Tips on countering Axis aggression? (1941 scenario)

• Let me preface by saying we opt out of technology and national objectives.

Our 1941 games tend to go the same way, always resulting in axis wins.

G1:
    send 2 subs, 1 fighter, 1 bomber to sz2 to take out the battleship & transport, land plans in Norway
    Send everything that can reach to baltic states to guarantee taking Karelia factory G2.
    send everything that can reach (except that bomber) to Egypt to make taking Egypt easy for Italy (note, a UK fighters usually survives)
    Make other minor moves.
    Fortify France.
    J1:
    2 fighters in SZ61 take out UK destroyer & transport in SZ35
    other ships in SZ61 take out US destroyer & transport in SZ50
    4 fighters in SZ57 take out  US destroyer & transport in SZ56.
    Japan uses all other resources to easily take 2 to 4 chinese territories, kwangtung, bornea, burma, & east indies leaving many options open for J2 like taking more of China, The Philippines, or India.

I1: take Egypt if Germany didn’t, Trans-Jordan if they did.

So, what can the allies do to counter this, considering Axis takes out 4 transports and cripples UK income?
    Does Russia fortify or abandon Karelia? If they fortify, should UK be landing fighters there?
    Does UK build a factory, and if so, where? If not, ships or planes?
    What should US be doing? So far, the best US strategy by far has been 100% bombers, but that’s boring…

• Just some general thoughts, nothing too specific.

It looks like the Axis left a lot of UK ships alive, so Britain can just plop down a carrier or two and be protected for a long time. Also, it appears the US Battleship in Hawaii is still alive, that’s awesome. Pull the US fleet back to California and consolidate, beef it up a bit (including at least one transport) and make Japan have to worry about that threat. It takes a little steam out of their Asia offensive. On the Atlantic side, use US bombers and transports to harass Germany, using the strong UK fleet to protect your transports in the Atlantic.

It seems to me that the US buying only bombers is a one-dimensional strategy that won’t have a huge impact beyond strategic bombing, but that’s marginally worthwhile anyway unless you get really lucky with the AA guns missing all game. Plus that gives Japan a totally free hand, which will usually sink the allies. Bombers are better when can also support a couple of transports to take France or other European targets, or when they can support your Pacific fleet. By themselves, they aren’t going to win the game for you, in my opinion.

Also, losing Karelia in the 2nd turn isn’t the end for Russia, so don’t defend Karelia unless you are going to win. It’s not worth losing 10-12 infantry just to do some damage to the Germans. Let 'em take it, but leave a large force adjacent to make Germany stack it. That will delay their offensive and possibly allow for breakthroughs elsewhere, and hopefully Britain or US can get a factory going in Norway to help that front a bit.

It’s tough to play Allies in this game, but you just have to be level-headed when it looks like you are losing and continue chipping away at the Axis until they crack. Do not ignore Japan or they will be making 70 per turn and pumping out 6-8 tanks in mainland factories in no time. If Japan has to buy ships to keep the US from attacking them, they can’t threaten Russia as quickly. If Germany has to retake France every turn, they can’t sustain an offensive against the Russians.

In short, the allies are all about making every little thing more difficult for the Axis, and hopefully that adds up in the end.

• I would like to add that I haven’t played without National Objectives so maybe my advice means nothing. The US benefits from NOs a lot, so maybe that will help the Allies?

• Also read this post about UK Factories, pretty good analysis.

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38193.0

• @USS:

I would like to add that I haven’t played without National Objectives so maybe my advice means nothing. The US benefits from NOs a lot, so maybe that will help the Allies?

Actually, the allies lose their National Objectives quickly, whilst the Axis attain (and keep)  theirs.  This makes playing with National Objectives more advantages to the axis.

Overall, no NOs means IPC income is less for all involved.  Units are more valuable, especially reusable ones (like planes and transports).  Once the allies make this initial investment(s) in these type of units and does not lose them, the can have a fighting chance in the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m