• Founder TripleA Admin

We don’t have any explicit forum rules about repeatedly asking the same questions but usual forum etiquette is to search first, then ask.

How would people feel about making the etiquette here just the opposite? I’d like a place to send new players who have questions and I don’t want to burden them with researching the answer first. Mostly because if they researched first, they probably wouldn’t have to ask the questions (remember we’re talking new players here).

Also, have we already been operating this way here?

• I have always understood this section as a place to ask for “help” that other forums do not distinctly cover.

For example new players ask for help concerning a 1940 global rules question - this should go to “Global 1940”.
    For example new players ask for help concerning a TripleA software issue - this should go to “Software”.

Those questions asked by “New Players” should not go to “Player Help”, IMHO - as this would create sort of a multi-subject-chaos and redundancies.

But questions for “help” concerning common problems, that cannot distinctly be assigned to another forum, do belong here.
    From the variety of the latest topics here we can see, that there is not much repetition or redundancy.

All in all I don’t feel the need for a special etiquette on this section of the forum… it is not overloaded and not too frequented, IMHO.

@djensen:

Also, have we already been operating this way here?

Yes, I think so … I cannot remember any answer here that instructed the questioner to search for an answer before posting.

But: We probably need to better describe the search function of the forum.
    My feeling is that some users are distracted by the Google searchbar, that gives “suboptimal” results.
    The more elaborated “Search” function to be found in the menu does not appear to be very well known (and used).

• Such questions almost always engender helpful replies dj rather than instructions to re-read the rules or search the forum. There are many members only too happy to help.

• Like Panther has said, I would answer any question asked as if it had not been asked before. I do not want to scare off or antagonise any new member or questioner. It is not hard to be polite and helpful.

• @P@nther:

But: We probably need to better describe the search function of the forum.
    My feeling is that some users are distracted by the Google searchbar, that gives “suboptimal” results.
    The more elaborated “Search” function to be found in the menu does not appear to be very well known (and used).

The more elaborate search function is missing on most peoples pages. We only have the crappy google one.

• @Bob77:

The more elaborate search function is missing on most peoples pages. We only have the crappy google one.

This is how the menu looks when I am not logged in:

This is how the menu looks when I am logged in:

This is how the search looks like:

Of course you have to be logged in to use this feature.
    But are you saying that some most members don’t have that feature despite being logged in?

• '17 '16 '15

Even though I’ve probably seen it hundreds of times i never used the search button. Always did the google one. I guess I must’ve just thought they were the same but really I didn’t even think of it as a option.

If the top bar was made bigger or a different color that might help. I was on here for months before I even realized I had a message. It just doesn’t stand out much.

I’ll never use the google one again : )

• Sorry, dont know how to screen shot…here is the copy paste method…from left to right mine reads…

HOME HELP PROFILE MY MESSAGES MEMBERS AACALC LOGOUT

Custom Search
    Search
    … The “custom search” above is the text in the google typing field/window
    The “search” above is the command to start the google search.

I read somewhere in this forum that only certain levels of donors have the good search function. I assumed this would be taken care of with the new software since dj shoehorned the first announcement in a discussion concerning this same search bar issue

• @Bob77:

Sorry, dont know how to screen shot…here is the copy paste method…from left to right mine reads…

HOME HELP PROFILE MY MESSAGES MEMBERS AACALC LOGOUT

Custom Search
    Search
    … The “custom search” above is the text in the google typing field/window
    The “search” above is the command to start the google search.

I read somewhere in this forum that only certain levels of donors have the good search function. I assumed this would be taken care of with the new software since dj shoehorned the first announcement in a discussion concerning this same search bar issue

Interesting, and good point then! So the task would be to not only describe (how to find) the search function but to also point out the criteria to be able to use it.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I disabled search for everybody but I guess moderators can see it.

The built in search was bringing the database to it’s knees so I switched to the Google Custom Search.

The new forum software will restore searching and it’ll be fast. We’re mostly waiting on TripleA to implement integration with the new stuff.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m