• This might have been covered but I didn’t see it, and this might be in the wrong place but wasn’t sure where else to post it.

Starting to play more and I was wondering do all the box sets have the game pieces in the same scale? It does look like some boxes have different sculpts for the pieces but are about the same size.

The reason I’m asking is I have the Original game and we run out of pieces when playing it so thinking after we buy the two 1940 boxes maybe I could use those original pieces for extras. Guess the colors might be off but that isn’t a issue because I plan on painting them all anyway. I played 15mm WWII games for years so breaking out the paints might be lots of fun.

• @Warhawk77:

Starting to play more and I was wondering do all the box sets have the game pieces in the same scale?

The short answer is “mostly yes”.  The longer answer is a bit more complicated.  From game to game, A&A sculpts have generally been on the same scale when you compare units belonging to the same unit class; in other words, specific sculpt X will generally be the same size no matter which game it comes from.  Within each class, however, scales can vary; for instance, the Yamato and Iowa battleship sculpts are roughly the same size, even though in reality Yamato was much bigger than Iowa.  There’s even more variation between unit classes, the most extreme case being the scale of the infantry sculpts and the scale of the battleship / carrier sculpts.

There have also been some cases of scale changes for specific units.  The British and German battleship sculpts became larger and more detailed when many of the sculpts were “refreshed” at one point.  The German 88mm sculpt went from being small (and mis-representing field artillery) to being large (and correctly representing an AAA gun), and the same thing happened to the Stuka (which originally mis-represented a fighter rather than a dive bomber).  And note that the ANZAC infantry sculpt is somewhat notorious for being rather large compared with other infantry units.

• By the way, these two threads – one from knp7765 and one from me – can provide you with potentially useful additional information.  The charts in my thread can be expanded in size for easier viewing by clicking on them.

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23386.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31982.0

• @CWO:

@Warhawk77:

Starting to play more and I was wondering do all the box sets have the game pieces in the same scale?

The short answer is “mostly yes”.� The longer answer is a bit more complicated.� From game to game, A&A sculpts have generally been on the same scale when you compare units belonging to the same unit class; in other words, specific sculpt X will generally be the same size no matter which game it comes from.� Within each class, however, scales can vary; for instance, the Yamato and Iowa battleship sculpts are roughly the same size, even though in reality Yamato was much bigger than Iowa.� There’s even more variation between unit classes, the most extreme case being the scale of the infantry sculpts and the scale of the battleship / carrier sculpts.�

There have also been some cases of scale changes for specific units.� The British and German battleship sculpts became larger and more detailed when many of the sculpts were “refreshed” at one point.� The German 88mm sculpt went from being small (and mis-representing field artillery) to being large (and correctly representing an AAA gun), and the same thing happened to the Stuka (which originally mis-represented a fighter rather than a dive bomber).� And note that the ANZAC infantry sculpt is somewhat notorious for being rather large compared with other infantry units.

Reading the reply I see I should have asked the question better. I should not have used the term scale as the pieces are different scales compared to each others but you fully understood what I was trying to say so thank you.

I will point out I had never thought about the different types of planes and guns that the sculpts are until you pointed it out so now I will have to go thru my games and compare them all.  :-D I know I’m helpless and get sidetracked very easy maybe a little ADD on my part, but what else would I do tomorrow?

Thanks Again

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m