• I’ve been deep in WW1. Thought I might start some discussion. How is everyone?

Who do you think is the greatest German Leader in WW1?

• Wilhelm is my personal hero of mine. I even have a painting of him on the wall

• @Imperious:

Wilhelm is my personal hero of mine. I even have a painting of him on the wall

With his lame arm ?

• Both arms and yes the withered one too. Do they have pictures of his arm cut off?

• Customizer

@Imperious:

Both arms and yes the withered one too. Do they have pictures of his arm cut off?

What, he had three arms? All that inbreeding amongst European i.e. German royalty!

• This is difficult to answer because “You are Kaiser Wilhelm, who do you choose as Commander in Chief?” and “Who do you think is the greatest German Leader in WW1?” are two very different questions.  The first one seems to be about who Wilhelm would have chosen, which gets into the area of his judgement (which was fickle at best) and his ego (which was fairly substantial), and which necessarily has to be viewed from the perspective that Wilhelm would have had at the time.  The second one seems to be more limited in scope (in the sense that it involves a technical assessment, with Wilhelm being removed from the equation), and it can be viewed from today’s perspective of a century later.  About half the names on the list (such as Falkenheyn) can be eliminated, on the grounds that they actually did hold supreme command (or a near equivalent) at some point and failed to win (in some cases, being sacked for that failure).  Of the remaining names, August von Mackensen would be one of the good ones from the European theatre, and von Lettow-Vorbeck deserves high marks for his guerrilla-style campaign in Africa.  Max Hoffmann would be a good name to add.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

May we choose Oscar de Hutier as symbolic of the “Prussian doctrine of Auftragstaktik (‘mission-based tactics’)”

and therefore the only one who actually intended to change the game ;)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m