• 2007 AAR League

I gave up long ago on a strategy of massive SBR’s, but I still conduct them from time to time.  But I swear the dicey goddess really has it out for those bombers. My experience has been that they get shot down far more often than the odd’s would suggest.  Is this just me or has anyone else noticed this trend? :-(

• 2007 AAR League

yep, i only sbr, when i have my opponent on the ropes, or there is nothing else for my bomber to do(very rare), or new ipcs built with no aa

• Shrug, I say bomb all you can with the bombers that are given to you. Bombers are a great way to deal damage to your opponent even when you have no normal attacks that are feasible for you, or are too easy and don’t require the bombers. They’re certainly just about worthless as defensive units, so I don’t give that big a hoot when I lose one to SBR. I find that SBR generally pays off slightly, and it certainly helps a ton when you consistently destroy big IPCs off of Germany or Russia. I dont’ think it’s worth it to build more bombers, but to not SBR with your bombers when you have nothing else to do with them is a crime of sorts  :-P The tough thing about the game is that you have to go off the numbers and not just what the dice gods give you over a few games.

• 2007 AAR League

begin rant:  :x

I usually only sbr with my bombers when they’re not need in combat that turn. BUT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THE LITTLE BASTARDS GET SHOT DOWN & IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!

end rant.  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

I have stoped doing SBR on the PBEM-games, becuse i had some serious bad luck with them in a couple of my games……

Lost 3 Bmb in 1 round trying to bomb Russia into submission (agaisnt sankt) That costed a lot…

So no more SBR´s for me (if it´s a guarded IC)

• One reason not to SBR (in the early game) is when you have a really important attack coming. For example, I never risk my UK/US bmrs until the German fleet is in the bottom of the Atlantic/Baltic. Accordingly, I preserve my German bmr for the German navy suicide attack (while it’s an option)…

• I see everyone’s bombers get shot down more often than seems “fair.” It is likely right in line with the stats but it sure seems to be bent against it. I think it is just because you remember losing them more than you remember them getting through. Remember dice are fickle little daughters of Lady Luck.

The only sure thing about luck is it will change.

It helps me to think of the total destruction wreaked by my bombers. I try to keep aa running total of all hits it scores or IPCs “destroyed” anything over twelve IPC worth and I feel well less unokay when it gets shot down in SBR.

• @Nix:

I have stoped doing SBR on the PBEM-games, becuse i had some serious bad luck with them in a couple of my games……

Lost 3 Bmb in 1 round trying to bomb Russia into submission (agaisnt sankt) That costed a lot…

So no more SBR´s for me (if it´s a guarded IC)

You fail to mention that those bombers went on several bombing raids for 6-7 turns prior to being shot down and evaded my AAs in a big way.

I really dislike the bombing option as it puts too much power into the hands of luck. I hate lone trannies, AAs, SBRs(both ways), R1, G1 and slightly J1.

• I use SBRs only “at need”

And by that, I mean when there is a definite SHORT term goal to support.

When the Axis is really cranking up on Russia, has forces on her doorstep, and is trying to finish massing for the kill, THEN I use SBR’s to further weaken Russia for a couple of turns before the final push.

Or if I am in a Naval situation, and I can SBR the enemy so that they cannot afford to buy the naval unit(s) I am expecting and have to downgrade to cheaper units…

By far though, the vast majority of my SBR’s are as the Axis against Russia.  I may take a “freebie” against an unguiarded Japan IC if opportunity presents itself, and the BOM has no other use.  ANd on rare occasion I will do a round of Allied SBRs on Germany before a D-Day style landing.

As a LONG term strat…
    Just not viable without tech.  3.5 IPC per round on average is 17.5 IPC done in 5 rounds.  And only 5 for the average, beacuse every 6 rounds you lose the BOM.  That is only a 2.5 IPC shift over 6 turns.  Not much a payback for the risk.

• Just not viable without tech.  3.5 IPC per round on average is 17.5 IPC done in 5 rounds.

Actually, it’s less than 3.5 average per round because you have to factor in AA gun which negates the bombing roll; I think it’s 2.9 if you average that in. Since you lose 2.5 IPCs on average per round (15/6) then your net gain is something stupid like 0.4 IPCs per turn per bomber.

I don’t think bombing is a good long term strategy as in buying bombers to whittle down someone’s economy, but I think you should bomb as often as you can when you have nothing else important to do. Bombers may not have good returns, but the bombers you start with are free so any damage you get done is a bonus and isn’t negated by you having to buy it in the first place. Sure on the first turn every nation with bombers either has something important to do or isn’t in range to bomb with their bombers, but past that the bombers aren’t useable every round in normal combat so might as well do damage to the enemy. You can lose the bombers, but like wayne gretsky said every shot you don’t take is a miss.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m