• So, my buddy just got A&A 1940 Europe, and a few friends are having a game night, drawing straws to see who plays what country.

So, I wanted to make sure I have a few of the rules correct

1. Combined units require 1:1 ratio, does this include destroyers? example: I am attacking 2 subs with a destroyer, battleship and 2 fighters. Can only one fighter hit the sub or both?
    2. Is there a limit to how many units any air craft carriers or transports can take?

I also wanted to make sure I have the general strategy for each nation correct…
    UK -> Defend Africa and establish naval superiority to help Americas cross the Atlantic
    French -> Take out as many axis in defense as possible on your way down
    America -> Build up as big of force as possible while safely making your way across the Atlantic. Entering in either Italy or France (Italy is preferred)
    Germans -> Aggressive from the get go, hitting the UK Navy, Taking France and prepping an invasion to Moscow while prepping defense from the America.
    Italy -> Hit Africa hard and try to get Russia to defend its southern borders
    Russia -> I struggle with, my gut says to build up a bunch of Infantry and just make it hard for the Germans to take key ground, but I can’t think of anything useful they can do outside of this.

• Hello amd welcome to the forum, Trapslick.
    The Art/Inf amd Ft/Tac or Tank/Tac does have to be one to one to get the plus one attavk bonus. 
    Destroyers are different. You only need one to allow Air units to see a Sub. Then as many as you can bring to  the combat will all get to roll in that Sea Zone’s combat.
    I hope that clears up your query.
    Enjoy your games and come back any time with questions.

• @Trapslick:

Is there a limit to how many units any air craft carriers or transports can take?

Air Craft Carriers can carry 2 planes (Tactical Bombers or Fighters, Strategic Bombers cannot land on carriers. So the possible combinations are 2 fighters, 2 Tac Bombers, or 1 Fighter and 1 Tac Bomber). Transports can carry any 1 land unit + an infantry (so 1 infantry + tank, 1 infantry + artillery, 2 infantry, etc.)

Your basic strategy is correct (there really isn’t much Russia can do in this game but delay the inevitable and save as many troops as possible for Moscow), though I’d emphasize the UK’s immediate priority is dissuading a Sea Lion attack (easy) and establishing Naval supremacy in the Med (usually not that hard after the Taranto Raid).
    I would also heavily recommend taking S. France on Germany’s first turn and looking to help the Italians in the Med. In order to win as the Axis, you need 8 Victory cities, which means you have to take either Cairo or London, and the easiest time to take these are early game before the America come’s barreling in. It’s tricky, but this game definitely isn’t friendly to the Axis powers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m