• 2007 AAR League

The last several games I’ve played my friend has been able to completely shut japan down.

It’s Japans turn, russia has 6 inf in Bury, 2 inf 1 tank in Sink, 2 inf in yakut.  UK has taken Borneo & New Guinea (2 inf in each) has AC+fgt+tranny off Borneo, Des off Kwangtung (jap tranny was sunk), sub in the solomons (jap sub submerged after 1 round), 2 inf+1AA+1 IC in India, 1 inf in Persia, 1 inf each in Australia & NZ.  I can expect the US to build an IC in Sink, fly 2 fighters from Hawaii & W. US & Bomber from E. US to Soviet Far East plus the Russian inf from Yakut.  Russia will almost certainly counter-attack any incursion into china.

If you were Japan, what would you do?

• What would I do as Japan?

Expand like crazy, as usual.

Borneo’s a mistake IMHO.  It makes the Atlantic far safer for the Germans.

One variation you might try responding with:  Massed air attacks Pearl Harbor with sub and destr fodder.  Build three transports and a tank.  Park naval units east of Japan.

Now the UK can’t hit your battleship very well (they’ll take out some cheap transports, but lose valuable units), nor can the US hit you hard.

Another trick is to hit Buryalia hard first turn, wipe out everything there.  If you do that, you can’t do Pearl Harbor.  Tradeoff, though, is that the East will be wide open; the 2 USSR infantry at Yakut can’t do anything.

In general, Germany’s game should be far easier without the US pressing, and with Allied IPCs spent on industrial complexes.

• I’m guessing it is J1? Buy tansports, sink every bit of UK navy you can get guns on–-especially the transports. Go after the US fleet at Pearl. And get troops to the Mainland so you can make that US complex a Japanese complex! Flex against those infantry from USSR (that is all there are going to be) and get to that complex. Don’t forget to guard your tansports.

• Japan 1 strat when faced with above…

Buy:  3 TRN, 2 INF

1.  IGNORE Bury.  Leave that for J2
    2.  Hit China HARD… Manch and Kwang INF, AF from Japan
    3.  Hit India… FIC INF, Asian AF, 1 FIG from East Indies fleet.
    4.  Pearl… Carolines fleet, incl FIG, sub, Bomber
    5.  Borneo Fleet… East Indies Fleet and 1 FIG.

NCM: 
    TRN 2 INF to Manch (via SZ61)
    Move SZ60 BB to SZ61
    Land all possible AF in Manch

Place:
    3 TRN in SZ61 (You now have a fleet of 4 TRN and 1 BB there… suicide for small number of AF to try to attack)
    Once you destroy the Borneo fleet, UK is down to 3 naval units, all in different SZ’s.  US is down to their BB and TRN off Western.  UK has lost India, and Japan will hold China, which makes a US IC in Sinkiang a bit more risky.  US has 1 less FIG that can reach Asia, now only has Hawaii FIG that can reach Bury.

On J2, Amphib into Bury HARD (FIGs, support shot, AF) unless Russia pulls back.  If they do, take Bury with minimal forces, and drop the rest of your transportable units into Manch (for movement to China, then to attack Sinkiang) and to FIC to sustain your drive through India to Persia and to threaten Caucuses from the south.  Hunt down and kill remaining UK TRN in the Pacific, and any other units you can get (the TRNs are the risk, kill them and all you have to do is protect fleet, not territory).

You should ahve great success with that.  You may get “stalled” at Sinkiang for a few rounds if the US builds their IC, Russia supplies land units, and USA builds FIGs there.  BUT, the northern route should open up as Russia pulls back OR once you blast those initial 6 INF in Bury (and kill a USA FIG that got stranded there), and the southern route is wide open all the way to Africa and Caucuses.

Also, Germany should be rockin in Africa since UK did not re-take Egypt in UK1 and went for Borneo instead.

By the end of J3, Germany should hold 90% of Africa, Japan should be in Persia, India, China, Bury, SFE and Yak… UK fleet dead, and US bottled up on the West Coast.  Then over the next few turns bring Germany’s Africa forces to Persia to team up with Japan, flank the US IC via Kazakh and Novo, and kill it.  Re-take the islands you lost after the Allied Pacific units that are not along the North America coast are dead, as time and available units permits.  And grab Australia and New Zealand after that…

• Just pay attention to what your opponents are doing.  Japan has quite a few options, because they have three land routes with which to carve their way towards Moscow.

And that’s just LAND routes.  As far as sea combat goes, there’s always Pearl, Buryatia like paintbrush said, and I have tried and succeeded in taking Australia first turn.

Now, not ALL of these things will be available to you, of course.  Again, it’s all about seeing where the Allies have massed their units.  And if you’re worried about Russia counter-attacking at all, I don’t know about that.  In my opinion, Russia has too few resources to be on the offensive against both Germany AND Japan.

• 2007 AAR League

I tried a new strategy the past few games and it’s worked so well my friend has given up on his S. Pacific strategy and gone back to a british counter-attack in Egypt.

My strategy:
    Buy 3 Transports, 2 inf (thanks to switch for the suggestion)

Attack:
    China with 2 inf each FIC & Kwangtung
    Attack the fleet of Borneo
    Amphibious assault Borneo
    Pearl Harbor (1 sub, 1 Dest, 1 Fgt, 1 Bom-I really like this you don’t have to expose your captial ships to a counter-attack in SZ52)

On J2 I start pouring troops into Asia.

• 2007 AAR League

Russia can only be offensice to Japan on the first 2-3 turns… even on a KJF

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m