compass and map not the road signs.

• yea they must have switched those signs…

Col. Kielly:  “was their anything funny about those men at the our river bridge?”

Charles Bronson: " hey what the heck!" Those engineers were MP’s! "

Col. Keilly in radio: “Attention: the our river bridge has not been blown…I repeat the our river bridge has not been blown!”

• Does the road to Ambleve still lead to Malmedy?

• I have one thing to say to all this battle of the bulge stuff.

NUTS!!!

• a new picture!!

you can see the truck and the new german plane

http://www.gamingreport.com/gallery/v/gencon/GenCon2006/Games/BGs/IMG_7537.JPG.html

keep clicking next and you got more pics.

• FYI, the stacks of tokens behind troops are supply. If you look close you will see the crates and oil barrels.

• Oh and now I see what you mean about the whiter thing. Yes, that does show the front. You move them to show what is controlled by whom. So everything on one side is allies other axis.

• Why didnt they just use control markers? it seems soo simple.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m