• '19 '17 '16

I’m sure this probably violates some posting rule or other, but here goes anyway:

Are there any whisky lovers out there? If so, what’s your favourite poison? Scotch? Irish? Bourbon? Canadian? Japanese?

Do you have a favourite brand? Can anyone recommend a favourite distillery tour from the Highlands? Lowlands? Bourbon Trail?

Fellow whisky-lovers would no doubt love to hear your stories. Doesn’t matter if you’re just getting into it, or are a confessed snob, let the love of whisky lubricate the conversation.

• '19 '17 '16

Now for some shameless self-promotion:

I’m one of 300 private investors who made the new Victoria Caledonian Distillery happen on Vancouver Island. We’ve been open for less than two years so our first creations won’t be ready until 2019 but we also offer compass box whiskies as well as craft beer.  If you’re ever on Vancouver Island stop in for a tour and a wee dram.  You can learn more here:

https://globalnews.ca/video/4037350/b-c-producers-turning-out-single-malt-whisky

https://victoriacaledonian.com/caledonian-whisky/

• '21 '18 '16

Bourbon or sour mash (Jack Daniels) when on a budget
    18 yr old Scotch when i have money

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Bourbon preferably.  Not much of a scotch fan, although I can appreciate it (Oban anyone?).  Whiskey, real whisky that is not bourbon that is masquerading as whisky, I find is too harsh.

Anyhow, I used to like Markers Mark, but now find it too sweet.  Bullet Rye is now our standard fare.  I admit that’s pretty mainstream stuff, and in the past we used to be into some of the more highbrow brands. But Bullet has proved to be a good price/taste convergence.

Although, I have to admit, as age has crept up on me, I’ve found myself drinking less and less of the Brown and more of the Red.

• '19 '17 '16

@Karl7:

Bourbon preferably.  Not much of a scotch fan, although I can appreciate it (Oban anyone?).  Whiskey, real whisky that is not bourbon that is masquerading as whisky, I find is too harsh.

Anyhow, I used to like Markers Mark, but now find it too sweet.  Bullet Rye is now our standard fare.  I admit that’s pretty mainstream stuff, and in the past we used to be into some of the more highbrow brands. But Bullet has proved to be a good price/taste convergence.

Although, I have to admit, as age has crept up on me, I’ve found myself drinking less and less of the Brown and more of the Red.

Nothing wrong with Bulleit, though I’ve never tried their rye, only their bourbon. Have to give their rye a day in court one of these days.

Oban is one of my all-time favourites.

Makers Mark:  awesome distillery tour, and I love that they spell “whisky” properly.  :-D

• '19 '17 '16

• I have always liked Malt whisky, but drink it rarely now. I would rather drink a good grappa.

• Customizer

Even my Scotch friend Gavin hates the stuff. Could never keep it down myself.

• '20 '19 '18

My top three, in alphabetical order:

Basil Hayden’s
    Bushmills
    Wyoming Whiskey

Anyone ever try Idaho Gold?

uuuf!

• Sponsor

I don’t drink alcohol anymore due to the fact that I was so good at it (15 years dry now)… when I did drink whisky straight it would be a Canadian Rye Whisky like Crown Royal or Gibson’s finest, but there have been sooo many new Rye, Burbon, Whiskey labels since I last slept in a ditch.

• @Young:

I don’t drink alcohol anymore due to the fact that I was so good at it (15 years dry now)… when I did drink whisky straight it would be a Canadian Rye Whisky like Crown Royal or Gibson’s finest, but there have been sooo many new Rye, Burbon, Whiskey labels since I last slept in a ditch.

Congratulations on your sobriety. I don’t drink much, so I don’t have an opinion on that.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Young:

Sweet. 26 dry years for me. Had to quit. First one at party. Last one to leave looking for another party.  When I did I would have shots of Jack Daniels. Besides I had to stop in order to see my son. Best thing ever happen. Probably be dead by now.
    No offense StuckTojo.

Used to drink a lot of the hard booze, GnT, whiskey etc… but now, we have a full liquor cabinet and it sits neglected, gathering dust…

I’m not even sure if I could get close to a GnT these days or any vodka drink.  That stuff would probably put me to sleep in like 5 minutes.  Or make me sick.

Beer is basically all I like now.  Maybe some red wine if a bottle is open. Konigs Pilsner is the best!

But even the beer I have to avoid some lest I keep increasing in width.  But I do carve out an exception for A&A matches.  Then the beer can flow!

• '17 '16 '15

buddy helped a friend with her parents estate sale. Asked him if he wanted anything. There were a couple cool decanters. One a snow machine, the other a moose with it’s head broken off.

Turned out to be 12 year Evan Williams from some time in the 60s. Stuff must’ve been close to 60 years old. Cork was disintegrating. Looked like apple juice. He just wanted the bottles but we tried it anyway. Warm and smooth. Made you all giggly.

After that I’d go visit everyday for breakfast. We’d limit ourselves to one, sipping not slamming, but it still was a great way to start your day.

• @wittmann:

I have always liked Malt whisky, but drink it rarely now. I would rather drink a good grappa.

Grappa?? You killing me :lol: :lol:

The last time i had a Grappa was,…i felt a burning Sensation in my throat, in my stomach…black out.

11yrs sober now.
    They called me Beerfest Tyson. When i was lit, the tent burnt!!
    Started with 16 since alcohol is allowed in Germany with 16 especially in Bavaria where we have this rule: three beers equals a steak.

Sorry i can’t help Stuck Tojo.

You should try Ouzo one day,  a greek speciality.

Bah mungus…

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Grappa is definitely an acquired taste, I’d rather have Sambuca.

When going out I usually have Jameson, Bushmill’s or Dewar’s on the rocks or go with a Jack and coke.

On the rare opportunity I’m enjoying a cigar I drink Macallan.

Yeah, grappa is tricky.  I’ve had it, and didn’t like it.  Some people love it.  Although I’m willing to admit maybe I’ve never had the good stuff.

But honestly, often the “top shelf” stuff in all liquor categories tends not to deliver on the hype.  I remember someone giving me like $100+ a bottle tequila and hated it.  It was smokey like scotch.  I though tequila was supposed to get smoother and sweeter with quality.  And forget it in the vodka category.  The difference between top shelf and bottom self vodka is nil, in my book.  Maybe more smoothness, but then you’re still drinking vodka.

Although, I had a buddy who once worked at a country club, and he swindled some bottles of booze from storage.  They were White Label brand.  I kid you not.  They were awful, truly undrinkable unless you watered them down and larded them up with mixers. So I guess there is a loss of quality on the down end.

• '20

@General:

Grappa is definitely an acquired taste, I’d rather have Sambuca.

When going out I usually have Jameson, Bushmill’s or Dewar’s on the rocks or go with a Jack and coke.

On the rare opportunity I’m enjoying a cigar I drink Macallan.

Bushmills for the win(although I side with the (south) Irish on everything else). The infrequent times I drink, I rarely buy anything else.

• '19 '17 '16

@SS:

@Young:

Sweet. 26 dry years for me. Had to quit. First one at party. Last one to leave looking for another party.  When I did I would have shots of Jack Daniels. Besides I had to stop in order to see my son. Best thing ever happen. Probably be dead by now.
    No offense StuckTojo.

No offence taken, SS.

Congrats to you and YG for having the humility to recognize you needed to take action, and having the will power to follow through with it.  That’s the hallmark of a real man, in my view.

I had my share of “issues” in my younger days, too. Don’t drink whisky to get drunk anymore.  Any more than three in an evening is a waste, because you’re no longer capable of appreciating the flavours, smells, and so on.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m