• The ability Headshot:  if 3 or more successes, put a face-up disrupted counter on that vehicle. This counter isn’t removed at the beginning of the next casulaty phase.

~ well what if the vehicle has a face up disrupted counter. then what?    Also if you don’t remove the face up till after the ‘next’ casulty phase and the vehicle you just hit doesn’t have any face down disrupts, but you manage with your next tank to disrupt the vehicle.  at the casulty phase you would flip the face down disrupt. what do you do since your already got 1 face up from the sniper?

• It’s really up to you as to how you keep track of it.  Since the vehicle in your example already has a face up disruption marker you really don’t have to have 2 on that vehicle, unless it helps you to remember that one is from a “Headshot” and will not be removed at the beginning of the next casualty phase (the end of the current turn).

Headshot:
    “…This counter isn’t removed at the beginning of the next casualty phase.”

[Headshot occurs in step D or E below]

Turn sequence:

D.  First player’s assault phase
    E.  Second player’s assault phase 
    F.  Casualty phase (both players)  [this is the beginning of the next casualty phase… in the same turn]

So, you begin the next turn.  If that same vehicle should receive any hits that cause disruption then you would want to put down a face-down disruption marker.  Because, after both Assault phases occur the casualty phase begins and all face-up disruption markers are removed (including the sniper one from the previous turn).  Now the one that is face down for that vehicle is flipped over.

I think I understand this rule correctly.  Hope that helps.  If not, I sure someone else will pop in with the correct ruling.

• I might be saying the exact same thing as DFlynSqrl but I’m not sure so I’ll give you me explanation.

Phase    Explanation
    C          First player assault phase
    D          Second player assault phase
    E          Casualty phase
    NEXT TURN
    H          First player assault phase
    I          Second player assault phase
    J          Casualty phase

So, if the sniper uses HeadShot on either phase C or D and succeeds, you place a face up disrupted counter which will not be removed in phase E, but in phase J.  If your vehicle gets attacked later in the same phase (C or D), then its defense is lowered by 1 and if the HeadShot was made during phase C, then your vehicle as -1 penalty to its attack in phase D.  If your vehicle receives 1 hit during the same phase it got HeadShot, then you place a face down disrupted counter.  After phase E, you manage the “HeadShot counter” the same way you would manage any other counter.  (Of course, if you end a casualty phase with 2 face up disrupted counters, you can remove the second one for it doesn’t change anything)

• OK THANKS

• TTTT

• the +1 bonus applies to every attack the sniper makes, so yes, it applies to the headshot ability.

• From what I gather on the Avalon Hill website, the face-up disrupted counter stays for the entirety of the game.Â

It is not removed at the beginning of the next casualty phase.

Use common sense.  Each turn is one minute of real time.  The sniper takes out the tank commander and whoever else had the misfortune of sticking his head up.  It wouldn’t be possible to get another crew to the tank to make it function.  So the tank stays disrupted for the duration of the game, no more than ten minutes of real time.

• at the beginning of the casualty phase, you remove every face-up disrupted counter, not only those of the current turn, so you should remove the face-up disrupted counter from the headshot at the next casualty phase.

• REALLY!?!?!?!?

that’s just bad!

the german sniper can than disable any tank with but a little luck (in fact, you don’t need luck since you statistically should succeed every time)

I know the tank is still able to fire, but it can’t move and always has the attack and defense penalties…. I’ll continue to play it the way I am, which is the disrupted counter IS removed at its second casualty phase.

• Well, it makes sense, doesn’t it?

Where did you get the replacements for the tank crew?  “Oh, look, there they are!  Walking up the road just in time to take over the tank!  Good thing you guys showed up, because a German Sniper just took out the commander and we have no one to drive this thing!”

There are some tanks that can keep moving while disrupted, by the way.  Like the Rhino.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Where on the Avalon Hill site did you see this? I don’t follow the logic that it is not removed.

From the special ability:
    “This counter isn’t removed at the beginning of the next casulaty phase.”

From the rulebook about Casualty Phase:
    “1. Remove current face-up Disrupted counters.”

You “headshot” in Attack Phase on turn 1. During turn 1 Casualty Phase do not remove the face up disrupted counter.

Turn 2, Casualty Phase, remove any face up disruption counter including the one received from heashot on Turn 1.

It’s fairly straightforward.

• Go under the FAQ… look at the rules for the 1933 T-26 Tank and not removing face up disrupted counters.

Honestly, I can see how it seems unfair that it would stay the whole game, but then again, if your tank commander or whomever gets wasted, how would you replace him?

although your explanation of the rules seems to justify removing it the following turn.
    I will write Avalon Hill and ask… and when they send me a response I will post it!

• I guess some other guy in the tank could drive…… even if his name isn’t on the seat.

But than who would fire…

I understand the logic in your comment, but I think it’s too strong for a 11 pts unit who already has the highest sniper attack stats.

• Well… If you have a 100 point army… You could still have several pieces of Allied Armor, so losing one tank to permanent disruption isn’t so bad.

• I asked WoTC and the ruling is that the disruption counter comes off on the casualty phase of the following round. It comes on as a face-up counter, so the logic of the wording apparently is intended to avoid taking it off at the end of the turn it comes into play.

• That’s the way I understood it too.  The disrupted counter is removed le next round.  Someone who decide to go for an IS-2 in a 100 pt army and get it disrupted for good would be pissed soo bad !

• @Lotus:

I asked WoTC and the ruling is that the disruption counter comes off on the casualty phase of the following round. It comes on as a face-up counter, so the logic of the wording apparently is intended to avoid taking it off at the end of the turn it comes into play.

Whew. That’s the way I interpretted the rules for it, but then as I read this thread I started to get worried that the german Sniper was horribly powerful (and that I’d been playing wrong). Thank’s for the clarification Lotus.

-=Grim=-

• Sure. No sweat. BTW, the German sniper still is horribly powerful…but it’s a good thing.  :-D

• If Wizards clarified it that way to you, then it is settled.  But check out this from the Avalon Hill Homepage re: not removing face up disrupted counters on the T-26 tank.  It can be found under the FAQ for miniatures.

T-26 Series 1933 says,
    “Unreliable — Face-up Disrupted counters aren’t removed from this unit at the beginning of the casualty phase.”

Q: When can you remove Disrupted counters from a T-26?
    A: Unless you control another unit with an ability that can remove Disrupted counters, you won’t be able to remove Disrupted counters from a disrupted T-26.

My question is… Why one and not the other?

• you explained it yourself.

Read carefully:

T-26 : Face-up Disrupted counters aren’t removed from this unit at the beginning of the casualty phase

Sniper : This counter isn’t removed at the beginning of the next casualty phase.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m