• Founder TripleA Admin

Avalon Hill has published numerous scenarios for Axis & Allies minis. Has anybody tried any of these? How well did it work out?

Post your comments. Include a link to the scenario that you’re “reviewing.”

• I tried the one where the Japanese try to capture the humber car.  We ran into many questions.  The scenario calls for all spaces to be considered forest.  So, we considered the road hexes to be forested at the same time (units got to roll for cover).  The layout was very confusing.  They showed victory point locations on the map, but the victory points and the capturing of the humber car had no bearing on the determination of the winner.  The scenario also wasn’t clear on how to handle the revealing of the hidden japanese units.

I doesn’t feel like the scenario or even the A&A mini game itself was play tested very much.  I hope for set 3 they make a new starter pack with revised rules.

• I’ve been wanting to try them all… but don’t have enough of some of the pieces.

• Played the first three Guadalcanal scenarios… took about 2 hours for all three… and they were ecellent.  All went down to the last turn, emphasized tactics and special abilities of units.

Just didn’t have enough Arisaka rifles… so I used other units to “stand in.”  But one can live with that.

The scenarios are nicely crafted and a nice chance of pace from the usual games.  I recommend them to anyone who isn’t obsessed with making every game an exact recration of a historical event with 25 house rules and home-made map boards.

-The General

• Founder TripleA Admin

@Malachite:

I doesn’t feel like the scenario or even the A&A mini game itself was play tested very much.  I hope for set 3 they make a new starter pack with revised rules.

You’re probably right about the scenario not being play tested much. As for the game, I’m sure it was play tested a lot but with the wrong focus in mind. Play testing probably involved:

• Play testers that are more used to play testing board games like Axis & Allies.

• Play testing with the minimum age limit in mind. Keep it simple and “fun” for the kids.

I have heard that they didn’t expect the target market for this game to be older both in age and maturity (Some teenagers are just more mature and adult than others).

But it takes a while to fix things like this in a fast releasing collectible miniatures game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m