• Here’s an article about a boardgame cafe in Victoria, B.C., whose business is booming.  The article makes some interesting points about boardgames currently enjoying a renaissance of popularity despite – and arguably even because of – the online world.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/playing-to-win-why-a-victoria-board-game-cafe-is-booming-1.4079983

• Glad to hear it amd I can believe it too. We have a place in Hereford where gamers meet two or three tines a week . My wife and I would go, but can’t as we have young children. Maybe one day!
    We are lucky we can get other parents over to play us at our’s. ( There is always drink too.)

• '20 '19 '18

Board game cafes are starting to pop up here in Texas, too. As far as the online world contributing to the current resurgence of board games…I’ve been wondering about this very thing lately.

It seems to me that many people on this forum believe the length of time required to play A&A (G40 in particular) is the biggest obstacle to getting new players hooked on the game. We all know online gaming is extremely popular, and people can - and often do - play games such as Fortnite for hours on end. If someone is willing to invest 8 consecutive hours in an online game, what can we, as a community, do to convince them to give A&A a try?

• @The:

It seems to me that many people on this forum believe the length of time required to play A&A (G40 in particular) is the biggest obstacle to getting new players hooked on the game. We all know online gaming is extremely popular, and people can - and often do - play games such as Fortnite for hours on end. If someone is willing to invest 8 consecutive hours in an online game, what can we, as a community, do to convince them to give A&A a try?

One of the challenging aspects of a large-size, multi-piece, long-duration physical boardgame like Global 1940 is that it lacks the kind of “save game” function that a video game might have, which makes it difficult to adjourn a game and then resume it the following weekend.  This isn’t a problem if one has the luxury of having a dedicated gaming room, and of being able to secure it against tampering by inquisitive intruders (such as children and cats), but this isn’t a practical reality for the majority of gamers.

• I always wanted like a league nite once a week to war game. But with peoples schedules. But being on the more serious side as playing softball, volleyball, darts, pool and bowling leagues for some I dont see a war game league. Only way it would work is like a couples league in bowling were you would get 2 player teams and everybody would play a different team each week but only using a 2-3 hour game. But then some may want to play a different game every week.
    But I can see couples going out to play a game or 2 buds and grabbing something to eat and have a drink or 2.
    Now that would be cool.

I have a place in town here called Rockheads and it does have many boards games and there is like 2 nites a week some groups play and the rest are warhammer and such but they only offer a snack machine and soda.

Plus its so much easier for people to just go out when they can.

One of my bosses is always trying to get me to get some group players to come and war game at his bowling center with a restaurant and bar to play.

I know of a cribbage league in town also that has a waiting list to get in where you pay a league fee every week and every league nite of play the bar brings out a bunch of food and you can drink also.

It be awesome though if you went to a restaurant and they offered everything.
    The thought of going out some nite would be cool.
    Hey  were you going ? Oh were going out to war game grab some supper and have a few after dinner drinks at Applebees !

Now that would be Sweet !

• '20 '19 '18

@CWO:

One of the challenging aspects of a large-size, multi-piece, long-duration physical boardgame like Global 1940 is that it lacks the kind of “save game” function that a video game might have, which makes it difficult to adjourn a game and then resume it the following weekend.  This isn’t a problem if one has the luxury of having a dedicated gaming room, and of being able to secure it against tampering by inquisitive intruders (such as children and cats), but this isn’t a practical reality for the majority of gamers.

I question the dedication of anyone on this forum who doesn’t list “dedicated gaming room” at the top of their “must-haves” when house hunting.  :wink:

• I did Pripet. But my wife crossed it out! :-(

• Any gamer that want a dedicated gaming room need to stay singel and stay free. That is the only way. If you want company of women then goodbye boardgameroom and say hello to 5 kids, 2 cats, a big Husky, a Toyota family van and to spend the rest of your life at your day job to pay for all this. You dont argue with women, you will have to choose, either you do sports and games, or you commit 100 % to making a family. You can say goodbye to beer and fishing too, I know, been married 2 times.

• @Narvik:

Any gamer that want a dedicated gaming room need to stay singel and stay free. That is the only way. If you want company of women then goodbye boardgameroom and say hello to 5 kids, 2 cats, a big Husky, a Toyota family van and to spend the rest of your life at your day job to pay for all this. You dont argue with women, you will have to choose, either you do sports and games, or you commit 100 % to making a family. You can say goodbye to beer and fishing too, I know, been married 2 times.

Beer, fishing, and Axis and Allies all can be done while married. The key is moderation. I have trained my sons into Axis and Allies players. My wife has a three day kitchen table game law, game must be finished by three days. She wants her kitchen back.

• @ABWorsham:

Beer, fishing, and Axis and Allies all can be done while married. The key is moderation.

The other key is not to engage in all three of them simultaneously.  Beer is compatible with either fishing or A&A, but fishing and A&A are hard to handle at the same time, at least as far as the physical boardgame is concerned.  Online A&A might be workable as a joint activity, however.

• @CWO:

@ABWorsham:

Beer, fishing, and Axis and Allies all can be done while married. The key is moderation.

The other key is not to engage in all three of them simultaneously.  Beer is compatible with either fishing or A&A, but fishing and A&A are hard to handle at the same time, at least as far as the physical boardgame is concerned.  Online A&A might be workable as a joint activity, however.

Aaahh but you can setup an A&A game on a pontoon boat while you drink beer and soak minnows for walleyes.
    :-D :-D :-D :-D

• @SS:

Aaahh but you can setup an A&A game on a pontoon boat while you drink beer and soak minnows for walleyes.

Only in flat calm water, since otherwise the sculpts might tumble all over the map board.  Unless the whole thing is magnetized, of course.

• And the gas grill is going too.

• Picture of a boardgame back in the WWII area. Talk about dedicated gaming room, all over his basement floor, I guess this fellow dont mind his wife too much, man. He even dress in a military uniform when he plays, all to make it that more authentic.

40635757_2036576633030616_7549886910991171584_n.jpg

• '20 '19 '18

I admire his commitment to realism, but that custom G40 map is way too low to the ground. Just looking at it makes my knees and back hurt!

• Interesting, wonder why its not about 30 inches?  Perhaps it enables you to see the whole picture as to study whats going on and he uses a poker stick to indicate parts of it.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I never get any response to this, but a dedicated game group with a good secretary could meet, play for five, photograph the board, secretary comes home and creates a set-up sheet for next week’s game.  Voila.  Not only could you play “from that point on”, but you could replay a particularly tight game or pass it on for others to play in a sort of “what would you have done.”

In essence, you are creating your own '41 or '42 version.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

that was kind of random.  sorry, a momentary lapse of reason.  Niagara Falls, slowly I turned . . . .

• '21 '20 '18 '17

That is possible, but not very practical.  We do take pictures at the game break (sometimes 3 sessions to complete a game), but to reset the board at that point would take a ton of work–its difficult to capture the exact placement of units and chips from one perspective it takes 8-10 photos… and during the game, there are even more places that more stacks could go, so without a written guide there’d be alot of guesswork and making that written guide just to break down the game and reset it would take alot of work.

So much so, that it’d be easier to reset and start over or play a more basic setup/version or a shorter one like d-day and reserve G40 for long weekends and parties.

• | @crockett36:

that was kind of random.  sorry, a momentary lapse of reason.  Niagara Falls, slowly I turned . . . .

Step by Step, Inch by Inch . . . .

Blood ! Rivers of Blood !!! |

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m