Independent Kingdom of Egypt?

• Has anyone ever come up with a house rule for Egypt as its own power?

Not that the game needs another power, but does anyone have any ideas for possibly including Egypt in Global? I mean, HBG does make an Egyptian roundel! Should it take its own turn, or become a part of the Commonwealth along with ANZAC, Canada, and South Africa?

Its relationship with the UK was complicated at the time. At the beginning of World War Two, Egypt was essentially a British puppet state, but had its own army, navy, and air force. While technically neutral until later in the war, The Brits based ships, planes, and men in Egypt. Eventually, the British army pressured the King of Egypt to abdicate, in favor of a political party that would support the Allies more.

All I’ve been able to work out is that Egypt would have three territories (Alexandria, Egypt, and Anglo-Egyptian Sudan), and its capital would be Cairo. It would be allied with the UK, and I suppose it would have a factory in Egypt. Though it would need appropriate NOs in order to really pump units out of there.

Probably not worth it for every game, but a fun thought experiment.

• From my understanding of Egypt, it was politically neutral but clearly a slave state of UK that never declared war and it’s leaders had no problem listening to British forces so making it its own state would be unique but not realistic.

• @Caesar:

From my understanding of Egypt, it was politically neutral but clearly a slave state of UK that never declared war and it’s leaders had no problem listening to British forces so making it its own state would be unique but not realistic.

Is anything in A&A realistic, like the Japanese Tank dash through Siberia, friendly fighters that land in your newly captured territory but your own fighters are not allowed, fast warships that use a year to cross the Atlantic (It took 10 days in the real world) and a true neutral Sweden that will declare war on you if you attack neutral Chile or neutral Angola but did nothing when its neutral neighbors Norway, Denmark, Finland, Holland and Belgium were attacked, 1 move infantry that can blitz through a territory if another unit attack from the other side and they call it a retreat, unlimited numbers of Tanks and Aircrafts that can stack in tiny places like Gibraltar and Malta and nobody ask questions about the lack of space, and so on and so on, and you question if it would be realistic if King Farouk 1, in an alternate timeline, joined the Axis ? The French joined the Axis, have you forgotten Vichy ?

• @JustLuthor:

Should it take its own turn, or become a part of the Commonwealth along with ANZAC, Canada, and South Africa?
    Its relationship with the UK was complicated at the time.

For general background information on what political (and to some extent military) status each Global 1940 map territory had during WWII, have a look at the map analysis document which I compiled and posted over here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36590.0

• @Caesar:

From my understanding of Egypt, it was politically neutral but clearly a slave state of UK that never declared war and it’s leaders had no problem listening to British forces so making it its own state would be unique but not realistic.

You are correct, though Iraq had a similar status at the time. Both were “independent” Kingdoms that were really ruled by Britain. Whereas Iraq actually fought the British in 1941, Egypt never got the chance to. A plot for Egypt to join the Axis, and overthrow the British was revealed, which lead to the British Army deposing the King of Egypt.

For this reason, I feel like Egypt has potential to play a unique role in the game. Maybe not as an independent power. Obviously not as a pro-Axis Neutral like Iraq, but something.

@CWO:

@JustLuthor:

Should it take its own turn, or become a part of the Commonwealth along with ANZAC, Canada, and South Africa?
    Its relationship with the UK was complicated at the time.

For general background information on what political (and to some extent military) status each Global 1940 map territory had during WWII, have a look at the map analysis document which I compiled and posted over here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36590.0

Thanks for that info. I’ll check it out!

• With Egypt, I know it’s navy got destroyed by German U-Boats but I don’t know if they were with British forces or fought on their own, as far as their air force and army, I can’t find any evidence of them even existing so I am assuming they were annex with UK forces.

• As far as I know Egypt was occupied by UK until 1952. The 1922 declaration was just a gimmick.

Egypt had an Army of 36 000 men in 1939, trained and controlled by UK. Very difficult to find pictures or anything. They say the Egyptian officers were against British rule, so the Egyptian Army could only be used in guard duty and police duty. When Benito declared war on France in June 1940, the British Army did arrest all Italian men that lived in Egypt, and this was a large number, several thousands, and confiscate their property, leaving their women in poverty. This did not boost the morale in a people that were pro-Italy. The Egyptian government would stay neutral during the war, except for the last week. Egypt had a population of 16 million in 1939, but the GDP pr head was only $ 0.7 so it was a poor country. In UK the GDP pr head was $ 6, being a rich country. I figure the poor Egyptian farmers and beduins were not eager to get killed and molested on behalf of the white mans cause.

• Right the 1922 declaration was just a gimmick, unless your from Egypt and doing the same thing as our Canadian friends who need independent Canadian Battleships and Elite Infantry and 50 IPC income.

Egypt independent would have 2-3 IPC and build what? Have their own turn?

Should the game have Andorra an independent country and have its own navy? Its own A bomb tech?

How far does this nonsense go?

• @Imperious:

Egypt independent would have 2-3 IPC and build what? Have their own turn?

Oh no no. 2 IPC would be far too much. We both have Mark Harrisons book about the Economic of WWII, and in that book Egypt is listet as one of the poorest among the 60 nations that is covered by this book. The total GDP of Egypt in 1938 was $ 10. Slightly stronger than Albania, Mongolia and Iraq, equal with Burma, but behind Norway and Siam at $ 12. And this is the bottom of the 60 nation list. It would make more sense to make Denmark, with GDP of $ 20, be the new playable power with nation specific sculpts and tokens and own turn with special rules. Denmark would easy outnumber the Egyptian Army of 36 000 men. Let Denmark be the real can opener of A&A. Denmark go after Germany and before USA and a special uprising rule make them revolt and clear the Danish strait to let the US Navy sail into seazone 113 just for fun. This would be far more realistic than letting Egypt have a minor factory and 3 IPC income, floating the Med with Battle ships and Bombers. Even China, with GDP of $ 320, the 4th strongest in the world, is not allowed to have even a tiny minor factory in this game (biased ?) so why should Egypt ?

• Yea Mark Harrison… My ww2 economic bible…

Egypt has its own turn and pumps out one infantry every 40 turns,

OK Denmark plays after Canada…

• Au contraire, Egypt should pump out one mummy unit every second turn, and right there I got the idea of using the new female zombie sculpts as an Egyptian Mummy unit, and for each mummy unit present in any North African territory, one matching unit, from any random nation, will be buried in a sandstorm. And that is final. Period.

• Ok yes. But the mummy unit is indestructible and operates like a berserker unit, randomly strangling any and all infantry based on a random die roll. Each turn it moves one space

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m