• Hey everybody, need some advise here.

I’m just getting back into A&A and I’m already running introductory games with AA1941 with a grouup of beginners. Naturally, there’s already talk of stepping up to a more advanced version and I had plans for AA1942 se when the time was right. The wife however, threw a monkey wrench in the works and got me the AA50 reprint for our “anniversary” (Get it!) I told her I was disappointed I missed out on it years ago and was being reprinted. Truthfully, I was a bit on the fence about getting this myself because I had some concerns how AA50 fits into the current lineup because it seems a bit “Last Generation” as far as rules. 1942 even has more territories. If I’m training up a group with 1941 to one day hopefully play 1940 Global, where does AA50 fit into this? and is it still worth it to pick up AA1942 se?

• I would buy it. They are all the same game, but each one has its own “flavor”.

• '17 '16

AA50 includes 6 powers.
    More money to spend.
    There is also NOs.
    And Techs.
    You can easily use Second edition rules, once you get AAA from another 2nd ed. version.
    Or use control marker to identify AAguns allegiance.
    There is only the 5 IPCs Tank issue to solve.

Otherwise, it seems to me that AA50 is a step closer to G40.

• @evmiller:

Hey everybody, need some advise here.

Truthfully, I was a bit on the fence about getting this myself because I had some concerns how AA50 fits into the current lineup because it seems a bit “Last Generation” as far as rules. 1942 even has more territories. If I’m training up a group with 1941 to one day hopefully play 1940 Global, where does AA50 fit into this? and is it still worth it to pick up AA1942 se?

1942.se and AA50 are very similar… the differences are mostly flavor, though the core game experience is essentially the same.

1942.se and AA50 are both a big improvement over 1941 and both are more-or-less halfway points on the road to a full G40 game. AA50 is probably a little closer to Global in feel, if not specifically in rules refinements… for example a MUCH MORE involved China (in both territories and rules) and a separate Italian power, neither of which are features of 1942.se.

Should you get 1942.se? Really depends on what you’re looking for… I’d say it probably plays a tad quicker than AA50, it has a few rules refinements (though nothing massively drastic)… but I don’t think its going to fill a massive whole in your lineup… its really if you want a slightly faster game, are a completionist, and/or want more unit sculpts to use with other games… if you view 42se/AA50 as a step towards the ultimate goal of mostly playing Global exclusively, I probably wouldn’t bother with 42se if you’re looking to save money… if money isn’t a problem and you’re a completionist, go ahead and pick it up.

• '19 '17 '16

Give your wife a big kiss.

1942se has a lot of problems. I haven’t played anniversary, only 1941, classic, 1942.2 and Global. However, AA50 is well and truly loved by all accounts. 1942se isn’t so loved, enough that there is a semi official patch which does play better but still has a lot of limitations.

A main problem with Global is that it takes so long to play. AA50 is better in this respect because everyone is at war from the start.

• '19

A50 is the best game out there as much as I love global.  Everything about the game is great.  1942.2 is good, but can’t even come close to A50 and has problems with the set up as the axis can easily overwhelm the allies within the first few turns.  They have come up with new rules and set ups to make the game more balance which is great but it still can’t compare to A50.  A50 like I said hands down for me is the best all around axis and allies game. 👍

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m