How do you break through the Danish Strait as Allies?

• I’ve only played 5 games of Global 40, but I’ve yet to see the Allies even come close to breaking through the Danish strait.  Germany always decimates the British navy on Turn 1, and by the time the British can rebuild it (if they even can), Germany has the opportunity to stack enough Infantry and AAA guns to make taking Denmark a fool’s errand - at least for Britain alone.  Even if the U.S. brings a flotilla of carriers and transports over, Germany still has enough time to stack it such that taking it is far more trouble than it’s worth and at relatively little cost to Germany.

And even if you did get lucky and take it, you’d likely have too few men to hold it for a turn so you could use the straight.  I guess if the U.S. reinforces you, you might could hold it a turn, but it seems that if the U.S. has that much presence in the area, then A) Germany will see it coming and be prepared, and B) the U.S. is is probably having to yield the Pacific to Japan in order to threaten Germany with enough force.

All this is to say that the Allies seem to have little to no hope of entering the Baltic unless Germany is careless.  It sure seems to make attacking Germany’s north-west front almost impossible.  I don’t know why I find that so surprising, but I do.  It just seems… wrong(?) to allow a single territory to deny access to an entire region to their opponents so effectively with so little cost.

Has anyone else found this frustrating/baffling?  Am I missing something?  Is there an easy way to circumvent/take the strait that I’m not seeing?

• This is one of the few aspects of the game that is historical: the western allied navies never entered the Baltic.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

You have it right, when german is powerful he can stand out (112) and when hes not he can hide.

In G42 but also G40 (variants) there are situations where you can demolish Denmark, if Germany is careless he cant defend both West Germany and Denmark.  If potentially you could take over Denmark with the US and then the UK could move through and so then he has to defend 3 zones (and a SZ), not just 1.    Since the number of zones to defend is ever larger than that (Norway Normandy, Rome) a weak or unsuspecting player may leave you with the chance to capture your choice of whichever is weakest.

However, Denmark is actually more strategic than WG and you can take WG back, so given a choice, a smart player will defend Denmark instead of either Germany or West Germany

US then UK can attack then stack on top of each other.  UK planes and stuff can land in support.

If you can take it in force, and also demolish take WG (factory downgrade), then you are causing him major problems but this is not until later in the game.    Even so, Germany can usually push you back and then its just a dance back and forth with Germany having x2 the cash of UK, so this is actually the worst way to attack the Axis (through the middle east or med is better, attacking japan even better).

if you want some variant rules, you could say that Denmark has the same rule as Gibraltar (subs can pass regardless of control).  Its nice to make subs fun.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

This is one of the few aspects of the game that is historical: the western allied navies never entered the Baltic.

That’s a lie, USSR operated combat operations in the Baltic.

• @Caesar:

@calvinhobbesliker:

This is one of the few aspects of the game that is historical: the western allied navies never entered the Baltic.

That’s a lie, USSR operated combat operations in the Baltic.

I said WESTERN allied navies.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

USA land in Denmark; UK sail ships in, take berlin.

• Well to answer the question it is very obvious.

USA blows into Denmark from SZ91 with their massive stack and then the UK follow up with their stack into Germany to take out the capital or reinforce the USA push into Denmark. Just like Italy opens up Russia for Germany.

SO

If you are playing Germany do you stack Denmark every turn with 2 INF and leave Normandy or Belgium the weak area on the W. Front?

How do you defend S.France from the USA bridge plan of attack? USA blows in, UK reinforces, and now threatens Pairs Liberation or North Italy?

• The only reasons to get Denmark as Allies is to deny the NO, get a shot at Berlin, or draw German forces west.  The Baltic Sea itself is not a big deal.

There are so many other ways to hurt Germany.  If he has that one so well guarded, hit him where he isn’t.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m