• I have 1941 with the 15 us iPcs on the board and old manual. I would like to buy one with the updated numbers (I know the manuals are available but I want the board too). Is there a way (mfg date etc) to tell before purchase that it contains the updated information ? Did they even do a run of boards with the updated information?

• I know of no way to tell if a copy of A&A 1941 has the original information or the revised information. But if you are looking for an official source for the revised / clarified setup for '41, you can go to Avalon Hill’s official website for a copy of the Official Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) list. Just go the website linked below, find the row for A&A 1941 and the column for FAQ, click on the round button with the “?” inside, and your computer will download the FAQy goodness.

http://avalonhill.wizards.com/rules

Direct link to the A&A '41 FAQ: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/ah/AA_1941_FAQ.pdf

_Midnight_Reaper

• Thank you. Yes I have printed FAQ sheets for players to look at, I just would love to have one less caveat to explain to players every time.

• FYI: The only difference between the original and updated 1941 sets is the rulebook. The board is still printed with United States starting IPC incorrectly marked at 15.

• Speaking of the rulebook, the Germany setup calles for the use of six tanks. I don’t use the tank in North Africa. Does it really matter?

• @Topmat:

Speaking of the rulebook, the Germany setup calles for the use of six tanks. I don’t use the tank in North Africa. Does it really matter?

Four of those six tanks are in territories where two tanks are stationed (Eastern Europe & Ukraine). I imagine the expectation is that you place a chip under one tank in one or both of those territories and then you can place six tanks on the board.

As for how much it matter, I guess that depends on how much Germany and the UK contest North Africa in your group. There are two IPCs up for grabs in Africa - one in Egypt and one in South Africa. Normally that would be peanuts, but with the reduced number of IPCs available all over, I don’t know if the Axis can be so casual about not grabbing all of the IPCs within their reach.

-Midnight_Reaper

• I usually bring the tank in North Africa back to Europe for the battles against Russia.

Alternatively I have seen it used to take Gibraltar and deny the UK fighter on the carrier a landing space, but then the tank is likely to be stranded there for the rest of the game. In any case the fighter is easy to kill if G is using its air.

The other option would be to bring units across from Europe to add to an attack on Egypt. Contrary to M_R I regard the 2 ipcs in Africa as a minor distraction. Moscow is the path to victory! :-)

• So you think I should use 6 tanks. I haven’t even played the game that way. Thanks Midnight Reaper.

• @Topmat:

So you think I should use 6 tanks. I haven’t even played the game that way. Thanks Midnight Reaper.

I think you should play with every piece in the setup. Especially the revised / corrected setup, which adds a Destroyer off the east coast of the US (sea zone 11), 3 infantry in Moscow, and 1 infantry in the formerly empty Northwestern China territory.

Link to the FAQ, with the revised setup, already posted up thread.

-Midnight_Reaper

• I’ve already seen the FAQ. I will start setting up my board this way from now on. Thanks.

• @Private:

I usually bring the tank in North Africa back to Europe for the battles against Russia.
    {snip}
    The other option would be to bring units across from Europe to add to an attack on Egypt. Contrary to M_R I regard the 2 ipcs in Africa as a minor distraction. Moscow is the path to victory! :-)

I didn’t say that you had to go for those 2 IPCs. But if the UK evacuates Africa to reinforce India, I’ll take a “free” 2 IPCs. As I said, going for it or not depends in part on how much the group you play with contests Africa. Some groups fight to the death, some groups have better things to do.

I do agree that without regard for any other theater: for the Axis, victory runs through Moscow.

• Yes M_R, the dynamics of the will change with different groups. In my two 1941 groups G has to go for Africa from the off, or its Med TT will have gone.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m