• On G1 can a fighter be placed on a newly purchased AC if the fighter has had combat & four moves and landed in W.Euro? Or can it only be placed on the AC if it has had combat & four moves and land in Germany? Or does it need one movement turn left, only used three to then be placed on the AC? Thanks for the help.

• I don’t have my rule book with me but I believe that it doesn’t matter the movement you had with your fighter or if it fought or not, you just need to have the fighter in a territory adjacent to the sea zone you deploy your AC in.

So I believe your fighter could fight, do a movement of 4, land in WE and then be placed on the newly bought carrier.

The only point I’m not 100% sure on is if your plane needs to be in Germany or if it can be in any adjacent territory. You should be able to find it in the rule book.

• I’m pretty sure it needs to be in a territory with an IC.

• If you’re going on box rules, then your fighter has to land in a territory with an IC in it. (this way gives the appearance that the fighter has moved 5 spaces total)

If you’re using LHTR, then your fighter has to land in the seazone adjacent to the complex so the carrier is built “under” it (easier to understand and doesn’t possibly give the appearance that a fighter has more move spaces than it does).

• So a G fighter can move 4 spaces & have combat on G1 land in either Norway, E Euro, W Euro or Germany and be placed on the AC once placed on the board. Tri, can you attach a QUOTE from the rules for this? Got a game this weekend and it will help avoid “real” combat if you know what I mean. Thanks again.

• No, just think of it as the fighter has to end up in the seazone where the carrier is being put.

Exception to normal fighter landing spaces
    rules: Your fighter may also end its move in a
    sea zone adjacent to an industrial complex you
    own if you have purchased an aircraft carrier
    that turn and will subsequently place that
    carrier in the seazone where your fighter ends
    its turn.

• @trihero:

If you’re going on box rules, then your fighter has to land in a territory with an IC in it. (this way gives the appearance that the fighter has moved 5 spaces total)

If you’re using LHTR, then your fighter has to land in the seazone adjacent to the complex so the carrier is built “under” it (easier to understand and doesn’t possibly give the appearance that a fighter has more move spaces than it does).

Actually, it gives 5 spaces of movement either way because suddenly you can ‘land’ in an illegal spot.  Your range has still been extended by one.

The idea that you are just transferring the fighter during the build seems as intuitive to me as ending movement in an illegal location; I don’t think the LHTR rule is an improvement on the box rule.

To me, it’s another instance of the arbitrariness of LHTR.

Peace

• Heh I really can’t understand why both you and donmoody keep using the word “arbitrary” like it has any meaning. Arbitrary means without reason, and I’m sure that the designer had some sort of reason to change the rules. Larry doesn’t like changing them very much, and for him to have done so in the first place means that he was receiving some sort of complaint or player feedback, which is more than a valid reason to tweak the game to be more understandable/accessible. Doing something for a reason, even if some people consider it “dumbing it down”, is not arbitrary. You can use the words “superfluous” or “irrelevant” or “unnecessary”, etc, but using “arbitrary” is just a wrong use of the English language. You can say the change did not improve the game or is not needed, but to say that there is no reason behind the change (arbitrary) is entirely a subjective and uninformed view of the matter. I would really like to know why both of you like to incorrectly use this term, it really bothers me. I can respect that you think the change wasn’t needed or that you liked the previous ruling, but to say something else entirely different, that it had no reason behind it, just makes no sense to me.

I can just as easily say that I think it’s more intuitive for fighters to land in seazones for carriers than it is for them to land in territories with complexes. To me, hey that’s where the carrier is going to be, so why not just have the fighter there already so you don’t forget to redeploy onto it? Why move units during the mobilization phase? It could very well be that you’re smarter and both are equally intuitive to you, but again, this does not make the change arbitrary (only to you perhaps). I’m sure Larry changed it based on player feedback, and since it is a game after all that requires changes and tweaks, that is hardly a reason to call it arbitrary.

Actually, it gives 5 spaces of movement either way because suddenly you can ‘land’ in an illegal spot.  Your range has still been extended by one.

By the way, more flawed reasoning. Extending a fighter’s range by one by allowing it to land in an illegal spot does not increase its range to 5. Prior to “illegal” landing, you could theoretically only move 3 spaces, since the 4th would be illegal. Thus, with “illegal” landing, you have increased the range to the full 4, not 5. You can never make it look like a fighter is moving 5 spaces under LHTR, while you can do so under box rules (deploying on a territory with a complex). And the space is nt really seem illegal because a carrier is going to be there, which is consistent with the other rules about fighter/carrier landing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m