(1st edition) Russian political situation

• Been playing a bit by the OOB rules lately (1st edition)…

Russia has been declaring war vs Japan on turn-1.  Not even to attack, but more as a loop-hole to allow them to non-combat into the pro-alliy neutrals and to collect their NO for Archangel.

I don’t have an issue with this, but I can’t help but wonder if we are missing some drawback or restriction.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

The declaration essentially applies only to the Pacific map, so

1. the declaration itself has no Mongolian implications, it just permits Russia to enter China
    2. they still can’t invade NWP or leave Russia on that map, until Germany declares or Japan attacks US
      3)  The NO I think is for war on the West map, so only during war with Germany v Russia

The declaration is gratuitous–make it every game.  Russia v. Japan.  no movement of pieces is required and no NO is directly affected by this, it simply allows you in to China.  It would of course also be required to attack Japanese territory, if you dare do so R1-R4.  I don’t think you can enter UK PAC either, until Russia is at war with both Germany and Japan.

It is the attack on Korea, Manchuria, or a Japan controlled territory next to Mongolia that implicates those rules, not the declaration of war.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Probably worth pointing out that 1ed rules may contain other language that does support the “loopholes” you mentioned, these may have been tweaked during 2nd ed to correspond to the interpretation I laid out.

• @taamvan:

Probably worth pointing out that 1ed rules may contain other language that does support the “loopholes” you mentioned, these may have been tweaked during 2nd ed to correspond to the interpretation I laid out.

According to the 1st edition rules, the only condition for entering friendly neutrals is being at war.  Likewise, the Archangel NO does not specify which nations Russia needs to be at war with.

Maybe they changed this for 2nd edition, but right now I am interested in 1st edition because that’s what we are playing.  I’m trying to track down a 1st edition FAQ to clear everything up.

• Ive never played 1st ed. I dont see why rus couldnt enter uk pac territories if rus dow jap.no im going to look for that faq

• @Bob77:

Ive never played 1st ed. I dont see why rus couldnt enter uk pac territories if rus dow ���.no im going to look for that faq

I’d appreciate that.

I can’t seem to find it on Google, BGG, or WotC’s page.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

I understand that the language doesn’t cover the situation here, but that’s because they saw the exploit that you’re using and patched it.

You can play OOB A1+ setup without playing by the obsolete ruleset, was what I was suggesting.

• The one above is pac map.
    This is euro
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://axisallies.com/rules/axis-allies-rules-europe1940-corrections-faqs.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiXmNrTrrLXAhVklVQKHa7cBx4QFghGMAY&usg=AOvVaw1APt4SY2na7cK0hYeayk39 
    Neither faq seems to address your issue and i never played it. I would double check the political situation area. Thats where its at in 2nd ed

• The Political Situation

Germany. At war with France, UK, and ANZAC. May declare war on USA, the Soviet Union, or China per the standard rules. Declaring war on one nation does not affect the status with the two.

Soviet Union. Not at war. May not declare war on an Axis power in Europe until turn four unless an Axis power declares war first. May declare war on Japan (the rule book indicates the game setting is before the non-agression pact, which was signed in 1941). When not at war with Japan, may not move units into China.

So with your original questions
    Russia still neutral on euro map. Cant take any neutral territories on euro map until at war with italy&/or germany.

• Version 2 says that in order to get any USSR NO, you have to be at war with Germany or Italy. Declaring war on Japan just allows non combat into China. Bob pointing out this is true for version 1.

• @Caesar:

Version 2 says that in order to get any USSR NO, you have to be at war with Germany or Italy. Declaring war on Japan just allows non combat into China. Bob pointing out this is true for version 1.

You could also ncm into pac map allies…not just china

• If USSR managed to move units into India or FIC, I would be questioning USSR and wondering how Japan allowed that.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

That creates all new possibilities, awesome point.

• I’ve taken those eastern USSR units into China before just to keep the Chinese in the game and it forces Japan to counter it.

• Russia could also move planes into England, forcing Germany to declare war if they go Sea Lion.

• Unfortunately, no. If rus is not at war with ger or italy, rus can not have any land or air units in another players territory on euro map. Rus ships (including planes on aircraft carrier)  may share seazone with with anyplayer while neutral.

• @Bob77:

Unfortunately, no. If rus is not at war with ger or italy, rus can not have any land or air units in another players territory on euro map. Rus ships (including planes on aircraft carrier)  may share seazone with with anyplayer while neutral.

That’s true in 2nd edition, this thread is about 1st edition rules.

• I posted the first edition FAQs earlier in this thread. Please take the time to read them.

• I appreciate that.

I’d read the doc, but must have missed that in the errata.   :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m