Caspian Sub: Now with half the dreck, twice the funk.

• :mrgreen: Caspian Sub is starting a new round of 10 articles.  The first is Policy Paper #11 and it is about Germany’s first turn.

Go get it there:
    http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Caspian_Sub/files/

Discuss it here.

Bon apetit.

• Been there, done that.

• I’m not surprised…that info was posted nearly three years ago LOL!! :mrgreen:

• How did it get the name Caspian Sub?

• probably because the Caspian sea is useless and its drying up. A sub patrolling such waters is foolish, so its like an oxymoron of sorts.

• @shermantank:

How did it get the name Caspian Sub?

This was mentioned in another thread.  Evidently, a group playing A&A got bored one day and one of them built a sub in the Caspian Sea.  Since there is no outlet, it was simply useless.  And the Caspian Sea in not in near as bad a shape as what used to be called the Aral Sea.  That has really shrunk because of water diversion for irrigation.

• Okay. I was curious because I was mystified by the name. Thanks for the enlightenment.

• Lame.  Does anybody feel like posting these articles on a site where you DONT have to sign up for a new email account?  That is pretty stupid, I really cant be bothered since I will just forget the damn username/password within a week, and just so I can go to a webpage?  Bleh.

• Actually Daggaz, the subscription system works remarkably well at keeping out people who criticize things before they understand them.

Such as yourself.

OH YES I DID!

:-D

• Wha??

Where in my reply does it say that I don’t understand something?  If you think I don’t understand the game, you are sorely mistaken and as well, have completely misunderstood the point of my post.

If you think I don’t understand how to create an email account…erm… you can just get bent.

At any rate, I know I am not alone with my original complaint, because I found a post on page fifty on these forums, by one of the mods here, where he posts quite a few of the caspian sub articles for precisely the reasons I complained about; simply that alot of people cannot be bothered to sign up for yet another email account just to look at a webpage, especially when they are required to surrender personal information to a third party in order to do so.

If you want to actually make yourself useful, then please by all means, post some caspian sub articles in this thread or a new one.  If you just want to sit back and try to act smug while flame-baiting and making a total a** of yourself, then get a life.

rolls eyes

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Daggaz,

As self declared secretary for C-Sub (as in, I’m the one who converts the files from text and doc and any other format known to man into PDF for them) I have almost all of their files (except ones written since August this year.)

Feel free to email me at isfcco@hotmail.com and I can send them too you. It may take more than one email to send though, due to size.

• Hey thanks a ton, Jen! =)  Now for my second request, if you could just move to Copenhagen?  Because there are simply zero hawt girls over here who play Axis and Allies (or DnD for that matter, noticed your sig). Also I remember you posted once that “There is NEVER enough beer” which is enough points to warrant an immediate marriage proposal, even over the internets!  8-)

Haha, no but I will definitely send you an email when I get home. And thanks again, Im definitely curious to see what’s been posted over there.

• Whoa! WHOA!

In no way am I acting smug; I am smug.

And my point was that you’re critical of things you don’t understand, which is still quite true.

Have a spiffy day!

@daggaz:

Hey thanks a ton, Jen! =)  Now for my second request, if you could just move to Copenhagen?  Because there are simply zero hawt girls over here who play Axis and Allies (or DnD for that matter, noticed your sig). Also I remember you posted once that “There is NEVER enough beer” which is enough points to warrant an immediate marriage proposal, even over the internets!  8-)

Haha, no but I will definitely send you an email when I get home. And thanks again, Im definitely curious to see what’s been posted over there.

See, I knew that it was fact that there is no such thing as “enough” beer!

• @Cmdr:

Daggaz,

As self declared secretary for C-Sub (as in, I’m the one who converts the files from text and doc and any other format known to man into PDF for them) I have almost all of their files (except ones written since August this year.)

Feel free to email me at isfcco@hotmail.com and I can send them too you. It may take more than one email to send though, due to size.

Great! Commander may I also send an email to you for receiving such papers?

Sure.

Just a thought, I don’t want to be seen as either supporting or denigrating the papers.  You get what I was given, use them at your own risk or benefit!

• Aknowledge!

I would like to read and study them!

Thanks Commander!

• @Mazer:

BTW - that was my 100th post!  How cool is that???

Now I can give out karma.  I just gave you +1 because you’re simply a peach.

Karma +1 for your 100th post!  :-D

• I actually have registered to it, just a really long long time ago, so of course I forgot my yahoo account stuff.

Mostly its just cuz its a pain in the arse to go thru all that junk even if it only takes a few minutes- which leads right to my other point.  Anybody can sign up, repeatedly, with fake accounts in no time at all and spam and flame and generally be a huge pain in the butt for the mods, so its not like its that huge of a help.  It certainly wont keep the “riffraff” out, only dissuade them somewhat.

Anyhow, like I said already, its just tedious and I will forget in no time anyhow as I dont use yahoo so I will forget that email account. And who wants yahoo tracking you around? (yeah ok use fake info but still.) And all just to get access to a few pdf files?

If it was my site, I would have the files freely available, and only require registering to post on the forum, to keep out spambot scripts.  Yould still have to actually mod the board tho, cuz spammers will always get thru, not to mention guys who jump in and flame posters for no good reason except their panties are in a knot, scaring new members off the board and that sorta thing.  Its highly annoying and beyond stupid, but thats the internet for ya.

• Hey thanks for the articles Jen, I appreciate the effort on your part.  =)

I suppose this is as good a thread as any to discuss them, so here’s my take.

Meh.  Most of them are either for beginners (like basic statistical breakdowns, or how Germany should turtle), or they are in the realm of “yeah this would work maybe once in my group, maybe. And I had better get the opponents a bit drunk first.”  (canadian shield and landbridge etc.) That or they were seriously shortsighted, looking at immediate IC/gain/loss effects of strategies rather than the big picture.  Typos and flat out obvious mistakes were numerous, it would help the authors to actually proof-read their own material.  The interjected comedy was humorous at times, but more often came off a bit forced, and really was just out of place most of the time.  I’m reading strategy, why is half the pdf about Mr. T?  I could really care less, I stopped reading halfway thru when I realized the attempt at explaining the benefits of tanks was going to really stink.  Boredom and the gag reflex trump banal curiousity every time.

There was one article that stood out above the rest, which was the one about the Un-Baltic.  This one really broke thru the box and gave the best possible solution I have yet seen for an otherwise tricky dillema for the Germans; I am definitely going to try this out the next few games.  I especially liked the progressive thinking as to forcing the UK into bad fights which usually in the game any player can choose to avoid without serious consequences, and also the effects of luck on small battles.  This is a really smart article.

That said, it amazes me that no less than three articles were published which focused solely on builds that absolutely cripple the Germans in not just the long run, but the short run as well.   And these articles are presented as a fundamental strategy. (??!) When I first came onto the canadian shield etc ideas, I thought, ok, thats an interesting threat/deterrent which could change the game.  It doesnt take too long to realize that the Russians will take FULL advantage, and that it requires minimal maneuvering from the other allies to negate this massive IPC and strategic investment.  Like I said, it would work once against somebody not paying too much attention to the board, so get them drunk first if you can.  Unbaltic should be the alpha and the omega as far as German naval builds go, in regards to CSUB articles.  Dont delete the others, but they should be side-shelved into “interesting gambits,” not mainstream strategy.

Finally, at the end of each article there is a small conclusion about the shortcomings therein.  90% of the time this was something like, “None! There are no shortcomings or missing ideas or mistakes. This idea is absolutely perfect!”

Wow. What an arrogant crock of siht.  It doesn’t take a leap of imagination to figure out what kind of people tag their own articles like this, or even who they are.  Big surprise there, really. /sarcasm

In conclusion, most of the articles are more or less a waste of time unless you are really new to the game and especially strategy games in general.  If so, by all means read them all and absorb what you can.  For advanced players, I wouldn’t bother too much with CSUB except for the UnBaltic move, which I will post here on another thread, as I am interested to hear some of this board’s veterans’ take on it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m