• Hi there,
    When playing Europe only what is the best approach to Barbarossa?

I mean no matter what you do the US will never have to split between Japan or Europe and will always put his full economy toward landing in Normandy, Southern France or even Italy on turn 5!

No matter how i look at it i can’t figure out a plausible way to acheive it.
    Does it have to be on turn 2-3? Or even on turn 1 like Sireblood and his famous “cobra-kai”?

If you can’t take Moscow and Leningrad you cannot win! There is no way Germany could possibly invade Washington or Ottawa right?

• '20 '19 '18

I prefer a G2 Barbarossa. From G1 until Moscow falls (G5-7), I have three primary purchases:

1. Armor - Allows for rapid movement from Germany to the front, and from captured ICs to Moscow.
    2. Mech Infantry - Same as above. 1 Armor + 1 Mech Inf = 1 Inf + 1 Art, in terms of attack power, but moves twice as fast.
    3. Strategic Bombers - Use for SBR on London, Leningrad, Volgograd and Moscow. Force UK and USSR to spend as much as possible on repairs, instead of new units. Bombers based in France also project force into the Atlantic, forcing US to spend more on warships and thus delaying the inevitable invasion.

On the defensive side, I like to keep token forces in Normandy and Southern France, while slowly building forces in France and Western Germany for counterattacks. If there aren’t many Allied destroyers about, I buy 2-3 U-boats and place them off Normandy to further slow the Americans. And if the Italians can take Gibraltar and place significant forces there, so much the better.

As for taking Washington or Ottawa…I’ve done a Sea Lion feint and taken Quebec instead. It’s fairly easy to get a landing force to Canada, but a semi-competent American player will just push it right back into the sea. Likewise, the Americans would have to make a mistake of epic proportions for you to take Washington.

Good luck!

• Sounds like something i could try!
    I always use to destroy UK fleets in SZ110 & SZ111 on turn 1 and then SBR the crap out of UK on subsequent turns but i never taught about SBR Soviet union.

I will give it a shot!

P.S. Would you go “all out” for Moscow by the south, taking all the juicy “2 IPC” territories along the way, and keep Leningrad for last? Do you consider a Minor Insdustrial Complex in Romania on turn 1 a bad investment? You can put 3 armor/ mech closer to the front!
    I for myself like to do that a lot!

• '20 '19 '18

Destroying the UK Home Fleet on G1 is sound strategy. Once accomplished, maintaining even a small Luftwaffe presence in Western Germany/France forces the UK to buy warships before they can buy transports and invade the mainland. If you’re bombing London every turn, the UK shouldn’t have a sufficient invasion force assembled before the Americans arrive on the scene.

When I invade the USSR, Phase One is a two-pronged attack, aimed directly at Leningrad and Ukraine. If you take those ICs, there’s no need to build one in Romania. Up until the turn in which I capture those two territories, I SBR them.

At that point, Phase Two kicks in: I shift the bombing to Moscow and Volgograd and advance on those territories. If the opportunity presents itself, you can ignore Volgograd and drive straight for Moscow, but I usually find the additional IC in Stalingrad really comes in handy. And yes, taking the more valuable southern Soviet territories should have higher priority than, say, Vologda or Smolensk. Caucasus is the northern gateway to the Middle East. Never forget that, while Iraq, Persia and NW Persia are worth 4 IPCs to the Allies, they’re worth 10 to the Axis.

Don’t forget to park a U-boat in sz 125 to deny the Soviets those 5 IPCs. Also, once Leningrad is yours, it should be fairly easy to send a small force blitzing through the northern territories to Novosibirsk and cut off that 9 IPC per turn flow.

• '17

@Soviet:

Hi there,
    When playing Europe only what is the best approach to Barbarossa?

I mean no matter what you do the US will never have to split between Japan or Europe and will always put his full economy toward landing in Normandy, Southern France or even Italy on turn 5!

No matter how i look at it i can’t figure out a plausible way to acheive it.
    Does it have to be on turn 2-3? Or even on turn 1 like Sireblood and his famous “cobra-kai”?

If you can’t take Moscow and Leningrad you cannot win! There is no way Germany could possibly invade Washington or Ottawa right?

You say “if you can’t take Moscow or Leningrad you cannot win!” Of course. So let’s focus on getting Leningrad first.

A tried and true plan for me is:  G1 purchase 2 infantry / 6 artillery (or 1 sub / 6 artillery). The purpose of the sub is to deny Russia 5 IPCs on the turn you DOW. G1 do normal stuff but don’t attack DOW on Russia. Use your Baltic transport to transport the 2 infantry from Denmark to Poland. Don’t send 1 mech into Paris. Send that mech along with all 3 tanks in eastern Europe and your troops from Berlin to Poland. You have enough troops and 2 planes that can hit Yugo without having to send the eastern front tanks.

G2:  March into Baltic States. Russia won’t have enough stuff to attack (albeit with normal dice outcomes). Purchas all mech and tanks:  ration of 1:1

G3:  March into Leningrad. Purchase all tanks and mechs:  ratio of 1:1. Now you’ll have enough ground forces to stack everything in Belarus and force Russia to move back.

• No one is mentioning what Italy is doing.Sending as many mech and tanks east to can-open ahead of German forces is popular.
    Its good to battle the brits all over the med.Its more rewarding for Italys  income level.My mistake is trying to do both,and not succeeding at either before the American wave arrives in SZ 91.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m