HBG Markers Magnetized, troops with Washers…what think?

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

I saw General Hand Grenades videos of troops being glued to the markers. I like that but same breath don’t….so thought about this idea.

Washer hot glued to the bottom of troops/calvary. (Side bonus gives them even more stability and weight to prevent possible tipping over if not on the marker.)

Then a hole drilled in bottom of the marker big enough for the size magnet you have. (I have a crap load of magnets left over from my days of micro armor when I was magnetizing the turrets so they would spin and yet stay on the tank. (With benefit of showing a tank wreck by separating it and having it to the side of the wreck.)

I wish could find thinner washers but also don’t want to increase cost to horrendous heights.

It pained me to not drill exactly into the center of the markers but since the washers have no center needed to drill slightly to the side so the troop would be in the middle of the marker.

To lift just the troop off the marker without lifting the marker just slightly press down then tip the troop over and comes right up. (2nd Marine marker drilled all the way through on accident and it is attracted more so takes a tad more to separate them.)

I am contemplating painting the troops bases and the size of the markers. For example The US Marine divisions marker I think will paint Red as well as a few of the Marine white markers (or wait for US Marine markers to get back into stock) to represent the Elite Marines which technically could be a max total of 36 but don’t think that would ever happen.

The militia troops I think I am at 98% sure will paint the bases of them yellow just for easier identification.

The airborne think will paint the the airborne emblem on the base of the allied troops and not the whole base. For the Axis nations that dont have that emblem might just paint the general shape of it…or a sticker printed out…or not 100% sure.

Calvary…I am leaning to doing grey for the bases of the piece. Then the markers do the side as well grey. As purchased the US Calvary division markers and German Calvary markers…

I shared an album on icloud that all should be able to look at as didn’t want to mess with trying to size the photos…call me lazy…or wanting to spend my time on doing stupid magnetizing and drilling. :O)

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0P5qXGF1fYzHw

Or am I just going to far?  :|

• I think what you’re doing is awesome and you should keep on keeping on. That’s me, though.

-Midnight_Reaper

• '17 Customizer

Here is what I did with magnets (some videos).  Had my board printed on steel.  Has worked well.  I think I will might do flags instead of the chips/tokens.  I kinda went overboard but once I began…well…

It makes playing easier, no chips to deal with.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-mlMh7JpS3RqCC1jEh9QOA

• '18 '17 '16

Great idea! Another thing you could have done is drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the infantry and put a magnet there instead of a washer. That’s what I do with my aircraft.

Yea thats what I have done with my aircraft but then your troops might have enough attraction to each other to cause issues.

Got FMG/INWGU stands and did that to most of my aircraft for all my A&A games. As well as carriers put two inside them. I did have a few issues with some of HBG airplanes and their “landing gear” and not lining up on a carrier how I would like them to.

@sjelso:

Here is what I did with magnets (some videos).  Had my board printed on steel.  Has worked well.  I think I will might do flags instead of the chips/tokens.  I kinda went overboard but once I began…well…

It makes playing easier, no chips to deal with.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-mlMh7JpS3RqCC1jEh9QOA

That exactly what I ended up doing for my aircraft. With the longer magnets.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m