• THe other day my friends and I were playing, and the friend who was playing as the US went 99% against Japan.  He built a BB and two subs on the first round and kept building from there with destroyers and carriers and a few subs.  Since this was happening, the friend playing Japan had to start putting down sea units of his own.  Because he had to start defending the sea lanes near Japan, his production of ground units suffered immensely to the point where he couldn’t even build up a decent size stack on any prong.  Furthermore, both Russia and the UK kept decent forces down there, and just kept battering from the north and south, to the point where most of Japan’s ground units were destroyed.

My question is, as Germany, what do I do now?  I mean, my other ally is not getting enough ground units to pressure anyone, and I’m having to slowly build up forces while trading spaces with both the UK and Russia.  I managed (somehow) in the fifth or six round to take Moscow because the guy left 3 tanks there and an opening straight down the pipe, but the Russian was doing pretty good in terms of keeping me from doing much damage.  TO really show either how bad I play or the Allies’ ability to keep my hemmed in, Russia sent almost 8 tanks to drive Japan off the damn ASian continent, while managing to wipe out my 8 tanks-9 inf-4 art stack, leaving me with four tanks.  So, anybody got any suggestions if this ever happens, esp. with JApan getting kicked off the continent.

• so you captured moscow and are stressing? if usa is really spending all their dime in pacific then you should be able to continue rolling through asia while maintaining your defensive stacks in europe.  focus on the russian pieces since he can’t build and have your buddy hunker down on his island.  i think your friend over reacted to the usa build up

• Well, I captured Moscow but only had 3 tanks to hold it with.  Next round, Russia just collapsed it’s remaining EAstern Front forces back into Moscow and took it back and still had enough defensive men left to make sure i couldn’t just walk right back in.

But how can my friend have over-reacted if in the end USA attacked with 2 BBs, 3 destroyers, 5 subs, 2 ACs and 4 planes?

• i’m not saying he could ignore the fleet, but he should have SOME time before it gets there so his flow into asia might have been reduced but shouldn’t have been stopped.  japan has 2 BB, 2CV, DD, SS trannies and planes to start with, so steady sub buys and positioning of the fleet are factors, what were you and he buying? with the usa going 99% at japan europe should be secured fairly well by germany, as well as africa.

• Just remember defensive builds are far cheaper in navy than offense.

Japan starts with 6 FIGs, right?  and 2 AC’s.

Build 1 more AC, and base all 6 FIGs onm AC’s

That immediately gives you a defensive force of 36.
    Flesh out with at least 1 DST (to remove the sneak aspect of the enemy subs), and then subs of your own to serve as fodder and additional strike forces, plus your starting 2 BB’s…

In just 2 rounds you can have a fleet with a defensive score over 60… that is 10 hits a round against the US when they attack you.  It would take a LONG time for the US to build up THAT kind of force, move it to Japan, and then strike with it.

And as for Germany…
    Base FIGs in Western, build INF initially, then ARM and INF, and push toward Moscow.  Keep your forces massed and take and keep.

Sure, Japan may not be pushing hard, but you said Russia was keeping forces posted on Japan’s norders, which means some of their money is heading east.

With no US support in the Atlantic, it is a pretty easy matter to secure against what UK can send… and if you sent any forces to Africa initially, by G5 you should OWN all of it and be battling over Persia.  This will really hurt UK’s income, dropping them to mostly INF to fill their tranny’s, and little offesnive punch to attack Germany.

And just keep driving on Moscow.  You killed it once, you got bonus income, so build more tanks, keep moving your INF toward Moscow and take it again in 2 turns, this time for good.

• ah, the mysteries of the Industrial Complexes….

ask yourself, what is the sole purpose of a fleet?

• to protect and sink transports.

• 2007 AAR League

KJF isnt as deadly as KGF.

• @triforce:

to protect and sink transports.

excellent.

If Japan places a few Industrial Complexes on the Asian mainland, should it feel compelled to compete in a Pacific Naval buildup?

• 2007 AAR League

No, but it could be a good idea to build a couple of extra fighters and/or bombers, so that when the US navy comes, counter attack them with AF.

• I think alot of people get stuck trying to play this game the way history played out.  It might be good to keep a small fleet around to slow down any Pacific Island hopping but realy Japan is posisitioned so that it very rarely falls.  Thats the nice thing about an isolated island nation.

• that, tri is also what i feel is a fundemental flaw in the game.  there should be a viable KJF :x

• I would agree with you there, but the way it stands now its not realy an option unless everybody is doing the unothodox.

• There IS a “viable” KJF…

The only problem is that, in a KJF, the OTHER Axis nation gets to run free for a while, just like Japan gets to “run free” in a KGF.

The difference is that Germany unfettered is a HECK of a lot more serious threat than a Japan unfettered…

Disallowing for that, you can go after Japan actually MORE effectiely that you can Germany… it just requires at least 1 new IC.

• @ncscswitch:

There IS a “viable” KJF…

The only problem is that, in a KJF, the OTHER Axis nation gets to run free for a while, just like Japan gets to “run free” in a KGF.

The difference is that Germany unfettered is a HECK of a lot more serious threat than a Japan unfettered…

Disallowing for that, you can go after Japan actually MORE effectiely that you can Germany… it just requires at least 1 new IC.

Does that extra IC go into Alaska or China/Singkiang?  Cuz I’ve done Singkiang a couple times before.

• Variable… but actually INDIA.

Again, this is disallowing for the massive increase in German power.  But the UK is the nation that needs to be brought into the Asian theater of battle, and the best place to do that is India.

Russia sends land forces to counter against Japan’s moves via China and Bury; UK builds the IC then uses land and air, plus starting navy, to secure Southern Asia and clear the Indian Ocean.  And the US builds navy to move either against the islands, against Japan direct, or to aid Russia in the Bury/SFE area.

The risk of course is that, with Russia having a split focus, and with UK sending most of their money to India, and the US going full-bore into the Pacific, that Germany will become so powerful so fast, that London is itself quickly at risk, as is Moscow.

I answered the question on the THEORETICAL of whether or not there was a viable KJF, and there is.  The problem is that Japan is simply not as great a threat initially as Germany, so allowing Germany to be the Axis nation that runs free is deadly.

It would be like the Axis executing a KUSAF… it CAN be done, theoretically… but allowing the UK and USSR to run free for the time required makes it a problem… Russia being a superior threat due to position and economics when consdiering a KUSAF as Germany is a superior threat due to position and economics when contemplating a KJF.

• I’m glad to see a KJF is indeed possible.

I’m thinking of placing this strategy in a game someday, too.

(I will have to play a lot of games to try all of the strategies)

• against sub par axis play only (imho) switch we all agree that india is toast j3 i am glad you listed it as ‘theoretical’ but i still think a kjf along the lines of the kbf(take their cash not their capital) could be done from south africa and the pacific, but you still MUST be putting usa and uk forces in europe or the game will be over so it is a slower approach for sure

• 2007 AAR League

The best KJF that can be mustered from my mind is as follows (in short, the perfect details depends on opposition).

Russia, stacks 6 inf in Buryatia on R1, allso moves 2 Arm to Yakut. this is done to attack machuria R2.
    2 Inf from Novo to Sinkiang, to defend it.

UK build factory in India R1, attacks french indo china with 3 inf(india) and 1 fig sz35  (65% succes in wiping it and having atleast the fig remaining)
    DD SZ35 kills Japan Trn, UK trn sail to SZ49 to prevent Japan reinforments to reach french indo china J1.

USA builds factory in Sinkiang, and build fleet in pacific. (should still put a little cash on a trn or two to send to reinforce UK and make raids on germany.

Russia will in the begining have to face Germany quite alone, but when japan is pushed back of Asia continent and US navy appears they will be able to get reinforcements from india and Sinkiang (figs, arms, etc).

this is my thoughts on a usable KJF strat. (Russia will get more income then if you do KGF, and that will help holding germany at bay)

• 2007 AAR League

Additonal, US round 3 they can set up a factory in Alaska moving the entire fleet there (if you have bought some carriers for defense) and then buy 2 heavy naval pieces/turn, sitting next to japan…

This can only be done if Japan doesn´t have enought strength to wipe you if he attack, but normaly people tend to buy defensivly when purchasing navy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m