• Hello all, just signed up.

I just got AA50 and am reading that the Allies are slightly disadvantaged. I also noted that there’s no representation of the Richelieu in the game. I’d like to house rule that the cruiser off of southern France be upgraded to a battleship. I know a lot of the imbalance in the game comes from the Japanese navy, but this could be a step in the right direction? I was thinking this and maybe an Ally bid of 10.

What does everyone think?

• Sponsor

Upgrading the French cruiser to a Battleship is a good idea, welcome to the forums.

• @Ferris1971:

Hello all, just signed up.

I just got AA50 and am reading that the Allies are slightly disadvantaged. I also noted that there,s no representation of the Richelieu in the game. I’d like to house rule that the cruiser off of southern France be upgraded to a battleship. I know a lot of the imbalance in the game comes from the Japanese navy, but this could be a step in the right direction? I was thinking this and maybe an Ally bid of 10.

What does everyone think?

Well neither the Richelieu nor the Jean Bart were completed by the fall of France (though the Richelieu was near completion)… to be honest, A&A game-scale of units is really iffy and up for a lot of interpretation. While a lot of people like to assume or assign gamescale to ships (is one battleship on the gameboard ONE battleship?) you will end up with a LOT of ships that aren’t represented in the game (for example, lets just say both Japan and the US have THREE battleships on the game-board… that is a nice sized fleet for A&A, but heck, that doesn’t even cover half of either nation’s battleships… same for carriers… i’ve seen some people put names on A&A carriers for instance, but the Japanese used SIX carriers at Pearl Harbor alone… how many games have six Japanese carriers on the board?). I’m also guilty of writing a really long run-on sentence I believe. Let’s be honest, a lot of us (self included) are saying this or that ship on the board is this or that ship when gamescale is so up for grabs (but it’s fun, isn’t it?). I just want to see how many have a German battleship and claim its the Gneisenau, not the Bismarck.

Back to the other point… by all means, upgrade it to a Battleship if its for game-balance purposes… but there aren’t any French units in Anniversary… and there are plenty of British battleships to choose from if one unit is one battleship!

Happy New Year everyone!  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m