• Oil Derricks are special facilities. One Oil Derrick is to be placed in each of the following territories at the start of the game:

Romania
    Norway
    Sumatra
    Borneo
    Java
    Iraq
    Persia
    Northwest Persia
    Caucasus
    Saudi Arabia
    Central United States (represents Texas)
    Mexico
    Venezuela

Oil Derricks cannot be removed during the game. When a territory with an Oil Derrick is captured, the Oil Derrick changes hands with it. For every Oil Derrick controlled, 1 unit other than infantry may add 1 movement point per turn. Oil Derricks may be both tactically and strategically bombed. Oil Derricks have their own built-in AA guns. Oil Derricks may not be built during the game. You need to be able to trace a path through any number of sea zones or territories from an oilfield to a unit that you want to move +1. Naval units can only move 1 if they cannot connect to an oilfield.

UK Europe, UK Pacific, and ANZAC may claim the benefits of an oilfield as long as Sumatra and Java are in Allied or Dutch hands. Also, as long as Persia and Northwest Persia are not in Axis hands, UK Europe can pay 1 IPC per turn to move its ships at the normal distance (as long as they can connect to those territories, of course), without controlling those territories.

• I dont belive we had oil here in Norway during WWII, I think we found it in 1965, at the bottom of the North Sea, and any way there would be no technology to get it up from the deep of 4 miles before the 1960s. As you know, the oil in the Middle East is just some feets under the sand, and is easy to get up, some places it even pops up by itself.

I love an oil rule. With no oil your battleships, aircrafts and tanks cant move. Lack of oil was the sole reason that the Italian battleships never left port during WWII. There should be some oil in Amerika too, since 60 % of all oil was produced there, like Venezuela and Mexico, and Texas. And you should add, that you need to track a path between your oil and units that are not blocked, if you want to move something other than inf

• There was refineries on Norway and the last major attack from allies was in 1945 against those refineries.

• I think that the countries that own the oil derricks should suffer more damage than just not moving 1 piece 1 extra space.
    You already get the 1 extra move from a base. You want more movement then also add tankers for navy.

I have in my game any oil derrick damaged goes against your income total. Like for the 3 Dutch islands, Romania and rest of non Mideast territories you can suffer 5 damage ea and lose that 5 icps towards your collect income. The rest of derricks suffer 3 icps at most. Cant have the 3 derricks I have in Russia with 4 Mideast Uk territories with
    Derricks suffering 5 dam each. If you capture a damaged oil derrick you have to pay the damage to collect the money for that territory.

The game should have some kind of fuel rules in them. It was needed.
    The games lack it.
    Like Narvik said. Another rule is if u dont control at least 1 oil derrick roll a D6 and then you dont get to move either planes or mobilize units or navy.
    1-2 no navy movements
    3-4 no plane movements
    5-6 no motorized movements
    To strong then have the enemy pick a 1 territory or 1 sea zone and you cant move units. Just inf.

• Not having any oil Derricks should be an air and or naval movement penalty. Having greater than one should be a movement advantage. perhaps you need 1 derrick for every 20 IPC, penalty accrues if you have less. If you have more, roll one die for each extra representing movement points that can be allocated to land units during non combat phase.

you roll total of 10 with 3 dice , during non combat you can “rail” one unit 10 spaces or 5 units–2 spaces more than regular movement. Derricks can be bombed by bombers ( subtract from roll the damage-damage automatically fixed for free at end of turn)

• Here is a picture of an Oil Refinery & Derrick.  We simplified the rules:  Once a derrick is built the IPC value of said territory goes +1.  Once a Refinery is built with Derrick then goes up +1 again.  Derrick must be placed place one full turn before refinery can be built.  Can be bombed and removed or taken over by enemy.  We play scorched earth as well, so if you want to burn before its captured you can.

710x528_18829284_11027583_1494959962.jpg
    DSC_0618.JPG

• The red-and-white paint job on the refinery chimneys is a very nice touch; even without looking at the adjoining elements of the sculpt, someone can tell right away that this is some sort of industrial facility.  Great looking derrick too.

• @Combat:

Here is a picture of an Oil Refinery & Derrick.  We simplified the rules:  Once a derrick is built the IPC value of said territory goes +1.  Once a Refinery is built with Derrick then goes up +1 again.  Derrick must be placed place one full turn before refinery can be built.  Can be bombed and removed or taken over by enemy.  We play scorched earth as well, so if you want to burn before its captured you can.

I like the simplicity of these rules.  Not to hijack the thread but how many IPC’s to build a derrick or refinery?  Are they limited to specific territories?  I guess bombing is similar to a facility?

***Edited because I answered my own question.  https://combatminiatures.org/collections/structures/products/oil-refinery

• @carsonbparker:

@Combat:

Here is a picture of an Oil Refinery & Derrick.  We simplified the rules:  Once a derrick is built the IPC value of said territory goes +1.  Once a Refinery is built with Derrick then goes up +1 again.  Derrick must be placed place one full turn before refinery can be built.  Can be bombed and removed or taken over by enemy.  We play scorched earth as well, so if you want to burn before its captured you can.

I like the simplicity of these rules.  Not to hijack the thread but how many IPC’s to build a derrick or refinery?  Are they limited to specific territories?  I guess bombing is similar to a facility?

***Edited because I answered my own question.  https://combatminiatures.org/collections/structures/products/oil-refinery

Yep. And just tweak as u play games. Make it stronger or so but make sure u find the balance.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I do like the idea of trying to include oil in the game, and having oil boost movement seems like a good contribution to the discussion – I haven’t heard that one before.

I think at the Global 1940 scale, it makes little sense to think about oil production without also thinking about oil reserves. Japan didn’t literally have zero oil available before it conquered Borneo – but it had a small and dwindling supply that threatened to run out after the equivalent of about Round 2 or Round 3 of the game.

With that in mind, here’s how I would set up oil derricks:

STARTING OIL RESERVES

Each country starts with a certain number of oil tokens – you can use small black poker chips or whatever else is handy.
    America – 15
    Russia – 10
    Germany – 10
    UK Europe – 10
    UK Pacific – 5
    ANZAC – 5
    France – 5
    Italy – 5
    Japan – 5

OIL DERRICKS

Each oil derrick generates 2 oil tokens per turn as part of your collect income phase, but only if it has fewer than 3 industrial damage. Oil derricks are considered facilities and may be bombed by tactical and/or strategic bombers. Their maximum damage is 6. Damage can be repaired for 1 IPC per damage as normal.

SPENDING OIL TOKENS

Each turn, at the start of your turn, you must decide whether to allocate an oil token to your army, navy, and/or air force. Each branch of the military you want to fuel costs 1 oil token. For example, fueling your navy and your air force would cost 2 oil tokens.

If you do not fuel a branch of your military, then all units in that branch (except infantry, artillery, cruisers, and AAA guns) are -1 on all combat rolls and -1 on all types of movement, to a minimum of 1. For example, if you do not fuel your army, then your mechanized infantry will fight at 1 on both offense and defense, and can only move 1 space per turn. Your tanks would fight at 2 on both offense and defense, and can only move 1 space per turn. Alternatively, if you do not fuel your navy, then your destroyers would fight at 1 on both offense and defense and move 1 space per turn, plus 1 more space if they start their turn at a functioning naval base. Failing to fuel your army does not affect your navy or air force, and failing to fuel your navy does not affect your army or air force, and failing to fuel your air force does not affect your navy or army. All of these penalties apply until the start of your next turn.

In addition, if you wish, you may spend 2 oil tokens to move one additional unit of any type up to one extra space during your non-combat move only. You may repeat this process as often as you like as long as you have the oil available, but you may not use oil to boost the exact same unit twice in the same turn.

• Good idea that Ive used before but you should not be penalized on attack and defend for pieces. Oil penalty should just be for movement -1 only.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The penalties on defense I could see going either way.

The penalties on offense are key to keeping the theme going, though – if you don’t have enough fuel to get your tanks to the front lines, then you won’t have enough fuel for offensive maneuvers, either! Most of why a jeep is effective in combat is that it can move quickly, concentrate a large force into a small pocket of time and space, and hit you hard where you least expect it. If your jeep or tank, or plane) is instead a stationary target, then it probably fights less well than a squad of foot soldiers with boots and rifles – the foot soldiers are more mobile than a tank that’s out of gas, even on a tactical level.

• Ya depends. If you really wanted to get technical as far as getting supplys up to front lines and to ships. But I think most people would want to stick with more kiss ideas. Not that theres nothing wrong with your ideas. Think thats best for more of a Barabossa or D Day game. More of a  smaller scale games. But Those ideas I want to put in the D Day game maybe with trucks and even jeeps.

• will have these available soon.  Package of 6 Each.  Customize your board.

oil field1.jpg
    oil field4.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m