• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Hey all!

Just wanting to start more conversations really. Curious, what do any of you do as a standard USA strategy? Or do you have one?

Up to this point, I wouldn’t necessarily say I’ve had a USA strategy “written in stone”. Given the 1936 start date, I feel there’s a lot that happens before the USA gets into it, so a lot of what needs to be done is reactionary based game to game. If Argentina has been Axis activated, Spain becomes Comintern or Axis, how China is doing, etc.

Because of all the different factors, do you play each game “by ear”, or do you still go in with a firm plan as the USA no matter the circumstances when they enter the war?

• We play the 1939 setup:

Lend leasing is a major part of our US strategy. Both UK, Free French, KMT (and even neutrals like Iran) often gets a Lend Lease unit every turn. It’s incredible how much effect a few offensive units here and there can have…

Other things I personally like:

• Can use US to produce CA for UK in the Atlantic if needed. Have some CA’s ready 1-turn away from being produced
    • Reenforce Pacific Islands, esp. Philippines ASAP. Great for landing planes + it swings the income scale 6 IPP in Axis favour if lost to Japan
    • UK Seaplanes (Sunderlands) are superior to US Seaplanes (Catalinas). If you want US to have have Seaplanes, Lend Lease some with UK (you can always LL the money back…)
    • Don’t let your Pacific fleet get killed in the Japanese surprise attack…

Good point Munck! I wasn’t even thinking about Lend lease when posting, but that’s very valid! Agreed, I always lend lease every turn if possible. Interesting about Iran, how do you lend lease to a neutral country? I thought you had to be controlled or aligned to lend lease?

Lend leasing is probably the one true consistent thing to do early on as the US I’m thinking.

• @Chris_Henry:

Good point Munck! I wasn’t even thinking about Lend lease when posting, but that’s very valid! Agreed, I always lend lease every turn if possible. Interesting about Iran, how do you lend lease to a neutral country? I thought you had to be controlled or aligned to lend lease?

As soon as a neutral nation is attacked, all major nations can send Lend Lease.

@Munck:

@Chris_Henry:

As soon as a neutral nation is attacked, all major nations can send Lend Lease.

Got it, you meant once the country is controlled then. By neutral I thought you meant literally that no one had bothered it in any way yet. Thanks!

• I haven’t played America as much as I would like, but I’ve toyed with the idea of a doing a pacific feint followed by Atlantic surge.

Building my ships in the pacific and moving aggressively to Hawaii, then timing it with the inclusion into the war; over two turns pulling back to Atlantic and sweeping into Europe with deadly and decisive force.
    Japan will never fall unless by stupidity. Their cheap militia and mountains makes it impossible to kill. So I wonder if i scared the Japanese first to limit them and then went Atlantic surge; if I could kick the euro Axis out of the war in a quick and efficient way.

• Playing the USA is a bit tricky. It’s really a different situation based on how the Axis go about things (mostly with Japan, if they go for a straight takeover of china, or going for dutch, etc.)

I’ve noticed that especially if you do the 1936 setup, that it’s important that the USA focuses it’s early turns on ground forces. The factories can keep up no problem earlier on, and it starts with an OK navy. Later when they start making more, they can easily build up transports, and be ready to throw it’s forces in right away when the war starts, especially if the Atlantic is under control.

I’ve noticed otherwise that it’s hard to compete with the Japanese navy, especially if the campaigns are going well for them in China and other places. I’ve started coordinating with England to put a large part of their overall navy into the pacific to really put a dent into their forces in order for the USA to finish them off well.

That’s what I’ve gotten to understand from the few games that I’ve played.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m