• I get to be the Axis in my next game, and I’ve been mulling over a Japan strategy in my head.

It requires that I dedicate just under half my starting income (1 tranny + 2 inf) every turn against the US. It also requires a J1 IC build in mainland Asia.

Turn 1, I build the IC (probably in Kwantung), 1 tranny and 2 inf.

My combat moves should be to take China, and do my damnedest to destroy both the US and British Fleets. (assuming the Brits haven’t moved out) taking Hawaii, while difficult, is in the realm of possibility.

Now, it almost goes without saying that the other half of my income after turn 1 will be dedicated to tanks in mainland Asia to put the pressure on Russia and possibly take India.

EVERY turn, however, I will be building a tranny and 2 inf. These will be sent piecemeal towards the US. While it is entirely likely that I might lose some to aircraft or naval action, it will force the US to protect itself, rather than attempting to help Britain and Russia against Germany. While 2 inf are unlikely to hold anything for long, if I keep my transports spread out, utilize my fleet effectively, and keep a steady stream of transports heading for the US west coast, I can keep the US focused entirely on Japan.

I am certain I can kill Russia and Britain with just Germany, provided the Japanese can use those tanks effectively to stab Russia in the back. The question is, can this strategy keep the US from aiding in Europe, or will this be a big waste of money that will result in my utter defeat?

• The US has enough money during the first few rounds to be able to effectively keep Japan at bay while helping the UK take on Germany.  I’m not really sure whta to recommend, but I don’t think (or doubt) you could focus your attention on the UK, Russia and the US without losing big somewhere.

• US simply sets up Canadian Shuck-Shuck… builds forces in Western that then move to Western Canada, then to Eastern Canada for pick-up by trannies and move to Europe.

Takes a couple of rounds to set up, but then Japan faces a wall of 8-10 US forces in both Western US and Western Canada at ALL times.

• I can keep the US focused entirely on Japan.

Two infantry every turn is hardly enough to keep the US entirely focused on Japan. Switch’s idea of a Western path shuck-shuck works, but the way I do it is I maintain a 3x3 fleet of transports (instead of a 4x4 which doesn’t have much spare cash) which allows spare cash for fighters and whatever else I need, such as defense against these piecemeal attacks. A 3x3 is also easier to run when the German navy becomes strong with a carrier reinforcement in which case I need to build more fighters.

Ultimately your helps Russia more as they are facing less Japanese troops, and since beating Russia is the key to winning for Japan, I do not think this strategy is that efficient. It is however extremely annoying to play against, but more like a fly buzzing around your head rather than a real threat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m