• Hey Together,

I am normally a G40 player and played just some rounds of anniversary here and there.
    Now with the reprint, I got a version of it for my own.
    And while skipping though my rulebook, I got some questions about Straits:
    -What’s up with Gibraltar? I fail to find anything that would just allow ships (excluded subs) of the site owning Gibraltar to move from SZ 12 to 13 - as well in the rules as in the Q&A - isnt there such a rule? At least in our Anniversary games we played like there is one…
    -Denmark Strait: As it seems, there are no rules regarding passing the Denmark strait, so everyone is allowed to to that, is that correct?
    -Turkey Strait: I found an optional rule in the Q&A to close this strait - I think that would be reasonable, how do you handle this?

Thank you for your help in advance!

PS: Sry if the questions sound stupid, I fail to find anything with that Google custom search… ^^

• In the absence of a rule, then there is no rule.

Don’t interpret / impose rules from another rules set to be in a different A&A game. 
    You most certainly can do so for your own house rules, if you’d like.

The only canal/straight rules in AA50 are:
    Panama, Suez, and optional closing of the black sea (Dardenelles)

• The “option” to close the Dardanelles (aka The Turkish Straights) should NEVER be an “option”… I don’t care what the rules say… they should ALWAYS be closed… if you’re going to exploit the Dardanelles to land Italian troops in the Caucus, you might as well give Italy atomic bombs and say there’s a canal running from the Med through Italy and Germany and on into the Baltic Sea… it’s that stupid a concept to say the Turkish straights are open with a neutral Turkey who NEVER let any belligerents through the straights in the war, period (and i’m blaming WotC for this, not players, it should just be written into the rules as always closed, no reason to be an option at all).

While A&A is not a hardcore super-realistic war simulator, fanciful thoughts like sailing warships through straights that were completely shut down for the entire war vs simply acknowledging “ya, they’re off-limits, just like in real history” is something easily represented in A&A without having to stretch the imagination. The only way to say the Dardanelles are open imho would be to play it as a bid for the Axis to handicap the Alliance player if such a situation was needed, because playing with the blatantly historically inaccurate open straights is a big handicap against the Allies.

• One of the items in our house rules for AA50 (The Chicago Rules) is:

3)  Restricted Dardenelles straight:  Bulgaria is the only territory accessible via transport(s) in sz16

So the Sea zone is still open to ships, but only land accessible to Bulgaria.  Doesn’t remove the sea zone from play, but eliminates the Med drops into Caucasus and/or Ukraine

• @axis_roll:

One of the items in our house rules for AA50 (The Chicago Rules) is:

3)  Restricted Dardenelles straight:  Bulgaria is the only territory accessible via transport(s) in sz16

So the Sea zone is still open to ships, but only land accessible to Bulgaria.  Doesn’t remove the sea zone from play, but eliminates the Med drops into Caucasus and/or Ukraine

This is exactly as it should be…  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m